Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
They look good for the money and hope they don't fade like a set I had on my monster. They were fine, but went a bluey purple and another mate got some went bronze/brown. Hopefully their anodizing has improved over the years. Its either £20 or £110 evotech ones. I would prefer black adjusters on mine though if they have a choice.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I ordered these on Saturday to go with my Black and silver look. £27 but foldable from China due in May. Similar Evotech £110. Going from previous experience they will be fine.

I've used similar on a few different bikes now Albie, you won't have any problems I don't think. Maybe if I remember correctly I once had to give the wee pushrod a tickle with a file to get the free play I wanted but that's it. (be sure to have free play or the fluid can't return) I'm sure you know but just saying for others.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used similar on a few different bikes now Albie, you won't have any problems I don't think. Maybe if I remember correctly I once had to give the wee pushrod a tickle with a file to get the free play I wanted but that's it. (be sure to have free play or the fluid can't return) I'm sure you know but just saying for others.
This is soooo important, I was at Cadwell park a year or 2 ago and a young lad on an R6 all nicely blinged up complete with new ebay special brake levers had his front brake come on as he was entering the gooseneck, needless to say he and the bike made the exit but separately.
His braking for Park Corner, had heated things up enough that the brake had not fully released as he went round Chris Curve getting hotter and hotter until everything expanded enough to put the brake full on at the Gooseneck. When the marshals picked the bike up the front wheel was solid. It freed off when everything cooled down again. I have never used cheap brake levers since seeing this!!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
This is soooo important, I was at Cadwell park a year or 2 ago and a young lad on an R6 all nicely blinged up complete with new ebay special brake levers had his front brake come on as he was entering the gooseneck, needless to say he and the bike made the exit but separately.
His braking for Park Corner, had heated things up enough that the brake had not fully released as he went round Chris Curve getting hotter and hotter until everything expanded enough to put the brake full on at the Gooseneck. When the marshals picked the bike up the front wheel was solid. It freed off when everything cooled down again. I have never used cheap brake levers since seeing this!!!
That's nothing to do with the price of the item !
That was down to badly fitted parts and lack of knowledge, I've had to slightly modify expensive (ASV)ones that a snobby customer (friend) bought and asked me to fit.
The friend in question actually said to me that he wouldn't fit shyte to his bike. A fool and his money are easily parted, they say.
Don't just let the brakes cool down and free off. The pads sitting clamped to a red hot disc is likely to warp them, open a bleed nipple to let the pressure out.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of our 'Italian' Scramblers are made in China.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm sure if you'd brought that to the attention of Performance Parts they would have done something about it. To expect customers to modify brake components so they operate safely is beyond belief!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Evotech levers have an adjustment screw that has to be carefully set to allow the brake fluid to return to the reservoir when the lever is released. If set wrongly it can result in the brakes locking on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm sure if you'd brought that to the attention of Performance Parts they would have done something about it. To expect customers to modify brake components so they operate safely is beyond belief!!
Probably, but if it's an easy fix it's not worth the hassle. I suppose the same could be said for Chinese stuff, they would respond well to feed back if their product needed a tweak here and there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's all very well for someone who knows what they are doing or has experienced these sort of things before but if the average guy, or gal for that matter, buys these things and thinks they are just plug and play and it all goes pear shaped do you think the vendor in China is going to give a [email protected]@K!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It's all very well for someone who knows what they are doing or has experienced these sort of things before but if the average guy, or gal for that matter, buys these things and thinks they are just plug and play and it all goes pear shaped do you think the vendor in China is going to give a [email protected]@K!!
No, probably not but maybe. There's good and bad everywhere.
So what you're saying is, buy only expensive stuff in the belief or hope that it's better ?
The flip side is, everybody should know that these things should only be fitted by a 'competent person' as I'm sure it probably states it the vendors small print.
I'm not saying just buy cheap, I just don't like the fact people base their criticism on price alone, there will be rubbish to be bought cheaply but that doesn't mean cheap is rubbish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe my view is slightly biased from selling Chinese manufactured motorcycles and also a misspent youth trying to run Motorbikes and cars on apprentice wages. I've fitted cheap tyres, brake pads, chains you name it, purely because I was trying to get my money to stretch as far as possible. However the number of times this bit me on the arse you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would!) so I'm a great advocate of fitting OE where your life may depend on it. Just my opinion!!

High quality replacement parts are excluded from the last statement LOL.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Maybe my view is slightly biased from selling Chinese manufactured motorcycles and also a misspent youth trying to run Motorbikes and cars on apprentice wages. I've fitted cheap tyres, brake pads, chains you name it, purely because I was trying to get my money to stretch as far as possible. However the number of times this bit me on the arse you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would!) so I'm a great advocate of fitting OE where your life may depend on it. Just my opinion!!

High quality replacement parts are excluded from the last statement LOL.
Agreed, I'm still trying to stretch my cash as far as possible, nowadays it does stretch further than the good old days and the base point is much higher though.
Quality is at the top of my list but I don't chase names, it's always a bit of a guess as to whether the OE price is justified (sometimes it is) and many times I've ordered parts from my factor to find it's exactly the same item in the box as the dealer/manufacturers. I'm thinking timing belts, oil filters etc.
The cake is big enough for everybody to have a slice.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I like when I purchase factory Subaru parts that are labeled Mitsubishi or suzuki on them. Especially when I can order the Mitusbishi part for cheaper.

Branding L O L

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's nothing to do with the price of the item !
That was down to badly fitted parts and lack of knowledge, I've had to slightly modify expensive (ASV)ones that a snobby customer (friend) bought and asked me to fit.
The friend in question actually said to me that he wouldn't fit shyte to his bike. A fool and his money are easily parted, they say.
Don't just let the brakes cool down and free off. The pads sitting clamped to a red hot disc is likely to warp them, open a bleed nipple to let the pressure out.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of our 'Italian' Scramblers are made in China.
Funny that as a member on UK Monster forum bought some expensive ASV ones for his 696 or something and the clutch is staying on. Mechanics checked them and are a fault in design as keep the clutch in a bit causing slippage. ASV of course didn't want to know and said nothing wrong with their design or size of holes which was/is the fault.
Lets not get carried away here as all the Japanese bikes and classic bikes levers are very cheaply made ( Yamaha ones around a £10 nothing complicated and a pattern £3-4) designed to be pulled in and not be crashed into the road or wall. Just like Ducati ones not dear but generally they want to sell the whole unit reservoir if they could. Also not designed to crash or knocked. You are paying over £100 plus for design and machining supposedly better material with ASV or EvoTech or even more from Rizoma but that doesn't mean you will have an accident safely. As I stated earlier and so as not to be a hypocrite my biggest worry is the anodising fades in my past experience but I also have a friend who's Rizoma parts faded but they were so embarrassed they replaced them and it was a bad batch.
I always look at components to see how well made they are and if fastenings look bad I will replace with better or not use. I am purely looking at these because of the design and colour and absolutely nothing wrong with stock items. If they come and are crap so they get binned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts