Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Someone on here has, a couple of folk I think - did you try a search. They look the biz but I'm guessing very exxy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is the only post I've seen where someone has actually installed them. BST claims 2.5kg per wheel weight loss, or 5.5 lbs.

https://www.scramblerforum.com/thre...-share-your-pictures.35441/page-7#post-232809

Unsprung weight is huge, so dropping from the factory wheels to something lighter will make a difference. How big, I cannot answer. You can find a decent amount of information on forums with poeple actually dyno'ing a car back to back to back, with different sets of wheels.

Link to Mercedes forum : Dyno Runs - The effects of wheel/tire weights on wheel horsepower - MBWorld.org Forums

Link to Vette forum : How much RWHP do those "heavy" wheels rob? Answers inside fresh from the dyno! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Obviously a motorcycle is completely different than a car, but I would guess that the results would still be measurable, and the butt dyno would feel a huge difference. Losing 5.5 lbs per wheel on a car is good, but 5.5 lbs per wheel on a bike is a MUCH higher percentage of the total weight. 5.5 lbs per wheel on a car is 22 lbs total, so on a 3300 lb car, that's 0.66% of the overall weight. 5.5 lbs per wheel on a bike would be 11 total, so on our bikes with a wet weight of ~420 lbs, that's 2.62% of the overall weight. 2.6% is pretty significant. Those wheels and a cat delete and the bike is under 400 lbs wet, that's a great power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I don't think it isn't even the power where you notice the biggest difference, but in road holding, suspension performance. Flicking the bike from side to side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think it isn't even the power where you notice the biggest difference, but in road holding, suspension performance. Flicking the bike from side to side.
This is also true. A whole lot going on here, 5.5 lbs per wheel is pretty significant.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Braking and acceleration are actually changed quite dramatically with lighter wheels. So as well as that quicker handling, there will be a noticeable improvement in how fast the bike feels I'm sure. I got chatting to a guy at a stand that was selling carbon wheels at Goodwood and he said it's often a surprise benefit for quite a few customers.

Weight is the enemy. Everything gets better with lightness.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I felt a big difference going from spokes to cast, I think in total the saving was 4kg ish so if you went from spokes to carbon then it would feel amazing. I also lost 4kg from the battery and 4kg from the exhaust plus lower weight suspension, numberplate hanger etc so I reckon my bike weighs less than 160kg dry and feels well spunky!

·
Registered
792 Posts
One of the reasons I thought it was a little disappointing that the new cafe racer has spokes. Really quite a downgrade in performance. For the price increase over the normal Scrambler, it would be nice to have a version that comes with lightweight forged wheels.

Carbon wheels aren't going to happen for me, just way too expensive but I am hoping at some point to find some nice alloy wheels maybe. Can't be too hard to get some Panigale 899/959 wheels to fit?

·
Registered
107 Posts
One of the reasons I thought it was a little disappointing that the new cafe racer has spokes. Really quite a downgrade in performance. For the price increase over the normal Scrambler, it would be nice to have a version that comes with lightweight forged wheels.

Carbon wheels aren't going to happen for me, just way too expensive but I am hoping at some point to find some nice alloy wheels maybe. Can't be too hard to get some Panigale 899/959 wheels to fit?
I was under the impression that spoked wheels were lighter than the cast ones... Guess I was wrong. I MUCH prefer the look of the spoked wheels though, so guess I'll have to find weight savings elsewhere.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was under the impression that spoked wheels were lighter than the cast ones... Guess I was wrong. I MUCH prefer the look of the spoked wheels though, so guess I'll have to find weight savings elsewhere.
Or save up all those pennies... Kineo Tubless Spoked Rims

Only spoked wheel's I'd consider and actually a lot cheaper than the Carbon options, still around £1500 when I chose the spec I'd have.
Should be nice and simple swap though, they provide the wheels ready to go!

04_08_2017_Diamond_Atelier_Ducati_Sixty2_Scrambler_Custom_Motorcycle_Pipeburn_Munich_01.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
People! Tread carefully here. Carbon wheelz are too sexy and eat your wallet fast!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Or save up all those pennies... Kineo Tubless Spoked Rims

Only spoked wheel's I'd consider and actually a lot cheaper than the Carbon options, still around £1500 when I chose the spec I'd have.
Should be nice and simple swap though, they provide the wheels ready to go!

View attachment 40017
What do these weigh in comparison to the stock wheels...? I don't have $1900 to throw around, but that's the whole point of saving, amirite??

I really want to start buying carbon bits, like front fender, side panels, tank shroud thing, but that is 99% cosmetic and 1% weight savings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there any real point on a Scrambler? It has has enough performance for it's size. For most people the affordability of the Scrambler is part of the attraction, you can own a proper Ducati for the same price as a Japanese bike. Throw carbon wheels on and you're kind of missing the point... aren't you?

·
Registered
792 Posts
What do these weigh in comparison to the stock wheels...? I don't have $1900 to throw around, but that's the whole point of saving, amirite??
I really want to start buying carbon bits, like front fender, side panels, tank shroud thing, but that is 99% cosmetic and 1% weight savings.
According to BST's stats:

Standard cast wheels are:
18" front - 4.7kg
17" rear - 6.7kg
Total - 11.4kg
Total with spokes - 17.4kg
(Another thread on here figured out the bikes with spoked wheels weigh ~6kg more than the cast wheel bikes dry)

Kineo weights are hard to find as they are very customisable. Found a questionable source via Google that points to a site via Pintrest. I'm sure Kineo would confirm via email.

Weight; KINEO SM tubeless wheel set 3.50x17.0" + 5.50x17.0" (Unlikely to find any other bikes using an 18" front & I'd get a 17 anyway, for tyre options)
Complete front weight : 3.89 kg
Complete rear weight : 4.94 kg
Total weight : 8.83 kg.

BST Carbon with 18" front (for reference)
Total: 8.18kg

2.57kg isn't AMAZING weight loss for those of us with cast wheels but if you're running standard spokes, thats 8.5kg of rotational mass saved. That's pretty substantial and would make a huge difference to everything, accel, braking and handling. 2.57kg would still likely be noticeable as I think it's something like every kg is 25x heaver at the outer rim when moving...

Is there any real point on a Scrambler? It has has enough performance for it's size. For most people the affordability of the Scrambler is part of the attraction, you can own a proper Ducati for the same price as a Japanese bike. Throw carbon wheels on and you're kind of missing the point... aren't you?
No I don't think it's missing the point at all, I happen to think leaving the bike standard is. The Scrambler is much more than just a cheap bike. I bought a much more expensive, higher performing bike and really missed the Scrambler's character. Removing weight in my opinion, only exaggerates the bike's best characteristics. Even with double the budget to spend, there isn't really another bike quite like it...

Modification was clearly even something Ducati planned being a big part of the ownership experience as well. Offering lots of after market parts to chop and change and holding the big Custom Rumble competition each year, to showcase what can be done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
According to BST's stats:

Standard cast wheels are:
18" front - 4.7kg
17" rear - 6.7kg
Total - 11.4kg
Total with spokes - 17.4kg
(Another thread on here figured out the bikes with spoked wheels weigh ~6kg more than the cast wheel bikes dry)

Kineo weights are hard to find as they are very customisable. Found a questionable source via Google that points to a site via Pintrest. I'm sure Kineo would confirm via email.

Weight; KINEO SM tubeless wheel set 3.50x17.0" + 5.50x17.0" (Unlikely to find any other bikes using an 18" front & I'd get a 17 anyway, for tyre options)
Complete front weight : 3.89 kg
Complete rear weight : 4.94 kg
Total weight : 8.83 kg.

BST Carbon with 18" front (for reference)
Total: 8.18kg

2.57kg isn't AMAZING weight loss for those of us with cast wheels but if you're running standard spokes, thats 8.5kg of rotational mass saved. That's pretty substantial and would make a huge difference to everything, accel, braking and handling. 2.57kg would still likely be noticeable as I think it's something like every kg is 25x heaver at the outer rim when moving...
Jeez, they're heavier than I thought. I'm not in the market for any wheels ATM, nor am I going for any world record for lowest weight bike, but sounds like aftermarket wheels would drop a TON of weight from the bike...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Jeez, they're heavier than I thought. I'm not in the market for any wheels ATM, nor am I going for any world record for lowest weight bike, but sounds like aftermarket wheels would drop a TON of weight from the bike...
Would be cool if someone could weigh their spoked wheels as it's a bit of guess work comparing the bikes dry weights. I'm guessing they are steel rims though? So would explain the big difference.

8.5kg lost from anywhere on the bike is pretty huge but of rotational unsprung mass, that's absolutely massive! I bought my bike as a long term project. This summer I'll mostly just ride it but wheels are on the list of things I'd like to upgrade eventually.

There isn't actually a huge difference in price between Kineo spoked & BST carbon wheels by time you choose a couple of colour options. Looks like a set of Forged alloy OZ Piega's would be similar too, pricey upgrade but probably one of the most dramatic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts