Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Carbon side panels for a yellow/black Icon - worth it?

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  julian 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I plan to buy an Icon soon, I dig mostly all-black bikes and I don't mind small pops of yellow. That said I want to minimize the yellow a bit.

I'm playing with the configurator and looking at what accessories I should get on the bike to start. I've made up my mind for the "Aluminium variable section handlebar," and now I'm looking at tank side panels.

On the configurator, the carbon side panels look sharp, but man are they pricey ($890 USD). I also have the option for the black aluminum tank side covers, which are cheaper ($210) but somehow just don't look as good in the configurator.

Check out the photos of the carbon vs black aluminum. Am I crazy or does the carbon look WAY better?

See less See more
#15 ·
Reactions: Middo821
#16 ·
We have the factory carbon panels on the Full Throttle. They are mind blowingly expensive and a total and utter ripoff imo. If we did not have a large store credit that had to be used on the bike there is no way on this Gods earth I would have acquired them. They look good but at list price they are simply not worth anything like what Ducati want for them.

#17 ·
The exhaust heat shield come in black on the DS and CR, I ordered one as a replacement part, it wasn't very expensive. The carbon panels look great but they are a bit silly... it's not a race bike, what difference does a couple of grams make? If you were racing it, carbon wheels would be the order of the day :)

Good tip about the 797 belt covers Max, thanks. I'm also trying to get rid of all the silver accents.

#18 ·
Ducatis and carbon go together like, well, Harleys and chrome.

The good thing is you don't have to polish carbon.

-Bob

#20 ·
FWIW it was never about performance/weight for me, just aesthetics. K1W1 I think they do look great on that bike.

That said, you all are confirming what my gut was telling me, that those carbon panels are WAY too expensive. To minimize the yellow I might go with the black aluminum ones which are 1/5 the price. Besides it seems that nearly every Scrambler owner modifies the bike visually in some way, and if I spent the $$ for the carbon panels I might feel compelled to keep them there no matter what.

#22 ·
I decided that the Scrambler was the bike for me some time ago , a mixture of aesthetics and weight saving (abt 40kgs against my last bike). I was looking for a bike with some of the options I would have chosen at a price I wanted to pay. Whilst this bike fitted this criteria and more, I found it interesting that the first this I looked at on this Forum was what else I could change, or more precisely what everybody else was doing. So to bring it back to the thread , follow your own dreams and ideas and don't get caught up in the hype of what it should look like cause' it a scrambler or a ducati.

#24 ·
I found it interesting that the first this I looked at on this Forum was what else I could change, or more precisely what everybody else was doing. So to bring it back to the thread , follow your own dreams and ideas and don't get caught up in the hype of what it should look like cause' it a scrambler or a ducati.
I completely agree. To this point I've only seen the stock Scrambler in person, and loads of Instagram photos showing what can be done. Ducati's own configurator is a nice starting point to see what I can change and for how much money.

I do like the way the carbon panels look, but I think this thread has convinced me to go black aluminum at first. It's good to know that like ryanr256 pointed out, if I still can't get them out of my head they can be had much cheaper than the ones Ducati sells (those look identical)!

#23 ·
#26 ·
Hi all,

I plan to buy an Icon soon, I dig mostly all-black bikes and I don't mind small pops of yellow. That said I want to minimize the yellow a bit.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but if you want black with pops of yellow, have you considered the Full Throttle?

-Bob

#27 ·
if you want black with pops of yellow, have you considered the Full Throttle?
I absolutely have. The reason I lean towards the Icon is the FT is $1500 USD more where I am. I'd be committing to that much more money's worth of cosmetic changes. The Icon I view more as a "base" where I can start my own customization journey. And hell, maybe in the long term it will end up looking like the FT, but I can't be sure of that hence why I'm leaning towards the Icon. Does my logic check out?

#29 ·
Just in case this is useful to anyone, when I asked my dealer if he has the black aluminum tank covers in stock, he told me as of now (August 2018):

> The tank side covers has been superseded by another part which has not yet become available

I wonder if it's just a part number internal shuffle, or they're being replaced entirely by something different? Would be strange to get rid of those... :confused-48:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.