Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, I've got a little question about how to wash my Scrambler.

Its like this, I always had a bike with fairing (easy to wash like a car). Now with the scrambler im seeing all these components and some cables and I don't know where to start... . It sound perhaps a bit strange but I'm scared to do something wrong or stupid like damaging my pretty bike :confused::oops:o_O.

So my question to you guy's; With a bike without fairing where to watch out!? Which products do you use for which part of the bike and which tools.
Example: pressure washer (Karcher), yes or no!? How to get the exhaust pipes looking like new. Spoke and rims. etc... .

Thx :),
Chris.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Do not go near that bike with a pressure washer!! Way too much force and send water places it should never go, along with damaging the finish on the bike. I'd advise you to put that out of your mind immediately. You won't go wrong with a regular water hose and a good bike wash. S100 is pricey stuff, but it's hard to beat in my experience. Lots of similar products to choose from, and always follow directions on the bottle just to be safe. Enjoy the bath!

Sarah

·
Registered
424 Posts
Pressure washer NO!

Low pressure hose to rinse is OK, avoid spraying directly at wheel bearings, lights, electrical components, inside exhaust.

I wet down bike with hose, spray off mud build-up (if any) then wash with Dawn dish soap diluted in warm water using a microfibre wash mitten.

Rinse off then dry with saturated but wrung out micrfibre cloth.

Let air dry, then detail bike with waterless cleaner and a dry micrfibre cloth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pressure washer NO!

Low pressure hose to rinse is OK, avoid spraying directly at wheel bearings, lights, electrical components, inside exhaust.

I wet down bike with hose, spray off mud build-up (if any) then wash with Dawn dish soap diluted in warm water using a microfibre wash mitten.

Rinse off then dry with saturated but wrung out micrfibre cloth.

Let air dry, then detail bike with waterless cleaner and a dry micrfibre cloth.
Hey Ogre, thats how I used to bathe my baby boy Andy when he was one month old!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Personally I would avoid any type of dish soap and at least use a vehicle related soap. But I usually only use S100 or McGuires detail spray for most of my clean up and washes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd rather user pressure washer (which I do and have done for years for motorbikes and bicycles) than use any detergent not meant for motorcycles or other vehicles. Just don't spray into electronics or bearings.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
My Panigale has never seen water, just furniture polish :D

The first clean of my Classic last week was the same. However I can see me applying water and appropriate detergent when it's been ridden in the wet and crap.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My Panigale has never seen water, just furniture polish :D

The first clean of my Classic last week was the same. However I can see me applying water and appropriate detergent when it's been ridden in the wet and crap.
Yes, need to remove abrasive dirt BEFORE using polish or waterless cleaners or you will get scratches.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
many different opinions. Good that i asked o_O;).

Always used water hose, soap and sponge for my other bikes. It did the job but i can see that the S100 thing (didn't know that stuff existed :oops:) can be a better option for a bike without fairing.

I will go with the water hose and the S100. . Perhaps some detail spray to finish the job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ALWAYS use a jet washer and have done for years, just avoid the obvious bearings, (wheel and swingarm). Never had a problem and don't expect one. After clearing the bulk of the dirt with the jet washer I run over it with a bucket of water and Autoglym shampoo before rinsing it off, again with the jet washer, (mine's a Nilfisk). Then I run round it with a leaf blower to clear out any sitting water before polishing it with Autoglym polish. If you've got any plastics do them with a silicon based spray to bring them back as good as new. Solvol Autosol for any chrome. Jobs a good 'un.

Careful with the Sdoc100, I marked the can on my GS using it.

Jerry

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dont use a jet wash but I do use one of those 5L spray containers you pump to produce pressure. They are meant for spraying paint and the such but work well with water, adjustable nozzle and very cheap to buy. Then I wash down with MuchOff bike cleaner. Finally a quick spray of MuchOff bike spray (apply to a rag and wipe on to not waste it) .... buff it lightly and the bike will gleam....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I ALWAYS use a jet washer and have done for years, just avoid the obvious bearings, (wheel and swingarm). Never had a problem and don't expect one. After clearing the bulk of the dirt with the jet washer I run over it with a bucket of water and Autoglym shampoo before rinsing it off, again with the jet washer, (mine's a Nilfisk). Then I run round it with a leaf blower to clear out any sitting water before polishing it with Autoglym polish. If you've got any plastics do them with a silicon based spray to bring them back as good as new. Solvol Autosol for any chrome. Jobs a good 'un.

Careful with the Sdoc100, I marked the can on my GS using it.

Jerry
Spooky, it was like I had wrote it myself, only I use a Karcher and then a Stihl blower.
Mind you, I usually never let water touch my 'big' bikes unless I get caught out and the bike gets extra dirty, then I do what you described.
Genrerally I use No Wet Showroom Shine.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Just an FYI, going through my manual yesterday after picking up my Scrambler they specifically mention NOT to use a pressure washer to clean with. I think the best when dirty enough is a gentle hose pressure and a sponge for the really grimy areas and other spray cleaners for other sensitive areas.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anyone that knows where every seal or grease is on the bike and knows how to avoid pressuring water, dirt, grime into those areas can use a pressure washer.

Everyone else...not so much.

Just because you are unaware of any apparent damage caused by pressure washing does not mean it's all good.

Rant over.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've been working on bikes all my life from early teens onward.
The bikes 'I' have the most problems with are the ones that never get washed or cleaned. Every fastener is either seized or corroded beyond repair and I've yet to see damage caused by water ingress into a healthy bearing/seal by cleaning with water rather than years of neglect and therefore through worn out components.
The book maybe does advise against power washing but I have to ask on what experience is the writer basing this on ?
Factories don't usually work on used vehicles or care for them out of warranty.
If I was the author of the manual would that make my opinion gospel ? don't think so.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wash all of my bikes and keep them clean. I just use the garden hose with low pressure and hand scrub them with Meguiars soap and a sponge. I dry them off with The Absorber towels so that they don't end up with water spots. I'm sure it takes longer than S100. I'll have to look into that product because it sounds interesting. I use Meguiars quick detailer spray to clean my bikes that get dusty but not dirty. I wax them with plain old Zymol. It works for me. I hand clean grease off of the bike with a rag and WD40 rather than high pressure water.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I use S DOC 100 leave on for 10 min max, hose off, and blow dry, then spray the chain, :)

I use ACF 50 twice a year, applied with a 1" paint brush, been doing this for quite a few years, I ride summer and winter,( Bit confusing in the UK which is which at times, ) but it works for me, :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts