Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about ceramic coating the exhaust? It is supposed to have many advantages including increase in efficiency and cooling the surface temperature of the exhaust.
Yes I’m bored and looking for the next thing to do to my bike. Has anyone tried it on any bike and can offer me any advice.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What do you think about ceramic coating the exhaust? It is supposed to have many advantages including increase in efficiency and cooling the surface temperature of the exhaust.
Yes I’m bored and looking for the next thing to do to my bike. Has anyone tried it on any bike and can offer me any advice.
Yes, lot’s.
Ceramic coating does supposedly have performance advantages, I’ve done it for custom builds but mainly or only really for looks. I’ve measured using an IR gun and have found the outer temps pretty much unchanged.
The performance benefit is it keeps the heat inside the pipe as hot gasses travel faster and therefor improves efficiency, it also lowers under bonnet (hood) temps. For race cars.
Generally black colour withstands temps up to 1000c and other colours less, maybe around 800c

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thanks Hui very informative. Would you do it to your 1100 if you had one?
Only if it fitted in with the look I was going for.
ie. I’ve just starting a custom Street Tracker build using a Honda XL 600. It will get a full one off stainless exhaust but Not ceramic coated. If the next one is a Cafe style then it probably will get done.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am considering a chrome finish like the special. Just looking around for a company that does it.
One more question Hui. If the ceramic coating keeps the exhaust gases in the pipe will that increase or decrease the exhaust popping and making all the noises?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I am considering a chrome finish like the special. Just looking around for a company that does it.
One more question Hui. If the ceramic coating keeps the exhaust gases in the pipe will that increase or decrease the exhaust popping and making all the noises?
It doesn't keep the gasses in the pipe but slows down the amount of heat it gives up. The supposed corralled hotter gasses travel faster along the pipe therefore improving scavenging and exit speed of the exhaust gasses.

As for helping with popping and noise, I doubt if it will change anything, racers will do anything that in theory will give them a better chance, personally I think the benefits are so small they are more theory than real.
The popping noise experienced on modified bikes generally comes from the SAS (secondary air system). This injects fresh air into the exhaust system in order to ignite excess charge fuel that spills into the exhaust front pipe and improving emissions by making the fuel burn in a controlled fashion. By removing cats and changing back pressure etc. the excess fuel still burns but it's less controlled and basically explodes later and further along the pipe which is the erratic and unhindered explosions you're probably hearing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Hui everything is much clearer now, just got to find a company that will do chrome colour at a reasonable price.:3some:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I don’t expect any difference in noise output...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts