Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm a bit worried because I find myself adjusting the clutch tension on my bars fairly often. I just assumed it was because the adapter isn't locked in place...?

I've often wondered if I get slip, the bike can sometimes hesitate for a second if you suddenly wind on the throttle and it's not as wheelie happy as some people seem to suggest the Scrambler is...?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
I'm a bit worried because I find myself adjusting the clutch tension on my bars fairly often. I just assumed it was because the adapter isn't locked in place...?
It seems to me that you're missing a specific part, which role is to lock the clutch setup.
On my bike, I can't turn the clutch setup screw, without unlocking it before.

And, in 11500 km, I've never touched the setup. No need for that.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hello

It seems to me that you're missing a specific part, which role is to lock the clutch setup.
On my bike, I can't turn the clutch setup screw, without unlocking it before.

And, in 11500 km, I've never touched the setup. No need for that.
Could you maybe take a close up of your clutch cable/lever area so I can compare?
Cheers, Josh.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've set it as per the manual, at 3-4mm. I want to know what should happen to the pivot at the engine, which isn't in the manual. Mine can be moved slightly with my finger, and I think that makes sense, I just wanted confirmation.
I can confirm. The pivot moves with a finger (not the pinkie one) pressure just between the free play.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So update:

Just picked up today, labor was around $300. If you'll notice, there is no clutch cover, just an integrated case cover and it all has to come off...

Anyway, that aside I am pleased to note that the lever pull is much firmer to my liking. Feels more like my Panigale's hydraulic clutch now. Very nice... It seems to hook up better and it just grabs. I actually stalled it at a light screwing with the friction zone. Will have to test over 100MPH, where my major slippage was. I am overall pleased if for nothing other than the improved feel of the lever action. I also want to note, the stock clutch plates didn't appear to be worn or anything abnormal at about the 2800 mile range. Just a note, the stock friction pads are exceptionally tiny; although didn't compare side by side.

I'd recommend this if you have to money to spend on the parts and if needed, the labor. You'll likely be doing an oil change as I did at the same time FYI.

Will report back when I put some miles on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's your clutch wearing, there is no lock. Once mine was fully wound in at the lever I had to use the course adjustment under the tank, that was soon used up too and the clutch started slipping.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has problems after their replacement clutch, I'm hoping it's just some originals were faulty. I can't believe my dealer adusted the cable incorrectly on the new one, muppets.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can't believe my dealer adusted the cable incorrectly on the new one, muppets.
I would rather say that the clutch is setup in the factory and that the dealer doesn't do anything upon it while preparing the bike for delivery.

I've visited Bologna's plant and I can guarantee you that the bike comes out with a clutch set up. If not, it couldn't pass the last engine test on the power dynamometer. During this test, all gears are tested at very high revs.

So, for those who experienced early clutch wear, it seems to me that it's certainly due to faulty parts or faulty clutch set up in the factory. Not enough faulty to be detected during the last test, but faulty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would rather say that the clutch is setup in the factory and that the dealer doesn't do anything upon it while preparing the bike for delivery.
I was referring to how the clutch cable was adjusted *after* they replaced the clutch; they set it incorrectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From reading everyone's mileage above it looks like I'm in a grey area. My scrambler was at 13,500km when the clutch went. I tried to limp off the highway but couldn't even get to the next exit before it wouldn't engage at all.

Ducati Canada insisted it was my fault for not correctly and continually adjusting the clutch free play properly.

It's honestly a shame. I had a lot of confidence in this bike mechanically, hadn't had a single problem in the year or so I've had it. Now it stresses me out most times I slip the clutch. It's the main non-financial reason I haven't done a rexxer or rapidbike tune. If the stock clutch can't handle stock power, adding performance should only exacerbate the problem.

I'd love to hear if anyone has had success with an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After a little over 1500 miles, I had experienced a similar clutch issue as sriku and ash73. I had issues on the freeway and was luckily able to exit before it completely failed. I had to get my bike towed to an authorized dealer in San Francisco before they closed for the day and I'm hoping to get an update this Tue or Wed.

After reading comments from YankeeDoodle, I have some concerns that Ducati will not cover this under my warranty:

1. The service guy noticed that I had aftermarket rizoma levers. Is there a chance Ducati will not honor the warranty and can even prove the aftermarket levers are the cause of the clutch slipping/wear issues?
2. I got my bike towed to the nearest dealer since the tow truck guy would not drive an extra 25 miles to get it to the dealer I bought the bike at. I had my first service and the aftermarket levers installed by the dealer I bought the bike from and there was no sign of clutch issues at that time. If I'm told by the other dealer the repairs will not be covered under warranty, does it make sense for me to try to get the bike towed to the dealer to see if they will cover the repairs or is that pointless?

I can't believe I'm already having clutch issues to deal with. Everything on the bike is stock with the exception of the aftermarket clutch/brake levers, frame/axle sliders, and new Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stand your ground it's a warranty job, a clutch failing at 1500 miles is a joke. My bike now pulls a *lot* better at 60mph+ than it ever did before, must have been slipping from day 1. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stand your ground it's a warranty job, a clutch failing at 1500 miles is a joke. My bike now pulls a *lot* better at 60mph+ than it ever did before, must have been slipping from day 1. Good luck.
Last week the dealer I had my bike towed to told me Ducati would not be covered the repairs under warranty and it would cost around $650 for parts and labor. He mentioned that there was not enough free play with the aftermarket levers and believed this to be the root cause of the clutch wear. I was pretty irritated and told them I would contact the local dealer I bought the bike from. They agreed to pick up the bike last week but have not had time to look at the bike yet. I'm hoping to get an update in the next two days and have this either covered under warranty or have the dealer cover the repairs since they installed the aftermarket levers. I still can't believe a clutch would fail around 1500 miles...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
I still can't believe a clutch would fail around 1500 miles...
If there's no free play, I'm pretty sure a clutch can fail in less than 1500 miles. Without any free play, the disks will constantly slide against each other and will be worn very quickly as they are not designed for a constant slide. The normal state for a clutch disk is to be firmly in contact with the next one, without any relative movement between both disks.

To be clear, I'm not saying you are responsible of your "no free play clutch", I'm just explaining that such a situation can wear the disks very quickly.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Since the dealership did the lever swap, you'd think they'd be responsible for the repair. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sarah

·
Registered
560 Posts
Since the dealership did the lever swap, you'd think they'd be responsible for the repair. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Fully agree !
They should have warned you if they'd consider these levers were inappropriate with not enough free-play.
Considering that a "lever with not enough free-play" by construction doesn't exist, specially on a cable-operated clutch. When a lever with a badly set up free-play is a human error ;-)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts