Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Center Stands for the 800s

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  DesertPilot 
#1 ·
Oooh! Look what arrived in the mail today!

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Fuel tank

See less See more
#3 ·
Good point! But it's for the Icon -- I fly hang gliders in the desert (see below), not motos :)

It looks like a nice very piece of kit, but the mounting plates do stick down slightly, which will cut into ground clearance. Also, I'll have to pull the sidestand and the jack points for for my Bursig lift to do the install, so I may not get it done this instant. Maybe I can get my wife to hold it while I do that side, since she has claimed dibs on the bike :)

Atmospheric phenomenon Sky Landscape Natural landscape Plain

#7 ·
I am very interested in this but now I have seen the close up images on the web site I can see that with the stand installed it is going to hang down quite a long way below the engine. If you are a 100% street rider that is not going to be any issue at all but for anybody who goes even mildly off road it could be an issue.

#8 ·
That's become my concern as well. I'm thinking it's right on the edge. I'm going to make a cardboard mock-up of the mounting system, then go out and measure everything. If the unit sticks down less than 20mm or so, it should be fine. If it hangs too low (Isn't there a song about that?), I'll leave it off and stick with the Bursig lift for now.

BTW It looks like mounting the unit with the bolts they supply could mean ditching one of the mount points for the Bursig lift unless I do some engineering. It's too late at night to think about this. Time for a beer... or perhaps a glass of Tempranilo, since these are Italian bikes :)

#10 ·
Better off buying a Royal Enfield interceptor and putting some dirt tyres on it if you are going to turn it into a road bike. They are very manageable in the dirt and you can pump the suspension up without a big investment, plus if you want performance go the 850 big bore kit. Cheap as chips and very well made. DS really is a good off road bike for its size and ideally that is what you use if for and a centre stand will kill it. The RE is a much more manageable road bike and already has the centre stand.

#11 ·
It's been a tough call. On the onbe hand, we don't have any serious dirt near hear except for the OHV parks, and if I'm going to those, I'd take a for-real dirt bike. On the other hand, we do have quite a few very goaty roads with surfaces that vary from, "This is where we make potholes for later export to poor Third World nations that cannot afford potholes of their own," to, "Someday, lad, all this may be paved!"

The Scrambler is perfect for that sort of thing. I think of it as an any-road bike rather than an off-road bike. Indeed, that's what I got it for. And this center stand setup would cut into some of the ground clearance that makes it so perfect. I'm leaning toward saving the unit for the Monster 797 I don't have yet.

#14 ·
I bought the one shown in this picture, decided I ddin't really need a center stand after all, never insalled it, and it's been sitting on a shelf, never used, still in it's orignal packaging. If you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping, though if you wanted to also throw in the cost of a bottle of Italian wine, I wouldn't complain.

#15 ·
I bought the one shown in this picture, decided I ddin't really need a center stand after all, never insalled it, and it's been sitting on a shelf, never used, still in it's orignal packaging. If you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping, though if you wanted to also throw in the cost of a bottle of Italian wine, I wouldn't complain.
if you still have it email at ruizjorey@yahoo.com, id love to buy it off you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.