Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I plan to buy an Icon soon, I dig mostly all-black bikes and I don't mind small pops of yellow. That said I want to minimize the yellow a bit.

I'm playing with the configurator and looking at what accessories I should get on the bike to start. I've made up my mind for the "Aluminium variable section handlebar," and now I'm looking at tank side panels.

On the configurator, the carbon side panels look sharp, but man are they pricey ($890 USD). I also have the option for the black aluminum tank side covers, which are cheaper ($210) but somehow just don't look as good in the configurator.

Check out the photos of the carbon vs black aluminum. Am I crazy or does the carbon look WAY better?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My take on carbon fibre: it’s an addiction (and tbh, a pretty useless one). Once you have one part in cf, you’re going to want more.

Avoid the addiction and get a pair of black panels. Far more distinctive imho

·
Registered
181 Posts
i like my black pannels and think the CF will be a bit less contrast, but I do have other CF bits, or at least the bike has

·
Registered
181 Posts
different angle show the contrast between paint and panels. Again pictures dont do the bike any justice, you have to go see for youyrself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If I see carbon fibre on a bike I tend to think fake until told otherwise. I'd go black, my bike tank has been red then yellow and now black.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
different angle show the contrast between paint and panels. Again pictures dont do the bike any justice, you have to go see for youyrself.
Ok yeah in your photo the black panels look WAY better than on the configurator. Thanks so much for sharing, the bike's gorgeous.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noob question but what is this piece right here that both of you have blacked out? It looks great. Is it from Ducati or aftermarket?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Putting Carbon on a retro bike sounds counter-intuitive, but I'd recommend you look at carbonworld.de for better pricing.C

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Reactions: Middo821

·
Registered
936 Posts
We have the factory carbon panels on the Full Throttle. They are mind blowingly expensive and a total and utter ripoff imo. If we did not have a large store credit that had to be used on the bike there is no way on this Gods earth I would have acquired them. They look good but at list price they are simply not worth anything like what Ducati want for them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The exhaust heat shield come in black on the DS and CR, I ordered one as a replacement part, it wasn't very expensive. The carbon panels look great but they are a bit silly... it's not a race bike, what difference does a couple of grams make? If you were racing it, carbon wheels would be the order of the day :)

Good tip about the 797 belt covers Max, thanks. I'm also trying to get rid of all the silver accents.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The exhaust heat shield come in black on the DS and CR, I ordered one as a replacement part, it wasn't very expensive. The carbon panels look great but they are a bit silly... it's not a race bike, what difference does a couple of grams make? If you were racing it, carbon wheels would be the order of the day :)

Good tip about the 797 belt covers Max, thanks. I'm also trying to get rid of all the silver accents.

Ducatis and carbon go together like, well, Harleys and chrome.

The good thing is you don't have to polish carbon.

-Bob

·
Registered
936 Posts
The carbon panels look great but they are a bit silly... it's not a race bike, what difference does a couple of grams make?
Has anybody other than you mentioned weight savings?
On the FT we got the carbon panels and front guard purely for looks. Weight was never a consideration. If the products had been faux carbon with same same texture and colour they would have been equally acceptable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FWIW it was never about performance/weight for me, just aesthetics. K1W1 I think they do look great on that bike.

That said, you all are confirming what my gut was telling me, that those carbon panels are WAY too expensive. To minimize the yellow I might go with the black aluminum ones which are 1/5 the price. Besides it seems that nearly every Scrambler owner modifies the bike visually in some way, and if I spent the $$ for the carbon panels I might feel compelled to keep them there no matter what.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts