Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my scrambler is out of warranty so I just done the first big (Desmo?) service myself (qualified mechanic)
Belts
Oil and filter
Air filter and a new chain

I used Castrol power 1 10w40 motorcycle engine oil and now the clutch slips until the engine is hot.

I looked though the manual and it says I can use 10w40?

Anyone else had the same or similar problem?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
These engines prefer 15W50. That said, 10W40 should just work except for real hot days. Hmmmm ?

You could try to save it by switching back to 15W50?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I used Castrol power 1 10w40 motorcycle engine oil and now the clutch slips until the engine is hot.
10w40 is going to be more viscous at operating temp than 15w50 so I guess if the bike engine temp is not high due to heavy use or high ambient temps then the possibility for clutch slip exists. I looked at my owners manual and it makes no alternate recommendations - 15w50 is the only choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmm, shouldn't make that big of a difference... I know the Ducati dealership near me uses 10-40 Motul Synthetic when they service Ducati bikes (mine included). Please update once you've changed oil.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The viscosity of the oil will make little or no difference to the clutch performance. The additives will though and I’ve replaced three clutches due to owners putting in the wrong oil for their bike, maybe thinking dearer is better, not sure.
These were a 94 Fireblade, Yamaha MT01 and a KTM 690.
The reason I replaced the clutch plates rather than just wash/decontaminate them is because they chose to buy new friction discs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not unusual to get confused or conflicting info from the manufacturer. When I bought my Icon, there was no Shell Advance to be found. At initial maintenance, my dealer used BMW 15-50. At the next scheduled maintenance he used Motul as well as I remember. Since then SA has been available (and I've been changing). Also now branded as Ducati. In terms of "feel", BMW and SA are perfect. Motul only slightly less so. They all kept the clutch happy. I ride in temps from 32°F - 100°F. For peace of mind I'd go ahead and change.

Oil_owners_man 001.jpg
oil_use_only.JPG

·
Registered
205 Posts
TRX850's had a squealing clutch issue. Yamaha dealers drilled the clutch basket but the only thing that cured it for me was Motul 5100 15-50. Other 15-50 brands didn't work....so yeah...must be additives.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I've just got a bottle of 15w50 Castrol engine oil so i'll change it this weekend and let you know how I get on... might be a week before I update you though as my MOT has just run out!

aldntn - that's the table I have, saw 10w40 and thought it would be alright, i'll drain the oil with clutch lever pulled in to try and release as much oil from the plates as possible. I'll refill with oil, take it for a long ride, try to soak the clutch plates in the new oil.
If that fails i'll remove the clutch, clean the plates and carry out another oil change but with shell advance oil.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I only stock and use 10/40 or 15/40 Shell Advance or Shell Ultra, whatever’s available in the quantity I want in all my own bikes large or small (er) and have never had clutch problems.
Those who chose to supply me with their own can take there chances but I’ve not had boomerangs with Castro 4t either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only stock and use 10/40 or 15/40 Shell Advance or Shell Ultra, whatever’s available in the quantity I want in all my own bikes large or small (er) and have never had clutch problems.
Those who chose to supply me with their own can take there chances but I’ve not had boomerangs with Castro 4t either.
I've never had any problems either so its strange in this case. The bikes mileage is 14,000 so clutch should be in great condition, clutch lever/cable is correctly adjusted too so that's not causing it to slip.

still haven't had the chance to change the oil yet but I will do soon and let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After reading about all the premature slippage issues on these bikes, my conclusion is that the clutch is simply a weak point on the Ducati Scrambler motorcycle. Adjustment and individual user habits seem to account for some variation on clutch lifespan; however, it still seems to be short (and finicky/sensitive) when compared to Japanese bikes. *Not that that helps anyone :cry:.

I'd be interested to see some posts from members with high mileage bikes who have their original clutches (riding style, maintenance, even year of bike). See if there are some commonalities worth considering. Same goes for those at the other end of the clutch lifespan spectrum...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had clutch slip immediately after a Ducati dealer oil change and service at 12000 kms. I was pissed off having read all the tales of early failure so i ordered some barnett plates and springs. It was weird slip because it only happened at peak torque about 7200 revs, in 5th . I couldn´t replicate it by hill starting in 2nd which was the old test of slippage in my youth.
Anyway 3000 kms later i am still waiting on the plates and springs to arrive from an agent and now the slip has stopped!.

·
Registered
342 Posts
stavely has the slip come back ?
I waited quite a while for the clutch parts to arrive from Barnett. In the meantime I zeroed the adjuster at the bars and then used only the adjuster under the tank.
At 26000 kms now and the barnett bits are still on my shelf. The slippage never came back. I think the cable adjustment is super sensitive on these bikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read this thread whilst I was having my clutch drama which turned out to be a badly machined clutch basket. During the 8(!) weeks it took the highly trained Ducati engineers to solve this unique(!) problem I rather inevitably learned a lot about Ducati clutches. It seems the oil feed to the clutch is critical. On non-scramblers this is adjusted by a tapered nozle feed into the clutch and set up carefully at the factory. For the Scrambler an accountant thought a nut and a washer would do the trick and fit and forget. So an engineering bulletin was released which I have downloaded to my 'sticking clutch' thread. The adjustment has to be made within 30 seconds of starting the bike from cold from which nonsense I take it that the clutch is really sensitive to the cold viscosity of the oil. Maybe this has something to do with the OP post on oil change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts