Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original chain is now shot. I know a std. chain is 104 links. Lurking in my garage is a correct D.I.D chain but it´s only 102 links.
has anyone fitted a 102 link chain to std, sprockets? Before I crack off the old one and immobilise myself I´m hoping someone can tell me if 102 links will fit for sure.
I´m hoping Ducati fit a "long" chain as standard so you can play with sprocket sizes.
Anybody done this length of chain?
Cheers
Stavely on a long-shot.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I don't think it ll fit. 2 links less pulls the wheel 5/8" forward...

What you could do before you remove the old chain is move the wheel all the way forward and see if it frees up enough to slip the chain two teeth on the rear sprocket?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could try that Max but the existing chain is massively stretched.
We know a 16T front sprocket fits so I´m only looking for 1 more link.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Drop the rear sprocket to 44teeth from 46teeth it will be a much nicer ride and your shorter chain hopefully should fit.

Geoff.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way,102 links of DID didn´t fit on std. sprockets. I could probably have just squeezed it on but then there was no slack and it would have snapped or done a sprocket shaft seal/bearing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So have you bought another longer chain or done the right thing by buying a 44 tooth sprocket which will enhance the riding qualities of the bike.

Geoff.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rummaging around in some old Monster bits i found another new chain so fitted that.
I´m doing a 2500 mile tour in June so thought i´d get a 16 tooth front for that. Mainly to up the fuel range but also to calm it a bit in the fast cruising, some motorway/dual carriageway is going to be inevitable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts