Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed after a long ride in the rain that my front brakes were pulsing...learning as I go along and after some research I decided to spray the crap out of the calipers/brake pads with brake cleaner and that pretty much solved the pulsing...there is still some so upon further research I came across the "clean your rotor buttons" videos.

Question I have here is, my friend just took his brand new full throttle from the dealer and unless I'm doing something wrong, his buttons weren't moving freely either? My bike is 2 years old, with over 8000 km and my rotor buttons feel the same?

Are our Scrambler rotor buttons different? Should they be free spinning when you use your fingers to move them like I've seen on the DIY videos on YouTube?

I'm planning to clean my rotor buttons today via the bolt/washer method but hopefully someone can shed some light on this so I don't break anything :)

I'm assuming all Scrambler models use the same rotor? I can't find anything in the workshop manual or the Star Twin online shop on the rotor

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
So I've noticed after a long ride in the rain that my front brakes were pulsing...learning as I go along and after some research I decided to spray the crap out of the calipers/brake pads with brake cleaner and that pretty much solved the pulsing...there is still some so upon further research I came across the "clean your rotor buttons" videos.

Question I have here is, my friend just took his brand new full throttle from the dealer and unless I'm doing something wrong, his buttons weren't moving freely either? My bike is 2 years old, with over 8000 km and my rotor buttons feel the same?

Are our Scrambler rotor buttons different? Should they be free spinning when you use your fingers to move them like I've seen on the DIY videos on YouTube?

I'm planning to clean my rotor buttons today via the bolt/washer method but hopefully someone can shed some light on this so I don't break anything :)

I'm assuming all Scrambler models use the same rotor? I can't find anything in the workshop manual or the Star Twin online shop on the rotor

Thanks in advance
The buttons should move but they are crimped in and spring loaded. They will require a fair grip with finger and thumb to make them move though, unless they are worn when then they start to rattle. I find by the time I've gone round them all I can't hardly grip at all (usually twin disc). I use a 6mm bolt and a couple of nuts and tighten up just enough to be able to use a socket to spin the button while spraying with brake clean.
Don't pinch up more than you need as you don't want to affect the tension on the button, just enough to save RSI and arm pump.
Don't do what one walloper suggested once and spray any kind of lube on them as the centrifugal force will spread oil all over the braking area.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The buttons should move but they are crimped in and spring loaded. They will require a fair grip with finger and thumb to make them move though, unless they are worn when then they start to rattle. I find by the time I've gone round them all I can't hardly grip at all. I use a 6mm bolt and a couple of nuts and tighten up just enough to be able to use a socket to spin the button while spraying with brake clean.
Don't pinch up more than you need as you don't want to affect the tension on the button, just enough to save RSI and arm pump.
Don't do what one walloper suggested once and spray any kind of lube on them as the centrifugal force will spread oil all over the braking area.
Exactly the help I was looking for. I didn't want to break anything while using the bolt method.

Definitely not going to apply any lube.

In terms of brake cleaner, I'm using Tirox. Does this stuff have to be rinsed off with water after applying? Particularly the brake caliper/pads etc? Or do you just wipe the excess away and let some of it stay in? (can says it lubricates) if memory serves me, don't have the can in front of me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my bad, it doesn't lubricate, it removes lubricant. I misread. Anyway, all done, buttons cleaned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts