Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, So i just purchased a 2018 with 1600 miles on it, after riding for a while i noticed that clutch was slipping on 4th-5th gear but not on the lower gears...

after having the clutch replaced from my mechanic he took out 10 Fiber plates but when installing the clutch from a hypermotard (until oem arrives) the 10 fibers wont fit on the bike so he installed 9 and clutch looks like its working fine.

he told that maybe they installed another plate in order to remedy the slipping?

does anyone knows how many plates comes on this bike?

does this sounds correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, looks like 1 plate was missing - perhaps that is why it slipped??!

To answer your question - there are 11

The plate pack (9) consists of: -
11 driving plates (A) with 2.8 mm thickness; -
6 driven plates (B) with 2 mm thickness; -
1 convex driven plate (C) with 1.5 mm thick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, looks like 1 plate was missing - perhaps that is why it slipped??!

To answer your question - there are 11

The plate pack (9) consists of: -
11 driving plates (A) with 2.8 mm thickness; -
6 driven plates (B) with 2 mm thickness; -
1 convex driven plate (C) with 1.5 mm thick

View attachment 45284
Thanks for the reply but looks like im missing parts... they removed 10 (A) driving plates and now I have 9, for some reason 10 didnt fit!

clutch apears to be working but idk if this is correct

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My clutch wore out in ~11,000kms (partly due to me not keeping a keen eye on the free-play) but I ended up replacing the OEM with a Barnett - all the plates are the same thickness so there's no messing around with different thicknesses at specific points. You're probably not looking for such a radical answer but it's a good solution if you do get to replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a full OEM clutch assembly for sale in the parts sales section if you need a new one that's stock with everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, I've gone through this exact issue, clutch slipping under power, I also thought it was clutch related.
It is BUT its not the main culprit.
It is the Clutch Springs on the Ducati Scrambler.
This MUST be an issue that Ducati is not telling anybody about.
There must have been a Torque setting at the Ducati Factory that was not set to 10Nm.
If the Clutch springs are not Torqued Correctly the Clutch plates do not hold the power and wear prematurely.
My ICON's clutch was toast at 7,700kms.
I ordered a new OEM clutch and installed it, set it to the same settings as OEM went for a test ride and under power the clutch still slipped!
This Baffled me and I asked a few Ducati Mechanic Friends, they said the Plates should basically be crushed to the basket.
Back to the Drawing Board I went, so I tightened the springs to 10Nm, adjust the the cable as per Manual settings.
And the problem is no more.

It is critical that the clutch springs are torqued correctly or the power of the engine wears the clutch plates.

Here is my video.
Hope this helps for other Scramblers who have this issue as I don't think its going away.

Cheers Dan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts