Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here. My chain has been making some noises off and on over the two years I have owned my 2017 Icon.

The one that has been happening recently is one that is making a sort of "low buzzing" or "soft grinding" noise. It hard to explain. It isn't like a hard grinding where it would be obvious that there is something wrong, but more like a steady buzz. I went on a ride with a friend recently and while he was following me, he said he could hear the noise.

The other one that crops up is a higher buzz when I get to about 4k RPM, then goes away when I shift up to the next gear (then occurs at the next 4k RPM).

So, to try to fix it, I did the following:

1) Checked the chain tension. It was within the tolerance, 27mm-29mm.

2) Checked the chain alignment with the Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool, just to see if somehow the chain got out of alignment the last time I tightened the chain. The chain turned out to be pretty straight.

3) Checked to see if the chain was lubed sufficiently. The chain was not dry and left some grease on my fingers where I checked. (Can you over-lube a chain?)

So from here, I don't know where else to go. Does it make that sound normally? Does it need a cleaning?

I plan on doing a chain strip and clean soon, including the front sprocket, so maybe it might make a difference. But really, I'm not sure, so I'm asking you wiser guys out there.

Thanks in advance~

·
Registered
788 Posts
Chains are pretty noisy... usually when following a friend, I can mostly hear what sounds like his chain rattling.

how much free play do you have in the chain? Too tight is actually worse than a little loose.
How do you know it’s your chain?
Checked for any issues with the rear brake? Wheel bearings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bike almost new, 2019. Not too many miles... The chain was too loose, so did to 28mm. And then got this kinda buzz on the front sprocket, fought maybe misalignment, bought the tool.. everything is like supposed to be, but still have this buzz...
Yesterday I loosened the chain and noticed the chain is little stif...??

·
Registered
788 Posts
The chain was too loose, so did to 28mm. And then got this kinda buzz on the front sprocket, fought maybe misalignment, bought the tool.. everything is like supposed to be, but still have this buzz...
Yesterday I loosened the chain and noticed the chain is little stif...??
You’ll have to explain what you mean by stiff? When loose, can your freely rotate the links around? Are there any that appear stiff, any visible kinks that are stuck in that kinked position?
It’s possible you over tightened the chain, if adjusted just after buying.
There should be about 25mm movement up and down, in the middle between the two sprockets.

I’ve over tightened a chain before and remember it making a bit of noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought it brand new, and after year driving noticed the chain is loose, checked it was 35-40mm so did as manual says 28 (27-29)
Stif i meant, links are moving, but in some places it wants kinda "kink" as you say. I suspect it might be the chain :rolleyes:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I bought it brand new, and after year driving noticed the chain is loose, checked it was 35-40mm so did as manual says 28 (27-29)
Stif i meant, links are moving, but in some places it wants kinda "kink" as you say. I suspect it might be the chain :rolleyes:
If some links are kinked, does seem likely it’s that. They should all be pretty free.
The standard chain is a bit cheap, maybe time for a nice shiny anodised one? Great excuse...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Any advice on the chain then? :D
Just swapped mine actually... always use Gold D.I.D chains.
This one is a VX3 520p. Dropped down to a 104 link from the standard 106, as I’ve gone two teeth down from standard on the rear sprocket.

So if you’re keeping standard gearing, any 520 pitch, 106 link chain will do.
Usually wise to put on fresh sprockets are the same time but if you’ve not done many miles, can see an arguments not to.
Unless you fancy a gearing change or extra shiny....
1B791E44-8066-40E8-AF32-2290F57C9AC6.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
So update on my situation...yesterday, clened the chain (used almost all bottle of chain cleaner) lubed it with motul chain lube...the buzzing almost gone, what's left I i think it's just my paranoid suspicion. Did right tension...about 28mm after quick ride, the chain loose again :(((
How to tighten these chain tension bolts??? How much torque, wich way???

·
Registered
788 Posts
So update on my situation...yesterday, clened the chain (used almost all bottle of chain cleaner) lubed it with motul chain lube...the buzzing almost gone, what's left I i think it's just my paranoid suspicion. Did right tension...about 28mm after quick ride, the chain loose again :(((
How to tighten these chain tension bolts??? How much torque, wich way???
thats good news then. Managed to bring it back!

When checking chain tension, did you test the tension on lots of points around the chain? Spin the back wheel and test that free play all along it, could be that one point is tighter than the rest. What happened to me, when my first chain died. At some points it was perfectly adjusted but the tight spots caused the tension to be uneven.

How tight are you tightening up the axle nuts once you’ve adjusted the chain tensioners?
If the axle nuts are tight, shouldn’t be able to move about. They should be pretty tight... Even with a 2 foot socket wrench, not easy to undo.

The rear axle nuts should be greased and tightened to 145Nm
The tension adjusted nuts should also be greased and tightened to 10Nm once you’ve got it aligned.

All in the owners manual page 144:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whats strange... axle nut I did to 130Nm and some more...(my torque wrench doesnt go more) and then I try to do 10Nm on adjusting screws, it starts to adjust the chain...damn...hate it...it sounds so simple, but somehow it doesnt work... I work with cars, most of the mechanical work on my car do by myself. But now Im starting to think my arms grow from the ass...
Ok so tomorrow if its not raining, will take proper torque wrench from work and try again...
Abd thanks for advices it realy helps, thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts