Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Competition from Benelli?

16K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  asiaoildude 
#1 · (Edited)

Benelli announced a new motorcycle at EICMA this week...the Leoncino, or Lion Cub. The name was last used on their most iconic motorcycle post WWII. The bike is very clearly aimed at the Scrambler's market. How much of a threat to you think it's going to be to the Scrambler?

This modern take on the classic Benelli Leoncino is an attractive scrambler model, which makes 47hp from its 500cc parallel-twin engine.

This also means that the Benelli Leoncino a well-suited A2 license machine in Europe, and its wire-spoked wheels are 19″ in the front and 17″ in the rear, and should make the Leoncino surprisingly adapt at light off-road use.

Radially mounted four-piston brake calipers up front are mated to wave-pattern 320mm brake discs, which are held by 50mm upside down forks. A 240mm brake disc handles things in the rear.

2016 Benelli Leoncino Brings Back the Lion Cub

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#11 ·
That's the nicest looking 'competition' I've seen - way better looking than Yamaha's offer! I think I'd have that one over the Scrambler 400 - but not the 800 :)

ETA I've just seen it from the side. Now I'm not so sure .. :confused:

The Guzzi looks nice - but is that the same engine as the normal V7?

#15 ·
DUe to Ducati´s and BMW success with the Scrambler and R Nine T it was a forgone conclusion that the other manufacturers would jump on the bandwagen. The difference is that their attempts are more or less standard models with bits bolted on, the Scrambler is a completely new bike from the ground up, with the exception of the engine.
They all seem a bit diluted to me and most are missing the essential nostalgie and for me the seat hight :D

#17 ·
Ducati hit it out of the park with the Scrambler and for them to have an entry level price point bike, that did so well, I think that the other manufacturers have taken note.

The moto industry is reinventing itself a little to try and lure new consumers into the market. Personally, I like the trend. In a few years though, the Scrambler scene will be flooded with choice.

I think it is interesting that Triumph killed their Scrambler at the same time that the rest of the industry is starting to compete in that space. Granted, you can still get a "scrambler kit" to outfit the Bonnie into a scrambler, but a turn-key unit is not available.

#19 ·
The fact that the other marques are climbing onto the Scrambler train proves that imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery.

Ducati created an instant classic and now the rest of the pack want a piece of the action.

No one remembers the second man to land on the moon.

If you were lucky enough to get a first year Scrambler Ducati you have a special bike, one which is the standard by which all other scramblers will be measured.

Triumph no doubt will resurrect their Scrambler at some point, but , the new one will have to be more than a heavy retro cruiser with a high pipe and knobby tires.

#21 ·
You're quite right Nick,:) I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at the first board meeting when Ducati sanctioned the design go ahead for the Scrambler, I'd like bet Triumph were mentioned more than once,
But to bring out the four different models which were basically the same,and with all the parts easily interchanged from model to model was a master stroke,

#25 ·
I guess it's sort of like with the iPhone. Was Apple the one who invented smartphones? Of course not. But how popular was it before? Not long after iPhone came out, everybody had the smartphones, either iPhones or something similar. It's kinda the same..

Iiishh.. did I just compare Scrambler to an iPhone.... o_O

#27 ·
hey guys

bringing to life this topic about this new motorcycle since I crashed my Classic 2016 and the insurance company gave total loss and the price when I bought this classic has increased basically 2500$.... basically I am 6000 back to get a new one .... so not a option for me now

I am thinking about getting this Leoncino 500

do you think I will feel the difference in cc and torque?

#28 ·
hey guys

bringing to life this topic about this new motorcycle since I crashed my Classic 2016 and the insurance company gave total loss and the price when I bought this classic has increased basically 2500$.... basically I am 6000 back to get a new one .... so not a option for me now

I am thinking about getting this Leoncino 500

do you think I will feel the difference in cc and torque?
I don't know ... I think I'd feel the difference between 49hp and 73hp pretty easily. Regardless, if the Benelli appeals to you and your test ride brings you a smile, why not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.