Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up some side tank panels tonight and intend to wrap them using chrome wrap in either mirror finish or carbon finish. Has anyone tried this and if so any specific wrap you used? My Icon is red and was thinking it might look nice if I do it right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've done the Carbon wrap on my tank panels (and a few other places)- used 3M wrap from local car parts store (since found it 1/3 price on ebay)
Pretty straight forward, watched a few clips on utube first, took about 10 mins per panel.
I like the sounds of a chrome wrap
20150827_093257.jpg

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good, great thing about trying different wraps is it costs lil and easy to change

·
Registered
564 Posts
The chrome wrap is different to the carbon wrap.
It doesn't stretch as easily and it can't be restretched,it's a bit of a pig to use.
Give it a go though,you may get on better than I did.Mine ended up in the bin!
I was trying to do concave panels on the Diavel though.The scrambler's panels could be easier.Good luck.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm I was not aware of that Dave and did some research, may just save that task for a rainy day and in the meantime try chrome carbon finish... when I get the time

·
Registered
123 Posts
i bought some gold carbon wrap on ebay but my local signwriter said it wouldn't stretch on my panels good so used his black carbon wrap.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought some gold carbon wrap on ebay but my local signwriter said it wouldn't stretch on my panels good so used his black carbon wrap.
Was the wrap you bought not good quality or did he say the chrome carbon wrap is difficult to use in general? I have used good quality black carbon wrap on a few small things in the past, just never tried the chrome.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the ad on ebay said the sticky side had ridges which allows the wrap to bend but when it was delivered the ridges were very shallow compared to the wrap my local signwriter was using. the ebay wrap was fine for flat work but not for stretching.my $30 ebay project turned into a $160 signwriter job.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I may still give the chrome a go after seeing this pic on Mugello Facebook page. Looks great against the red but I would have to be extremely lucky for the finish to look that good, they are proper chrome I believe

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ths
I think I may still give the chrome a go after seeing this pic on Mugello Facebook page. Looks great against the red but I would have to be extremely lucky for the finish to look that good, they are proper chrome I believe

That is the other thing......it won't look as good as that,just the same as carbon wrap is recognisable from real carbon.
Go the whole hog and buy the real chrome panels,it will look awesome!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ths

That is the other thing......it won't look as good as that,just the same as carbon wrap is recognisable from real carbon.
Go the whole hog and buy the real chrome panels,it will look awesome!
I have messaged my brother as I remember his girlfriend works in the service dept at a Porsche dealership. Maybe she can recommend someone who will do the chrome wrap at a good price. Will wait and see if that door opens for me :)

·
Registered
285 Posts

From the looks of it, I'm not certain that's really chrome, but instead a really buffed aluminum. It wouldn't take much to get the stock aluminum panels to a mirror shine: bead blast off the top coat, then hand sand it carefully from probably 400 to 2000 grit.

Lol I showed it to the Dude and told him "Easy, right?" and his face turned white. So okay, it would take a LITTLE while and dedication but probably cheaper and just as nice as a regular chrome job. ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
You would need polishing compounds and mops to get a mirror finish like that.
It's definitely achievable with DIY polishing kit that attaches to an electric drill.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the original alu panels i like so do not want to mess about with as well as black alu panels from an FT which i also like so want to keep as is and either wrap or maybe try plasti dip so will not be stripping either but thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Those chrome panels do look nice, Is it chrome on alloy panels or are they steel panels, ?? :)

Polishing those alloy panels to a like chrome finish is a very laborious job even using polishing mops and the various compounds, for one thing it'd get very hot very quickly I suppose you could dip it in cold water regularly though, and it wouldn't be long before the scratches appeared, as if by magic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Elvisto I think the ones in the pic are genuine Ducati item. I have enquired with a pro wrapping company to see what a finish like that would cost

1 - 20 of 26 Posts