Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this summer I noticed a slip under load at highway speeds. Kept adjusting it at the perch until eventually an adjustment near the fuel tank had to be made. Now its just slipping even with the correct adjustment. The oil looks pretty gray. The bike is still under warranty so I decided to give my local dealer a call.

Had a chat with the service manager, asked him if a warranty clutch replacement is a realistic expectation at this point. He seemed to agree that the wear is premature. So I'll be making an appointment to have it looked at, fingers crossed.

Also found a small oil leak from the grommet that seals the stator wiring, so I'm hoping everything can be done at the same time. I'll update the post once the bike goes in.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mine's shot at about the same kms. Sadly for me I'm out of the warranty period. Be interesting to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Mine slipped after the last service (under pressure). I backed it off at the handlebar which cured it.
However on initial start up it really clunk's into gear (and jumps forward). Doesn't matter if I pull the clutch in a few times before start up, after, or let the bike warm up.
11,500 miles now and 'holding my breath'.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mine slipped badly after a 12k km service at 6800 plus revs. I tried adjustment at the perch without luck and ordered a Barnett kit from the states after reading about clutch issues on this site.. It took so long to come i had one last play with the cable. I zeroed the adjustment at the perch to get the straightest run and used the adjuster under the tank only. 12,000 kms later the barnett is still sitting on a shelf.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have no adjustment left under the tank and I'm bang up to the perch on the bars. Hopefully I've been turning it the right way!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi, I hope you don't mind me adding my 2c's.
My problem right now is the opposite on a brand new bike. Still not resolved but I found two identical reports on this site detailing the exact same problem which was resolved with a physically different looking clutch stack. Also I have found and posted a technical release on errors in the initial set up of the oil supply to the clutch assembly. My take on this is all the reports from riders on 'bikes moving forward when I engage first' and 'I can't find neutral' are symptoms of a sticking clutch and if the damn thing sticks it will prematurely wear the disks. This is 2019 FFS it must be possible to set up a clutch properly on these bikes and get them to last 30K plus

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My problem right now is the opposite on a brand new bike. Still not resolved but I found two identical reports on this site detailing the exact same problem which was resolved with a physically different looking clutch stack. Also I have found and posted a technical release on errors in the initial set up of the oil supply to the clutch assembly. My take on this is all the reports from riders on 'bikes moving forward when I engage first' and 'I can't find neutral' are symptoms of a sticking clutch and if the damn thing sticks it will prematurely wear the disks. This is 2019 FFS it must be possible to set up a clutch properly on these bikes and get them to last 30K plus
Obviously I'm not entirely happy but my clutch as worked well other than the premature wear (2015 Icon). Being a wet clutch I would have expected it to last a good while longer even with the style of riding I do (a lot of slow moving traffic for example). That said I'm no mechanic so there is a chance I may be at fault (badly adjusted, heavy on usage etc). However, this is the first bike I've ever had to replace the clutch in and all my previous bikes were second or even third hand+.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Actually the problem is worse.
Even when mine slipped I'm pretty sure it still stuck when cold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Add mine to the list, it's at about 10K kms now. Clutch started slipping a while back (around 6000 kms), no more adjustment left at the tank now, only a few turns remaining at the perch & it's slipping again. I'll be dropping it off at the dealer next week, purchased April 2018, so I am expecting warranty on this...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry, I suppressed a giggle at that ;)
Yeah you & me both...

Regardless of whether they step up I'm actually pretty disgusted with Ducati. I've never worn out a clutch on a bike with so little mileage on it. Safe to say that once its repaired I'll be selling, I have really enjoyed my Sled but this ruins the experience for me.

** update to this post... hadn't ridden in about 5 days, jumped on today pulled the brake lever and it dropped all the way to the bar. This is the second time this has happened, last time was almost the same time last year & had to bleed the brakes. This is not normal or acceptable.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
What are you guys (not) doing to your clutches? 9000 miles, never needed adjustment....

** update to this post... hadn't ridden in about 5 days, jumped on today pulled the brake lever and it dropped all the way to the bar. This is the second time this has happened, last time was almost the same time last year & had to bleed the brakes. This is not normal or acceptable.
Replacement levers by any chance?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was told it could be replacement levers by the local shop so you could be onto something. I did think I'd readjusted them correctly though. I also had them check the adjustment and they didn't vocalise an issue. I'm willing to admit I may not have done them correctly though - little knowledge unall that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

Just dropped the bike off yesterday afternoon. It seemed to me the service advisor was preparing me for bad news after he said, "I agree at this mileage the wear is premature but its a wear item and Ducati can go either way on this one". I'm hoping for word back this week. I made sure I mentioned that my first bike had over 70,000 on the original clutch (1982 CB750) and I've always maintained the correct free play at the lever.

Maybe we should gather up all the premature clutch wear complaints into a new thread? Linking the older posts as well? Or just add it to this one. It might benefit me and others dealing with this problem in the future.

Will update once I hear back from the dealership. (Maranello's Ducati in Toronto).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

A week has past since the bike was dropped off at Maranello Ducati. It took a few days for them to even touch it. They did not road test the bike to verify my complaint. Instead they chose to take it apart for inspection.

I received a call mid week, the service advisor had asked if I used any oil additives because they found sludge between the discs? This dealer did my break in service at 1000km and it's now at the next interval (12,000KM). No additives were used. I did mention I replaced the oil at 11,000km and replaced the filter using oem parts from their dealer and the oil came out thick and gray.

Anyway, I was told they're going to clean the discs, put it back together and road test. That didn't happen until yesterday (Monday). I received a call at 5pm, the clutch is still slipping. Now they have to contact Ducati warranty department for further instruction. I'm assuming it needs the discs replaced.

So far they're not charging me but I did pay for the 12,000KM service. I'm hoping they don't re use that oil they just put in.

I'll update the post once I know more.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
17 Posts
UPDATE:

A week has past since the bike was dropped off at Maranello Ducati. It took a few days for them to even touch it. They did not road test the bike to verify my complaint. Instead they chose to take it apart for inspection.
LG86 - I sent you a message

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final Update :

So after 3 1/2 weeks my DS is finally back home. The clutch discs were ordered and installed but the clutch was binding during the road test. Just an FYI the replacement clutch discs have been revised and now have a new part number. Ducati must have recognized that there's an issue.

More time was needed to remove and inspect the assembly. A few days later I was told the clutch basket is no good and is on order. Had to wait about a week for that to show up but it's all together and fixed. Took it out for a rip and confirmed that it is no longer slipping. The effort to pull the clutch lever back is noticeably greater but everything seems to work good. Just glad to have it back. Everything was 100% covered so for those who may encounter this issue and are told it's not covered by warranty, do not accept that answer.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts