Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This might be the last riding season that I'm able to adjust my clutch free play at the lever perch. (See attached photo).

I do know there's a secondary adjuster on the frame but I haven't touched it yet.

My bike has 17k+ km and counting and I'm most likely going to be at 21-22k by the end of the season. It's a 2016.

I take good care of her and clean, grease the cable ends at least once per season if not twice.

At which point should I consider a cable replacement? Am I risking the cable ends snapping off, even though they are regularly cleaned and greased?

How much secondary adjustment is safe before the cable needs to be replaced? Yes I do know what the manual says.

Thanks.

MVIMG_20200513_111809.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spoke to a mechanic who's worked on Ducati's for quite some time and he said that my clutch plates are probably getting worn out. "Due to the clutch plate wear, the clutch pressure plate is pulling the "free play" out of the clutch cable".

This makes sense since the mileage is what it is and during the first 5,500km of the bike's life, the clutch free play was not adjusted correctly. (1st owner)

So basically, even though shifting is still good across all gears, I'm most likely looking for at a clutch plate/pack replacement sometime in the near future.

I hope to still get this season out of it and ideally, I'd love to wait until the 24,000km valve service but that's "stretching it" :) pun intended

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had clutch slip at very high revs at 12,000kms straight after a service. I tried all the adjustments to no effect so ordered a Barnett plate kit. By the time it arrived in Spain i'd done another 1000kms and the problem had gone of its own accord! I put it down to the brand new oil and the known sensitivity of these clutches.
I'm now on 26,000kms and the Barnett set is still on the shelf.
If I were you I'd adjust some play back in on the secondary adjuster and carry on until you get any slip.
I got 50k out of a dry clutch on a monster 900 so i'd expect this wet clutch to do the same.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think mine is slipping yet but that's hard to tell since it's my only bike and only one I ride. I think it's fine. The only concern was/is that for the first 5,500km of the bike's life, the previous owner did not have any free play in the clutch perch. I didn't know squat at that time so I bought it. Bike runs great though. I did find an entire clutch assembly from someone, in Spain lol, so here it comes to Canada, just in case I will need it. If not, I'm sure I can sell it here.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Mine was incorrectly adjusted (all my own doing!) and I wore it out in about 11,500km. It was pretty obvious it was slipping – not so much around town but once I got into the national parks and had some space to wind the throttle there was a lot of noise that wasn't accompanied by much forward momentum. If you have a stretch of road you can safely accelerate hard on I'm sure you'd be able to tell, at least if it was slipping as bad as mine was.

I've since had a few lessons off a mechanic friend and now I check my free-play as a matter of habit. I too fitted the Barnett (it's not that hard to do). I've not done many miles lately (covid unall that) but I hope it lasts as well as others have reported – it'll be a while before I can add my experience on that front.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine was incorrectly adjusted (all my own doing!) and I wore it out in about 11,500km. It was pretty obvious it was slipping – not so much around town but once I got into the national parks and had some space to wind the throttle there was a lot of noise that wasn't accompanied by much forward momentum. If you have a stretch of road you can safely accelerate hard on I'm sure you'd be able to tell, at least if it was slipping as bad as mine was.

I've since had a few lessons off a mechanic friend and now I check my free-play as a matter of habit. I too fitted the Barnett (it's not that hard to do). I've not done many miles lately (covid unall that) but I hope it lasts as well as others have reported – it'll be a while before I can add my experience on that front.
I too had clutch slippage at 20,000 miles, Ducati would not honor their warranty, so bought the Barnette, I now have 40,000 miles and no slippage from the Barnette. The bike is a 2106 Icon by the way. Kinda soured me on Ducati, Had several Hondas, Yamahas etc and no clutch problems at all. Had 110,000 miles on a ST 1100 and 75,000 on a 2005 VFR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts