Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my chain tension adjusted by my friendly Ducati dealer and was told to seriously start thinking about replacing it. After about 30,000 km, does this sound like about normal wear? I do make sure to clean and lubricate often.
Pixlr_20171204144642957.jpg
Pixlr.jpg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

Yes, it's absolutely normal.

Just having a look at your pic, I can see that your rear sprocket is worn. Compare its teeth to a new one and you'll be convinced.

Try to pull on the chain at the most backward point of the rear sprocket. If you can see more than the half of a sprocket tooth, this means that your chain kit must be changed.

The chain tensioners are at the maximum backward point, this also means that your chain kit is worn.

I've changed mine, on my Classic, after 18000 km. Discussing that with my dealer, he told me that, due to its low size, the Scrambler chain kit will not resist more than 20000 km. On my ST2, the chain kit was a 525 large one, when the Scrambler kit is only a 520, less resistant.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vincelp. Oh I'm convinced all right. Once I'm back in Bangkok I'll book a chain kit service. I'm on the road right now. :brave:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm approaching 20,000 miles and will be replacing mine this winter. The factory kit has held up very well with just minimal care.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well, I hate to think I ride like the old woman I am, but maybe I do.

I will say that I tend to run my chain more loose than tight.

Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts