Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out riding with my son today, very spirited. Stopped to take a photo and immediately noticed brake fluid all over exhaust and frame, black cap missing. Definitely there on leaving home. Rang dealer, "it's been taken off, several people said theirs missing. Some in our shop gone missing" def not taken off as we with bike all time from leaving home.
Wonder if not put back on properly after 1st service!
So check yours is on properly. So I have to pay for new one.

Happened to anyone else's?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heads up to anyone this happens to: brake fluid is extremely corrosive. If you have any on painted or anodized parts, wipe it off and clean the area thoroughly to save yourself a huge headache.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heads up to anyone this happens to: brake fluid is extremely corrosive. If you have any on painted or anodized parts, wipe it off and clean the area thoroughly to save yourself a huge headache.
Michael did that on my return cheers

Will post pic tomorrow. I heard a loud noise whilst on that ride and was convinced when I stopped the headlamp or such would have a hole in it! Was the bang and cap missing connected?! Don't think you can pop the cap off with hard braking as the pressure is the opposite way we me thinks! I was riding real hard

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could the loud bang be a stone or other debris hitting the cap and knocking it off?

It's extremely unlikely it would have been removed at service, they would just do a visual inspection of the level.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine wasn't tight when I washed the bike yesterday.maybe they slowly loosen with vibrations?
I will check it regularly!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Out riding with my son today, very spirited. Stopped to take a photo and immediately noticed brake fluid all over exhaust and frame, black cap missing. Definitely there on leaving home. Rang dealer, "it's been taken off, several people said theirs missing. Some in our shop gone missing" def not taken off as we with bike all time from leaving home.

The same thing happended to me whilst touring in France last month- Id assumed it had been knocked off by my heel whilst trying to get extra ground clearance- i find my feet hit the floor too easily on curves. I called into a bike store in Cahors, a very helpful chap, but he didnt have a replacement cap, anyway he bled the brake topped up the fluid and make a makeshift cover with some rubber and cable ties. The repairs been good for 1800 miles.
I still need to fix it - so ducati will not do it for free?

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealer would fix free. No matter my mechanic gave me one, the caps are £3.20 . All sorted now and will be checked regularly

·
Registered
3 Posts

I had the same issue, iI took the bike to work and then to the shop for the first service. But the time I got there the cap was gone..
Will this be an issue with the Scramblers????

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I had the same issue, iI took the bike to work and then to the shop for the first service. But the time I got there the cap was gone..
Will this be an issue with the Scramblers????
No. I checked after reading this thread and I can say that after almost 2500 miles of very brisk and bumpy road riding my cap is still firmly screwed on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me just a few days after getting my Scrambler, the rubber seal in the reservoir was all messed up and the brake did not work anymore. To make matters worse, it was during the monsoons here in India so there was probably some water contamination in the fluid as well. Ducati Service bled the brakes and gave me a replacement for free...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts