Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone seen this bike before? Wondered if the last owner might have been on the forum, this Icon has had a fortune spent on it!

Sadly the dealership informed me it was sold due to ill health, which is never good to hear but I’ll be taking up the mantle. I plan to keep this bike a very long time and have lots planned for it.

As a one owner bike, it was clearly enjoyed. Full titanium Akra exhaust, side panels, Mugello seat, tail tidy, indicators, Öhlins rear shock, Renthal bars... saved me a lot of time and money on upgrades I was looking to do anyway.

Favourite being the Akra exhaust!!

Bike is a bit grotty currently as a consiquence of the above I’m sure but should come up great after some real TLC!

Can’t wait to get modding & riding!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Josh. Welcome back. I remember last time we had some discussions on tyres and came to the conclusion the OEMs were some of the most grippy available. What is on this bike and how do they compare?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Josh. Welcome back. I remember last time we had some discussions on tyres and came to the conclusion the OEMs were some of the most grippy available. What is on this bike and how do they compare?
Was that the conclusion? Now I’d say the standard MT60’s are great all rounders but not the outright best for grip. I fitted some Metzler Z8 interacts to my last Scrambler and they were way better. Lighter, quicker turning and felt gripper in dry and wet. Also much less harsh...
New bike has an almost new set of Bridgestone T30’s on. I’ll report back on how they compare.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice bike, why grotty? You mean running lean or needs a clean?
Needs a clean and parts polishing up. Looks like it was last ridden in bad weather and then not used since. Bit of corrosion here or there... nothing that can’t be sorted out. Will give me something to do!

Welcome back. Glad to see you chose the proper colour this time :)
Thanks! Yeah about that... once summer is done with, I’ll be stripping the tank and re-painting it. Haven’t quite settled what yet though...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it was. Good to know as I want a road looking tyre but am not prepared to sacrifice any grip.
Highly recommend the Metzler Z8's. It was an experienced guy at the Duc dealership who advised me to try them. Transformed the bike. It wasn't just the grip, the bike became much more nimble and it softened the harsh ride quality. the MT-60's seem very stiff and heavy.
All the tyres available for the 18" front are of a similar breed though, sport touring rubber.
I looked into all of them before buying and this is roughly what reviews came out with:

• Avon Storm 3D - Long life but not that grippy when pushed. More touring than sport. Old now, 2013 tyre.
  • Dunlop Roadsmart II - I hate Dunlops after a previous crap experience.
  • Continental ContiRoadAttack 3 - Well reviewed, 2017 tyre tech. More sport than touring but decent life still. I'd probably try a set of these next (or the CR below)
  • Continental ContiRoadAttack 3 CR - might be a good choice. Designed as a classic endurance racing tyre. So specifically designed to work on narrower wheels.... like a skinny scrambler 18" front. Assume it's just a bit racier than the normal RoadAttack. The CR 2 was well loved.
  • Pirelli Angel GT - Well liked, more sport than touring but last long enough. Quite old now, 2013 tyre. You'll pay the Italy tax.
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3 - Ugly as hell but year round riders seem to love them. Seems like much more of a touring tyre to me though and expensive...
  • Bridgestone T30 - well reviewed, we'll see what it's like.
  • Bridgestone BT016 - More of a sport tyre but old 2011 tech

Go mad...
Metzler do their Racetec RR K1 tyre in our size. The K1 is a proper supersoft race compound. Popular with the IoM TT guys. So must be half decent! Maybe just not when cold or damp! haha

I want a 17" front wheel. Then I can fit any tyre I want! Probably Metzler Sportec or Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not long now... bike arrives Wednesday!

Coming with a fresh desmo service & MOT done.
Got new front brake pads on the way. Gives me a chance to check the caliper and seals out.
Can of black plasti-dip waiting to spray the tank panels and headlight surround.
Bar end mirrors leftover from the last Scrambler.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not long now... bike arrives Wednesday!

Coming with a fresh desmo service & MOT done.
Got new front brake pads on the way. Gives me a chance to check the caliper and seals out.
Can of black plasti-dip waiting to spray the tank panels and headlight surround.
Bar end mirrors leftover from the last Scrambler.

Can't wait!
I’m actually excited for you

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m actually excited for you
Thanks! Every time I look at the Hyper I’m sad it’s going but I reckon a bit draw of the Scrambler is the easy customisation.

Hyper is pretty much perfect out the box. Tail tidy, Racing seat and done...

Looks like my shakedown run is going to be a 5 hour ride to Newquay!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Bike looks a little different already...

I tried out the plasti-dip paint on the tank covers. It’s pretty cool stuff. Very easy to apply but unfortunately not fit for this purpose.

It leaves the surface with a very nasty grippy texture that picks up all the dirt and scuffs. Almost like chalk board. Did the job though, I know I like the black!

So soon I’ll peel it all off and have the panels properly painted. I might even see how much having them Cerakoted will be. That’s the coating you see on lots of modern guns, the satin black finish. Super thin, durable and scratch resistant. Should resist my knees rubbing more than paint!

AF603608-991A-40AC-90D3-1E4464788B2E.jpeg

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took the girlfriend out for a ride after treating her to some new riding gear and it’s highlighted something I’ve really been noticing...

The Öhlins rear shock upgrade works absolute magic! I’ve been having a lot of fun solo the past few days and thought this bike handles much better then my last Scrambler but riding two up really highlighted the difference!

Completely different bike from what I remember. My full throttle pogo’d, rattled over bumps and even got quite difficult to ride through some corners, with so much weight transfer to the rear. It wasn’t pleasant with a passenger at all.

Perhaps the Bridgestone tyres should take some credit too but WOW what a difference decent rear suspension makes!! The bike is still fun with someone on the back and solo, I’m having a blast. The Hyper was so much faster but I reckon my corner speed is actually higher on this Scrambler...

I urge anyone with the bike to upgrade. I can’t wait to have the front done.

Instagram: @Dolce_Desmo if anyone wants to see what I get up to with the bike.
8FEC668C-B7CF-4520-A28B-F007220BE2AE.png

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BA46ACC8-ABA7-4C6D-86CC-E174FC10F42D.jpeg
4478288E-AF17-4831-A54B-C72DF5092107.jpeg

600 mile round trip to Newquay and back... I made the right choice.
Little concerned I’d regret selling the Hyper SP and ‘downgrading’ but I had such a good day riding home, all worries have vanished. The Atlantic Highway from Cornwall to Exmoor is amazing and the Scrambler is the perfect bike for exploring all the beautiful small towns and villages in the National Park.
I would never have done this trip on the Hyper.

Couple of things to note about Scrambler 2.0 so far...

- The full Akra Ti system is LOUD.
- Bridgestone T30 tyres are fantastic.
- The Mugello seat and narrower Renthal bars have transformed the bikes comfort. I didn’t need my air pad at all. Only got a bit numb after several hours on the motorway.
- Kriega luggage panels work very well.
- Everyone loves Scramblers! I forgot how at every stop, someone wants to talk to you about it! All bells and whistles Hyper SP didn’t get even 10% of the the attention.
- Plastidip doesn’t work for anything you touch. It had all torn up and peeled before I even arrived in Newquay.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts