Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good News! So you got yours done twice as quick as me, took Ducati in Spain 7 weeks. My clutch was grabbing when hot. They changed the disks and finally changed the basket. Now it is perfect. Happy Days and I hope Ducati do know now they have a problem with some scrambler clutches

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might as well throw my update in as well...
The dealer has had my bike for a week, clutch toast at 9300 kms. New clutch being put in under warranty, supposed to be ready tomorrow. At this point I do not know what exactly has been replaced, I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Well actually, if you think about it, with a cable clutch you can at least see the free play. I check that every ride (and it never changes btw). I seriously think the root of most clutch problems is running it with too little free play...

With an hydraulic clutch (that operates more smoothly, admitted) you can't, you just have to trust it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well actually, if you think about it, with a cable clutch you can at least see the free play. I check that every ride (and it never changes btw). I seriously think the root of most clutch problems is running it with too little free play...

With an hydraulic clutch (that operates more smoothly, admitted) you can't, you just have to trust it.
I totally agree Max. As for the hydraulic clutch on the 19's, I have to wonder if Ducati just switched so that it removes the freeplay setting from the equation. Who know's?!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My free play is very sensitive. There is a gnats cock between clutch slipping under pressure and lurching forward when putting into first when cold. I go for the latter option but am not happy about it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Funny thing is my clutch worked a treat, no jumping forward or slipping when on the gas but it still wore out around 11000kms. I'm still eking the last few kms out of it but I have a new clutch on order so hopefully things have changed. For piece of mind I'll have my Ducati engineer mate look at the adjustment for me when I'm done bodging.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Deano968 Did you order an OEM clutch or go aftermarket?
I was looking at a Barnett clutch to replace mine but I have a mate in Brissy that can get me trade on a Ducati OEM one. I think I'd rather go Barnett but given it's taken me nearly four years to get to where I am wear-wise I'm risking taking the Duke one for ease, perhaps a bit of a saving - I hope they've improved the design, or something.

I did a bit of scratching around if you're interested and got in touch with this outfit (C&P from their email to me):

Thanks Dean

Clutch $350 in stock at our importer eta 1 day

11 friction and 10 steels

Springs $35 out of stock on order eta 14 days

Express post $19.9

Regards

John

Show and Go Motorcycles

236 Brighton Rd

Somerton Park, SA, 5044

https://www.showandgo.com.au

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can I please add that in the course of the 7 week fiasco of Ducati changing my clutch I discovered that the same models of scramblers are shipped to different markets with different clutches. Apparently even the engine number didn't enable Ducati to identify the right clutch they had to open it up and eyeball it. Also my problem was the cage. Hard for me to understand how I could be the only one with a badly machined basket....there must be many others out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Can I please add that in the course of the 7 week fiasco of Ducati changing my clutch I discovered that the same models of scramblers are shipped to different markets with different clutches. Apparently even the engine number didn't enable Ducati to identify the right clutch they had to open it up and eyeball it. Also my problem was the cage. Hard for me to understand how I could be the only one with a badly machined basket....there must be many others out there.
The dealer changed out my basket too. Said it was binding after installing bthe new discs.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Long story short. I ended up buying a Barnett Clutch which I have sat on my desk ready to fit.

I'll be waiting till I've done a ride in December before I crack on but I'll bob some amateur feedback notes here.

Sadly due to the mileage I manage (~3000km pa) it'll be a while before I know about the wear. I'm going to do as Max has suggested in another thread and bend that 'lock-clip' that's supposed to stop any adjustment via vibrations etc I guess. I settled for Friction plates, steels and springs. I think my Basket is fine but will have a look once I'm in there.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Long story short. I ended up buying a Barnett Clutch which I have sat on my desk ready to fit.

I'll be waiting till I've done a ride in December before I crack on but I'll bob some amateur feedback notes here.

Sadly due to the mileage I manage (~300km pa) it'll be a while before I know about the wear. I'm going to do as Max has suggested in another thread and bend that 'lock-clip' that's supposed to stop any adjustment via vibrations etc I guess. I settled for Friction plates, steels and springs. I think my Basket is fine but will have a look once I'm in there.
300km pa?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'd obviously like to do more, and I can't complain about the weather over here but life just keeps on getting in the way mate :)
Tell me about it. Broken fibula six weeks plus, just as my torn off finger has healed, itself just as cracked rib better, just as swollen knee gone down.
Was 60 in January. Started riding off-road. Only fibula is 'non bike'.
What a f..... g year!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Tell me about it. Broken fibula six weeks plus, just as my torn off finger has healed, itself just as cracked rib better, just as swollen knee gone down.
Was 60 in January. Started riding off-road. Only fibula is 'non bike'.
What a f..... g year!
Bodies! Mend quickly matey.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Deano968 Why did you change your mind from the trade price OEM one?
I was let down on the original offer to a degree so thought I'd take a punt on the Barnett after all. I didn't even bother pricing an OEM.

Now I'm just trying to pluck up the courage to fit it ;).

Slightly confused having printed off some pages from the workshop manual which mentions 3 different thicknesses of 'driving plates' (2.8mm, 2.5mm and 1.5mm). May have to get the verniers out!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts