Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,
14500km and the OEM chain doesn't looks so good any more!
The sprockets still looks nice but - it's the whole set to be renew.
15 at the Front and 46 rear this the original ratio.
I have a thought going to 15 and 44 in the rear to higher gear and low fuel consumption .
Don't look for the acceleration so much and don't go off road so much.
mostly side road touring.
This will come with DID 520 VX3 Gold chain!
Please your good advise!!!
Thanks
Sharon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi friends,
14500km and the OEM chain doesn't looks so good any more!
The sprockets still looks nice but - it's the whole set to be renew.
15 at the Front and 46 rear this the original ratio.
I have a thought going to 15 and 44 in the rear to higher gear and low fuel consumption .
Don't look for the acceleration so much and don't go off road so much.
mostly side road touring.
This will come with DID 520 VX3 Gold chain!
Please your good advise!!!
Thanks
Sharon
Hi Sharon, I shall be doing the same once I have worn the back tyre out. I am also changing to more road orientated tyres for better mileage as (lockdown, Brexit and alien invasion considered) I intend to tour Europe and catch up with a few friends in '21. I have done similar changes to other bikes over the years and never really found anything bad happen, just with a smaller rear sprocket the chain may wear the swingarm protection guide a bit more?
Regs
Adam

·
Registered
834 Posts
When I need to change the chain on the FTP I will be going for a 525 if it fits. IMO a 520 is too light weight for a bike with the sort of power a Scrambler has and was probably just a cost saving measure on Ducati’s part. A 525 and suitable sprockets will probably double chain life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I need to change the chain on the FTP I will be going for a 525 if it fits. IMO a 520 is too light weight for a bike with the sort of power a Scrambler has and was probably just a cost saving measure on Ducati’s part. A 525 and suitable sprockets will probably double chain life.
I know there isn't much in it but I would check the width clearance around the engine sprocket, there isn't much room around it. I have seen damage from chains hopping or jumping when the chain is slack or under a bit of stress, other Ducati's (900ss)seem to have more room around the engine sprocket for 1 tooth extra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sharon, I shall be doing the same once I have worn the back tyre out. I am also changing to more road orientated tyres for better mileage as (lockdown, Brexit and alien invasion considered) I intend to tour Europe and catch up with a few friends in '21. I have done similar changes to other bikes over the years and never really found anything bad happen, just with a smaller rear sprocket the chain may wear the swingarm protection guide a bit more?
Regs
Adam
Hi, thanks for your respond!
I was wonder if the OEM drive chain was kind of cheap quality since the sprockets looks brand new after 14700km...
Any way need to replace the whole set.....or shell I cut off one chain link to short it....???
KEEP ME INFORM
THX
Sharon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, thanks for your respond!
I was wonder if the OEM drive chain was kind of cheap quality since the sprockets looks brand new after 14700km...
Any way need to replace the whole set.....or shell I cut off one chain link to short it....???
KEEP ME INFORM
THX
Sharon
OEM chain is not cheap quality, all chains wear faster at 100kph (60Mph) or above. A bit of regular lubrication is good but that is a messy job which is often overlooked :rolleyes: everyone is guilty of this (including me!). Trail type bikes with a lot of swing arm movement tend to suffer more than standard bikes, if you can pull a chain link in the middle of the rear sprocket and see a gap between it and the sprocket then the chain is worn and needs replacing.

You could take a link out which may give you a few thousand Km but check it regular and keep it lubricated, after one adjustment bin it as it will start to hook the sprocket teeth.

10 to 15% of any motorcycles power is lost through the transmission, this only gets worse as the chain and sprockets wear out.

Weigh up the cost of how much do you love your bike and how much money you have to live, eat, drink etc.. there is always the what if it breaks scenario and you can't afford either :poop:

Good luck Sharon but consider replacing them sooner rather than later.
Regs
Adam

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know there isn't much in it but I would check the width clearance around the engine sprocket, there isn't much room around it. I have seen damage from chains hopping or jumping when the chain is slack or under a bit of stress,
That is why I said if it fits. The only difference between a 520 and 525 is that the 525 has stronger and slightly thicker side plates. As long as there is sufficient clearance between the countershaft sprocket and the engine cases and outer cover there should be no issues except increased lifespan. I typically get 35-40,000 km out of 525 chains on ADV bikes so I can’t see why you would not get at least that on a DS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts