Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike out for a quick leisurely ride this evening and after about 20 minutes of cruising around 45-60 mixed with two moments at wide open (had to get around a couple cars) my check engine light came on, and the bike lost at least half power. I quickly pulled off the road and it sounded as if it were only running on one cylinder. I gave it a little gas and still sounded like one cylinder and I could smell gas. Turned the bike off and checked battery wires and made sure nothing was leaking. Then I turned the key back on, it primed up fine, engine light was gone, and it fired right up and rode home fine without issue.

No idea what could cause this. Battery is just over a month old (had to put in a new one after leaving the key on all night). Just changed the oil last week at 12,700 (I don’t wait 7500) but the level is perfect and no leaks.

A few nights ago the check engine light came on while riding and the screen said engine, fuel, and battery but when I pulled over it hadn’t lost power like tonight. Same story on restart, ran fine.

Any ideas from the braintrust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I took the bike out for a quick leisurely ride this evening and after about 20 minutes of cruising around 45-60 mixed with two moments at wide open (had to get around a couple cars) my check engine light came on, and the bike lost at least half power. I quickly pulled off the road and it sounded as if it were only running on one cylinder. I gave it a little gas and still sounded like one cylinder and I could smell gas. Turned the bike off and checked battery wires and made sure nothing was leaking. Then I turned the key back on, it primed up fine, engine light was gone, and it fired right up and rode home fine without issue.

No idea what could cause this. Battery is just over a month old (had to put in a new one after leaving the key on all night). Just changed the oil last week at 12,700 (I don’t wait 7500) but the level is perfect and no leaks.

A few nights ago the check engine light came on while riding and the screen said engine, fuel, and battery but when I pulled over it hadn’t lost power like tonight. Same story on restart, ran fine.

Any ideas from the braintrust?

Check the fuel tank vent pipe is not crushed or kinked. This will cause fuel starvation and the bike will draw up like you describe. It can make it sound off a cylinder but it’s actually half of both. If you open the fuel cap during the problem, 1st off it will be difficult to open and 2nd you’ll hear air rush into the tank.
Worth a try and won’t cost you anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it got worse. The battery seemed low and it had a somewhat hard time starting this morning Rode it to work and got the check engine fuel warning any time I opened it up. The last time I was able to pull off the road and took a a couple videos. Doesn’t look like I can post them from my phone though. Thinking it may be the battery because I never had any problems before putting it in a little over a month ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to the dealership. They ran the codes and it came back as low battery voltage. Pretty much what I thought. Putting in a new oem battery today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts