Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

First, I hope I don't duplicate an existing thread; if so, my apologies for the inconvenience, I'd then appreciate a link to such a discussion.

My question relates to carrying my camera and lenses during rides.
On one hand, I generally carry a relatively small number of items with me, mostly phone and ID card+license or credit card, though when going for a photo trip (kind of ride 'n' shoot :), I wonder how I'll bring my photo equipment.
My Icon I'll be delivered with the Ducati accessory listed rear rack.

I exclude my dedicated backpack for injury risk in case of a fall, not to mention camera/lense break...

Has any of you found any satisfaying market solution that fits that need such as rack mounted soft/hard case ?

my equipment : Canon Eos5D DSLR, largest lens SIGMA 150-600 (circa 30cm long!), possibly sometimes a 50cm long tripod as well. Other lenses are easily carried despite all of them weighing some kilos!

Please don't joke me by recommending a BMW or similar 2 weeled station wagons...or changing my camera for a smaller one ha ha ha ;-))

Many thanks in advance for your advice and experience.
Wish you all a sunny ridinng day :)

Reactions: Vix

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Simon, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Still looking for some options, I found a dedicated tank bag that would do. Humm pricey though!
Foto-Sacoche de réservoir Large CORDURA® | TOURATECH France
Anyone ever got that stuff or possibly had an opinion on the builder (German company named Kahedo) ?
In fact, as many comments read on forums on this concern, the idea isn't to get knees sliding on turns with all photo stuff, nor be able to shot photo when riding. More to get to nice area, possibly inaccessible with a car/ to far footing.

Will keep on searching and if I buy, will issue pictures.

Enjoy your day :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
There's a thread, or two, here that discusses changing out the ducati plate on the rack with a custom one that has the proper holes for mounting a Givi top box. AltRider has the mounting hardware. Then maybe some custom foam in the top box that fits your equipment?

I have the bookmarks, and maybe the CAD file, on my home computer but I am away and won't be back until the 22nd. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Edit:

Found the CAD file in my email. Change "pdf" to "dxf" for it to work properly.

And, here's the link to AltRider monokey mounting kit:

Givi Monokey Top Case Mounting Kit for AltRider Luggage Rack

-Bob

Attachments

Reactions: achka55

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wolfman Tailpack
I have squeezed a gripped Nikon with 70-200 f2.8 and 16-85 into one but I would not do it regularly. These days I use mirrorless cameras so the foot is easy.
I can’t see why you would need a 150-600 lens on a motorcycle ride unless you were into birding or Motorsport photography and if its birding where is the tripod going to be attached?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a thread, or two, here that discusses changing out the ducati plate on the rack with a custom one that has the proper holes for mounting a Givi top box. AltRider has the mounting hardware. Then maybe some custom foam in the top box that fits your equipment?

I have the bookmarks, and maybe the CAD file, on my home computer but I am away and won't be back until the 22nd. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Edit:

Found the CAD file in my email. Change "pdf" to "dxf" for it to work properly.

And, here's the link to AltRider monokey mounting kit:

Givi Monokey Top Case Mounting Kit for AltRider Luggage Rack

-Bob
Hi Bob,

Cool to read from you, many thanks!

Great to see that other have thought of similar needs and already crafted solutions.
Indeed my a priori wish is not to build something by myself, I'm a poor DIY-man ;-)
More, I imagined an "all ready kind of lugage" one had found on the market fit for this kind of activities.
Again, thanks a lot for your feedback. I git the file and will have a look at it.
Enjoy a blessed day :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wolfman Tailpack
I have squeezed a gripped Nikon with 70-200 f2.8 and 16-85 into one but I would not do it regularly. These days I use mirrorless cameras so the foot is easy.
I can’t see why you would need a 150-600 lens on a motorcycle ride unless you were into birding or Motorsport photography and if its birding where is the tripod going to be attached?
Hi K1w1!

Thanks for the Wolfman tank bag, it looks good and would probably need some foaming to hold camera. 70-200 and a wide angle are as well mostly what I'll bring on trips.

Of course the huge 150-600 is exceptionally on board, plus its weight need considering the trip worthiness by bike.
Good to read from you, many thanks!

Wish you a great day ahead

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Bob,

Cool to read from you, many thanks!

Great to see that other have thought of similar needs and already crafted solutions.
Indeed my a priori wish is not to build something by myself, I'm a poor DIY-man ;-)
More, I imagined an "all ready kind of lugage" one had found on the market fit for this kind of activities.
Again, thanks a lot for your feedback. I git the file and will have a look at it.
Enjoy a blessed day :)
Not much DIY except for replacing the original plate. You'll have to find a shop to make the new plate based on the dxf file. Then it's just a matter of attaching the bits from AltRider, and getting the Givi Monokey case you need.

-Bob

Reactions: achka55

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just seen your dxf file, nice plate design. I'll seriously consider this option; indeed not much skilled DIY job to do finally :)
A nice idea i keep in mind.

Now the hardest is to wait for my bike to be delivered in just a month time !
Have a great day

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi K1w1!

Thanks for the Wolfman tank bag, it looks good and would probably need some foaming to hold camera. 70-200 and a wide angle are as well mostly what I'll bring on trips.
I just purchased some closed cell foam from a hardware store and cut strips to fit between the different bodies or lenses that are in the bag.

·
Registered
182 Posts
fullsizeoutput_10f7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_20e6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_102f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_17dd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_18af.jpeg IMG_1181.jpg fullsizeoutput_211c.jpeg

I'm a serious hobbyist and derive a lot of pleasure from my travel and motorcycle photography, although I haven't posted much here. I long ago gave up lugging bulky DSLRs and multiple lenses on my bikes. Now I'm just as happy with the results I get from a good quality Compact that I can carry on me, in a jacket pocket or sometimes in a small backpack, Economical cameras such as the Sony RX100 range and the Canon G7X series pack surprising punch for their size and can create images that rival many more expensive DSLR and mirrorless cameras. Very compact lightweight tripods are also easy to carry about one's person.

I know there is a risk in carrying cameras gear in jacket pockets, belt pouches and backpacks etc, but hey, there will always be a risk in carrying any photographic equipment on two wheels. So far, all of my gear has survived unharmed for the for the past 10 years plus. Just thought I would recommend an alternative approach for consideration here

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would love to see any solutions people have come up with to carry camera gear. I have the enduro side bags which do not fit a pro DLSR and a 70-200 f2.8 easily. Crams in there and I’m not comfortable with it.

I did get a tailbag that might work but am still figuring out how best to secure it to the bike. I may need to add a luggage rack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to see any solutions people have come up with to carry camera gear. I have the enduro side bags which do not fit a pro DLSR and a 70-200 f2.8 easily. Crams in there and I’m not comfortable with it.

I did get a tailbag that might work but am still figuring out how best to secure it to the bike. I may need to add a luggage rack.
Hi,

I finally didn't find any solution that fit the large lense carrying, so I got Irvin my backpack to get to a racing circuit 50km from home and catch racing guys close.
I understand the risk I take, but wouldn't store the lense in a bag on the rear or saddle fearing vibrations could damage it.
As well, I find it hard to reconcile photo and riding in certain cool places ;-)
Which to choose from btw shooting or riding a so-cool bend ?
Thanks anyway Vix for your message!

Have a good riding day and stay safe ✌

Reactions: Vix

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi,

I finally didn't find any solution that fit the large lense carrying, so I got Irvin my backpack to get to a racing circuit 50km from home and catch racing guys close.
I understand the risk I take, but wouldn't store the lense in a bag on the rear or saddle fearing vibrations could damage it.
As well, I find it hard to reconcile photo and riding in certain cool places ;-)
Which to choose from btw shooting or riding a so-cool bend ?
Thanks anyway Vix for your message!

Have a good riding day and stay safe ✌
Oh great that you found a solution! Wow I only wear a backpack as a last resort, I assume it’s got some weight to it. I am thinking tail bag, if I can cram a small photo bag in there with the gear it will have additional protection from that padding.

Riding and photographing - great options!! Have fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, have you seen the Bobblee/point65 camera bags? I personally use the vortex 180...I can fit a Sony a9 with a 70-200 f2.8 + another 24-70 f2.8 no problem. It's probably the best backpack option out there....though I have not actually crashed on a bike with it before ... I have wiped out on a snowboard with all my gear inside. Everything was fine.
Wont fit with a battery grip though...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm not convinced there's any safety risk to a backpack. I use a Kriega R25, that has a back protector built in and is specifically designed for being on the bike. It's made of stronger Cordura than some of my riding gear...

I think in a crash, your camera stuff is likely to get broken in a backpack or in a bag on the bike. So for that level of gear, insurance!! Be careful though, when I was working as a photographer, a lot of insurance policies actually specifically exclude transporting equipment via motorcycle. Most of my lenses were worth more than my bike at that point, so I always read carefully.

A backpack for me is always first choice because you just step off the bike and all your stuff comes with you. No wasted time unloading.

If I actually took my camera anywhere anymore, I'd pick up one of these. Very useful between quick stops taking photos: Capture

Take a look at this guy's site, he does a lot of great photography whilst riding. So might be helpful... Gorm Taube

·
Registered
954 Posts
That is a totally unfounded fear by many. I’ve done hundreds of thousands of km on motorcycles on and off road with cameras and lenses in tank bags, tailbags on the rear seat and in top boxers mounted on the rear rack with not one single issue to either a body or a lens. If you think it through a lens in a bag on the saddle is on a surface that is on top of a thick layer of relatively soft rubber. No vibration there.
One thing I would never do is carry ba camera and lenses in a soft side mounted pannier. Too much risk if the bike has a sleep.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think in a crash, your camera stuff is likely to get broken in a backpack or in a bag on the bike.
Backpacks on bikes scare me. I would be more concerned about the camera and/or lenses causing me back damage if I landed on them. A back protector is primarily designed to protect against a sliding force or landing flat on the back not having something that acts a pivot between the road and the rider in a way a camera lens might. Even without insurance cameras are things and things only and can be replaced. Spinal damage is often permanent and life changing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
H
Hey, have you seen the Bobblee/point65 camera bags? I personally use the vortex 180...I can fit a Sony a9 with a 70-200 f2.8 + another 24-70 f2.8 no problem. It's probably the best backpack option out there....though I have not actually crashed on a bike with it before ... I have wiped out on a snowboard with all my gear inside. Everything was fine.
Wont fit with a battery grip though...
hi sir,

Thanks Matahari for your message.
Indeed, when i was searching for a backpack, I seriously hesitated with that model, especially for its protection feature. I admit the one I chose, a GIVI GRT711, doesn't bring such a security level, though I rarely carry heavy stuff in it, mostly clothes, water bottle, a yellow jacket and survival blanket in the lower compartment, my license Monday and I'd papers.
And sometimes my camera with a 17-200- more often a sigma 35mm lense which is my favourite, all rolled in a thick towel.
Probably in case of a crash I could be hurt, despite this backpack includes a rather thick backbone protection and is made of dense material.
In fact, I came out with the conclusion that when carrying my camera on the bike, I ride very, very prudently and slowly, just because I look elsewhere searching for things or scapes to shoot: riding for fun is definitely not compliant with photo strolling; one has to choose between either but can't do both imho !
I also installer a little leather rear bag in the pack holder where I can store my camera and a lense or two, especially well rolled into a thick foam-kind towel to prevent vibration damages. You can see it there : https://photos.app.goo.gl/uhMArUw7ctBDYhaP9 (hope the link works ;-)
Finally, my main concern is when I want to get to a 50km fat race circuit and bring my 150-600. Then, I haven't other choices than storing this lense in the lower compartment of my backpack. And ride very safe!
I was nice to chat, many thanks again for exchanging ideas on the subject.
I'll gib you the link to photos of racing bikes I aim to shoot in a few week (I just loved my home and am overwhelmed With packs everywhere in my house, one of them contains the camera
Take care dear sir and enjoy your rides as well as photos ✌

1 - 20 of 26 Posts