Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cleaning/greasing the ends of my cables annually with the appropriate shell grease but I'm wondering if anyone sprays lube inside the and through the entire cable? From what I've read, our cables don't need this because they are coated but the literature states "cables should not need to be..." which to me is not 100% conclusive and subjective to the type of riding.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I never lubed a clutch or throttle cable in 30 years on a street bike. They are lined with self lubing nylon or ptfe.

Some lube tends to turn thicker over time making the problem just worse imho.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Used to lube my XR125's throttle and clutch cable as they would get sticky but have't one any bike since. 12,500 miles on my last scrambler, through all weathers and it never seemed to need it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Many cables these days have a liner inside to provide lubrication. If you then put an oil based substance inside with the liner you will effectively stuff the cable and cause more friction. I am not sure what the Scrambler has but I would not be lubing the actual clutch cable without checking how it is made first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts