Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to go up to the NEC today and have a look at the the bike in the flesh for the first time. Was really excited, but then work caused me to cancel at the last minute. Anyway, four of my friends went up and I asked them to go have a look at the Scrambler and let me know their thoughts.

Now, keep in mind that these guys are keen bikers and very open to all kinds of bikes.... To a man, all four of them said that they weren't impressed at all by the Scrambler! They said it looked like a 'Japanese 125'. It looks tiny (mainly because of the width) and plasticky cheap. They said it looked more like a £5-6000 bike rather than an £8000 one (Classic). To say I was disappointed is an understatement! I respect their opinions and they're not the kind of people to bad mouth something for the hell of it.

Now in two minds about my purchase. I really thought this was going to be the perfect bike, but now I'm thinking about the BMW R Ninet again...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wonder what your friends would say the original Scrambler looks like?
I remember riding Japanese 125s and they were fun! Now imagine one with 75 bhp? This is my second attempt at this experience. I bought the first Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. Being a large man, it was like throwing my leg over my old Penton 175. Some said I looked liked a circus act. There were some cheap 70ish bits here and there as well. (And the inflatable fuel tank). But I could slide it a little, just not enough. So my hope is 25 more bhp more than the Guzzi will be the trick for my wish for fast and nimble little reliable version of a BSA Victor. Finally, I've just had it with engines shrouded in plastic, more plastic birds beaks and the like, and the Scrambler tank is metal!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think rather than the size, it was the way it 'carried' it. More of a concern was the fact that they felt that the overall impression was that of a cheap bike. There was no wow factor...

Actually, it's interesting that you mentioned the V7 - it's a bike I have a real soft spot for and was on my short list (Scrambler, Guzzi V7, Bonneville and the BMW RNineT) for my next bike. The same friends who weren't impressed by the Scrambler, all loved the Guzzi... I'm just disappointed and a little concerned that they unanimously were all unimpressed by the Scrambler.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do you know what I had a phone call from a friend who works from Ducati Manchester. He has Ducatis and went to the show. He said to me " Andy I don't know how you will get on but I had cramp when I sat on it and you have long legs." My answer is simple. That is him and he is 70 odd years old. We are all different and I like the look and lately all I seem to like riding is my RD250 and TT500 both with sit up position. I was kind of down but refuse to be disheartened as I have literally fallen in love with it and until I throw my leg over and ride it I will continue to want to purchase it. What some others may fail to realise this is NOT A SPORTSBIKE, NOT A CRUISER, NOT AN OFF ROADER, Its a bike for every day fun use with the choice of the owner to take where they like. It will be going to the TT IOM with me and be great round the island. I took my Monster there last year and was fab but this should be a hoot.
Lets wait and see and judge for ourselves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right Albie, and it's the reason I haven't decided to cancel my order and look at the previously mentioned alternatives again. I'll wait until I can sit on one and perhaps get a test ride (hopefully in February....). I suppose I've been looking forward to this bike so much that the universally negative comments threw me a bit....

·
Registered
834 Posts
I hope so but lets be honest this is such a depressing situation we are all in unless you work at Bologna as a test rider. My mate ordered a 1200s the same but never had to wait as long. We all want different things from bikes. I was happy with my lighterweight 1100s Monster with all the plastic tank but was alledged soulless by the real monster brigade but I have had them all. The ride position was more sporty and rearsets on mine. It was a great bike and some regrets selling it but was happy to for this bike. My friend reckons I should get the 821 but I want simple fun cool aircooled iconic ducati not vorsprung durch teknic. I can move my ass or move my legs and arms or get some new rearsets or bars or longer shock or taller seat.
Hope to see you at dealer for test rides asap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think rather than the size, it was the way it 'carried' it. More of a concern was the fact that they felt that the overall impression was that of a cheap bike. There was no wow factor...

Actually, it's interesting that you mentioned the V7 - it's a bike I have a real soft spot for and was on my short list (Scrambler, Guzzi V7, Bonneville and the BMW RNineT) for my next bike. The same friends who weren't impressed by the Scrambler, all loved the Guzzi... I'm just disappointed and a little concerned that they unanimously were all unimpressed by the Scrambler.

If you are light weight, and 49 HP is enough, go for it ,it's a great bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't think it was small. It is about the right size for what I am looking for in a bike right now. But my previous bikes have been sportbikes.

While there are a lot of details on the Scrambler that were clearly chosen to reduce costs, I didn't think it was plasticky cheap.

A friend of mine who is more into bikes than I am (and is a BMW and Honda bike guy) went with me to the IMS and he thought the Scrambler was a nice bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hoping it's just going to come down to everyone having different tastes and requirements from their bikes. I'm definitely going to wait till it's in the showrooms so that I can have a good look at it in person. Also, by then the Guzzi V7 II will be available in showrooms for a comparison as well.

Thankfully the deposit wasn't huge (£250), so if I do have to cancel its not going to be the biggest disaster (aside from the fact that I've been waiting for this bike for so long.......).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other thing that crossed my mind was that I want to also do some light touring on the Scrambler, so by the time it's got a small screen and some luggage on it it'll 'bulk up' a bit visually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I normally do a couple of tours per year on the Continent - I take my BMW F700GS which is an excellent load lugger and tourer - the last trip was 3000 miles. But seeing and reading other people's adventures I thought why couldn't I do a tour on something small, light and nimble (Scrambler, V7 etc.)? And I came up with pretty much the same kit you've recommended. Some Kriega luggage, a couple of Rok straps and an easily removable screen should make the whole thing entirely doable. In my mind anyway, the reality may prove somewhat different.....

·
Registered
834 Posts
The monster behaved well for me without a real screen and was a stonking 95hp 1100 engine. I don't expect the Scrambler to be sluggish but bear in mind its not a 796 as a single carb as such now but it should do me. Be honest that people tour on 600 singles easily so this should be ok. I will travel light anyhow and at least it has a steel tank so could now go back to magnetic tank bag too. I may make a little alloy screen out of brushed sheet myself to carry on the look. I wont be buying the Ducati £100 plastic one for sure. There's more chance me putting clip-ons and a Monza race fairing on it and café racer look.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here are my thoughts, We all have opinions and in January when those of of with deposits have a chance to ride. If we don't like it there seems to be enough people out there willing to reserve one that want one (us included) so If it comes down to it I will sell my reservation out to someone else for a few dollars plus the deposit and come out ahead!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do not pay attention to anyone elses opinion until they really take the bike for a ride. I cant wait to see it but when I take it ut for a half hour I will know

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was required to put down $1000 but it is refundable so if I do not like the bike I can walk away with my deposit back

1 - 20 of 56 Posts