Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever completely removed the ABS?

What did it take (apart from new brake hoses and removing the unit duh) to satisfy the bike's computer?

Just wondering...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why would you want to remove the entire system when you can just shut it off if you would like? I was never a fan of ABS until I owned a Triumph that has it. Can't say that I really notice it. It may have even worked once or twice.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's not the question, innit? :playful:

How, that's the question.

(some people dream of fitting different sized wheels, which screws up the ABS apparently)

·
Registered
105 Posts
hi, did you remove the abs in the end? I’m about to take mine off. Just wanted to ask if there was any issue with the computer after it was removed.

That's not the question, innit? :playful:

How, that's the question.

(some people dream of fitting different sized wheels, which screws up the ABS apparently)

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi, did you remove the abs in the end? I’m about to take mine off. Just wanted to ask if there was any issue with the computer after it was removed.
Apparently the bike will run/ride fine without it, but the speedometer gets the signal from rear ABS sensor, so you will not have speedo/odo/trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve removed the whole unit, pump, hoses, sensors, phonic wheel, the lot. You get an error flashing on the dash but i’m ok with it as the bike is race only & don’t even run a front brake. Easy enough to do and saves you some weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve removed the whole unit, pump, hoses, sensors, phonic wheel, the lot. You get an error flashing on the dash but i’m ok with it as the bike is race only & don’t even run a front brake. Easy enough to do and saves you some weight.
Hello, Most of us experienced riders detest ABS, Could you possibly provide part numbers for non-abs replacement brake line? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, Most of us experienced riders detest ABS, Could you possibly provide part numbers for non-abs replacement brake line? Thanks
Hi, unfortunately I can’t provide a part nr. as I make my own brake lines. I can’t even replicate them as I use a completely different set up with a PS13 rear master cylinder and a P34 calliper. Beside is not as simple as you’ll have to blank out the ABS pump both ways for the rear. You could of course disconnect altogether like I did, with the small inconvenience of a dash light. All in all, unless you’re doing it for either racing or weight saving, is a lot of trouble to go to, especially at the rear. But I can of course help, if you’re in London hit me up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is incredible general and simply not true. IMO ABS is the single best safety addition to motorcycles in the 51 years that it have owned and ridden them.
Advantages are marginal at the front and definitely not needed at the rear. Not saying that is not a positive to have it but there have been bigger advancements in safety in a number of areas that are way more beneficial.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Advantages are marginal at the front and definitely not needed at the rear. Not saying that is not a positive to have it but there have been bigger advancements in safety in a number of areas that are way more beneficial.
Yet another qualitative statement with no reference to context or audience. Even the crappy Honda Grom ABS deserves a contextual reference before generalizing it as a marginal advantage. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yet another qualitative statement with no reference to context or audience. Even the crappy Honda Grom ABS deserves a contextual reference before generalizing it as a marginal advantage. :rolleyes:
Agree. If people don’t want to use ABS s expire it’s factually proven advantages for road riding that is their choice but they should not be saying that they are in the majority because they are not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Or just someone else’s opinion and as such should be respected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree. If people don’t want to use ABS s expire it’s factually proven advantages for road riding that is their choice but they should not be saying that they are in the majority because they are not.
Never said I was in the majority. Just that the advantages are marginal as the abs systems on bikes are, frankly, a bit crude. I’m not even recommending people remove it, only that it can be done, if anything I’m discouraging it. Also I’ve explained the bike is race only so that’s why I’ve removed it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Or just someone else’s opinion and as such should be respected.
@Meccanico there is nothing wrong with opinions and I fully support and respect an individual's right to express their take on any subject; however, there is a significant difference between expressing an opinion and stating facts.

For example:

The Ducati Scrambler is the slowest motorcycle out there. This is stated as a fact without empirical or quantitative support. I would not respect this statement.
The Ducati Scrambler is the slowest motorcycle I have ever riden. This is stated as a personal fact, which I respect.
In my opinion, the Ducati Scrambler is the slowest motorcycle out there. This is stated as an opinion, which I respect.
I think the Ducati Scrambler is the slowest motorcycle out there. Variation of the above-opinionated statement, which I respect.

I realize this is the Internet and people will have varying levels of grammar skills, however:

"Advantages are marginal at the front and definitely not needed at the rear." -Meccanico

Your statement about ABS is written broadly and as a fact, which inexperienced riders common to the Scrambler line may not understand should be taken as an opinion. Hopefully, you can respect the danger of making such broad remarks without qualifying them as an opinion on a forum frequented by new riders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Meccanico clearly sees ABS the way I do!
as ABS bikes are not currently able to function with only front, however If possible I would have front only abs with option to disable but NO rear ABS.

How many years riding has Zero to do with riding style.
Me and my brother Ernie EDUB Vigil detest ABS and are able to have Complete control ! of any Non-ABS bike.

Please look up Ernie Vigil and know how we ride is not possible with abs. In fact ABS brakes take away full control.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Meccanico clearly sees ABS the way I do!
as ABS bikes are not currently able to function with only front, however If possible I would have front only abs with option to disable but NO rear ABS.
@VehiCROS you may have missed the point, and you have done the same thing Meccanico did. You just made a statement as fact, which is incorrect. Motorcycles with ABS can have ABS in the front only with no ABS in the rear. Maybe we are to make assumptions about your statement, however, as stated you are incorrect. I have two Honda Groms in the garage with factory ABS on the front with no ABS on the rear. Maybe you were talking about the Scrambler, but you generalized your statement to all motorcycles.

The reason people make jokes about "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true, LOL" is because of generalized statements such as yours and Meccanico's. I don't expect this thread to change you or the world, but sometimes it is helpful to point out how generalized statements could cause problems for those less knowledgeable.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In fact there are more bikes that can disable ABS on the rear wheel. Typically called offroad or supermoto mode. KTM has a few, and I bet BMW does too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In fact there are more bikes that can disable ABS on the rear wheel. Typically called offroad or supermoto mode. KTM has a few, and I bet BMW does too.
That is Wonderful, I had to think about it, I suppose its pendant on the ABS system knowing when a wheel is actually "slipping", So good to know that some bikes have the option to disable rear ABS, Thanks for the info !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts