Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally got the suspension on my sled to be halfway decent off road. What I have had to do is open up the rear damping, open up the front fork damping and reduce the preload so me and my gear is now compressing by about 40% rather than the normal recommended 30%. There is obviously nowhere else to go with the rear unit other than buying a Maxton replacement. But with the front, since I have now opened the damping as far as it will go maybe I could change to thinner oil, just in the left hand fork which is the one with compression damping. ( Rebound seems fine at one and a half bounces to rest). So my question is 'Have any of you tried a thinner oil in the front forks?' Thanks for looking, Mark

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
You could always give it a shot with the front forks. If you don't like it you can simply reverse it. Changing fork oil viscosity makes the biggest difference on high speed damper movement (ruts, small bumps). It could just take the edge off. Stock advised fork oil is SHELL - Advance Fork 7.5 which has a cSt value of around 22.

Keep in mind Shell Advance 5W fork oil has nearly the same cSt viscosity as 7.5W, odd as it seems, so shop around. Look at the Centistoke value, not at the "W" rating. Öhlins 1311 for instance, or Bel-Ray High Performance Fork Oil 5 W. More info on this great page.

Advised oil volume per leg is 668ml on the Desert Sled.

I just went through the opposite process on my Husqvarna, the forks were on the 'too soft" for my liking and I could completely close the adjusters, especially the rebound. I changed the stock WP oil for thicker oil in both legs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max for your help. The fact that there seems to be no agreed standard on the important characteristic of fork oil is a tad confusing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Recently saw a Dave Moss video.
He recommended for a Scrambler, non adjustable forks - 20W front left & 5W front right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts