Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
just dropped my icon at the Mumbai workshop for the same issue. Hard acceleration from second gear onwards shows significant slippage of the clutch. .
It clearly means that your clutch lever hasn't got any free-play and your clutch is not totally engaged when then lever is released. In such conditions, disks are always slipping and they get worn faster.
To test if you have enough free-play, just ride your bike at a stable speed, press the clutch lever without closing gas and look after which displacement of the lever the engine rev increases.
You must at least have 1 or 2 mm of free-play.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Obviously a crap delaer that has less than useless mechanics that have no clue how to set the bike up prior to delivery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, I've gone through this exact issue, clutch slipping under power, I also thought it was clutch related.
It is BUT its not the main culprit.
It is the Clutch Springs on the Ducati Scrambler.
This MUST be an issue that Ducati is not telling anybody about.
There must have been a Torque setting at the Ducati Factory that was not set to 10Nm.
If the Clutch springs are not Torqued Correctly the Clutch plates do not hold and wear prematurely.
My ICON's clutch was toast at 7,700kms.
I ordered a new OEM clutch and installed it, set it to the same settings as OEM went for a test ride and under power the clutch still slipped!
This Baffled me and I asked a few Ducati Mechanic Friends, they said the Plates should basically be crushed to the basket.
Back to the Drawing Board I went, so I tightened the springs to 10Nm, adjust the the cable as per Manual settings.
And the problem is no more.

It is critical that the clutch springs are torqued correctly or the power of the engine wears the clutch plates.

Here is my video.
Hope this helps for other Scramblers who have this issue as I don't think its going away.

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Spring bolts do not tighten the springs more if you set them tighter. The distance you compress them is independent from how tight the bolt is. You just screw them all the way in until they can't get any further, then set them at 10Nm so they won't come loose.

·
Registered
17 Posts

After a lot of trial and error, playing with the clutch cable tensions etc.
This is how my clutch springs look at 5Nm of Torque.
My clutch DOES NOT slip under acceleration any more.
I must admit I did snap a spring bolt over tightening.
SO BE CAREFUL.
Manual says 10Nm.
I chickened out and went to 5Nm.

·
Registered
17 Posts

There could be many factors as to why clutches slip.
Manual also says uncompressed springs should be = 56.2mm.
Working length = 42.6mm
After first major service, the springs may need to be retightened?
I'm Not Sure?

So in summary, if your clutch is slipping early or wearing out prematurely.
I'd definitely look into spring torque settings.

The bad news is...
The clutch plates have most likely been fried by engine power.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I've gone through this exact issue, clutch slipping under power, I also thought it was clutch related.
It is BUT its not the main culprit.
It is the Clutch Springs on the Ducati Scrambler.
This MUST be an issue that Ducati is not telling anybody about.
There must have been a Torque setting at the Ducati Factory that was not set to 10Nm.
If the Clutch springs are not Torqued Correctly the Clutch plates do not hold and wear prematurely.
My ICON's clutch was toast at 7,700kms.
I ordered a new OEM clutch and installed it, set it to the same settings as OEM went for a test ride and under power the clutch still slipped!
This Baffled me and I asked a few Ducati Mechanic Friends, they said the Plates should basically be crushed to the basket.
Back to the Drawing Board I went, so I tightened the springs to 10Nm, adjust the the cable as per Manual settings.
And the problem is no more.

It is critical that the clutch springs are torqued correctly or the power of the engine wears the clutch plates.

Here is my video.
Hope this helps for other Scramblers who have this issue as I don't think its going away.

Cheers Dan.
Fantastic video! Thanks for taking the time to do it. I'm sure this will help many people in the future.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts