Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not an owner just looking for opinions. I am strongly considering the 2019 Desert Sled. I am coming from a Triumph T120, which I really like, but I want to be able to do some dirt. I checked out the new Triumph Scrambler 1200 (very nice) but it is so tall, I was barely on my tip toes. I have to drive a couple of hours to the nearest Ducati dealer, so before I do, is it super tall as well? I’ve read the stats but you can never really tell. My buddy has a classic scrambler and it felt great to sit on, lots of knee bend. I am 5-7.

Also, anything else to consider other the the DS? I’ve looked at the KTM 690 enduro and it is also super tall. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

I'm 6'1 and can sit on it pretty much flat footed on the ground (with boots on). That being said, the DS is a radically different bike than something like a KTM 690/Husky 701 or other enduro/dual sporter. Depends on how much dirt you are going to do and what you do when you are there.

I picked the DS as I love the style, is pretty capable on the road and in the twisties and can do well in the dirt when blasting down fire roads. That being said, if I was on a 701 for example, I would be a lot faster in the dirt but that was not the focus when I picked the bike.

I'm more into having a good time and messing around these days like so: haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. My plan is to take it easy but have capabilities to hit the fire roads and such as I like, but I ride primarily on road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a 2017 DS owner and ride all around the Sonoma CA area, fireroads and pavement. I like the bike but currently looking at the new BMW 850 GS. I really enjoyed the sled but feel we are at the end of the relationship. It was my first adv type bike, so I am feeling like I need more after two years of fun.

To go longer distance in the middle of nowhere and have more creature comforts like built in nav. Not to mention racks, cases, softbags and countless accessories... The BMW checks all those boxes. Don’t get me wrong, I would never take back purchasing the sled. After all, it gave me the thurst and experience to know what I really wanted out of an adv type bike. I can absolutely say that you will enjoy the sled, just think about the boxes it checks for you.

Hi, not an owner just looking for opinions. I am strongly considering the 2019 Desert Sled. I am coming from a Triumph T120, which I really like, but I want to be able to do some dirt. I checked out the new Triumph Scrambler 1200 (very nice) but it is so tall, I was barely on my tip toes. I have to drive a couple of hours to the nearest Ducati dealer, so before I do, is it super tall as well? I’ve read the stats but you can never really tell. My buddy has a classic scrambler and it felt great to sit on, lots of knee bend. I am 5-7.

Also, anything else to consider other the the DS? I’ve looked at the KTM 690 enduro and it is also super tall. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, great input. I have a Triumph Tiger 1200 I use for long distance but it is too tall and heavy for significant off road use. I can do some light off road but I am looking for a one day, 2 at the most, on /off road bike I can throw around at decent speed, then get back on the freeway and ride around town on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It should serve you well and it’s a super fun bike. I did have to buy a 1gal Rotopax because of numerous close calls. If you look at my profile I have a gallery of the upgrades I did. The tank size is really the only big drawback. Good luck!

Thanks, great input. I have a Triumph Tiger 1200 I use for long distance but it is too tall and heavy for significant off road use. I can do some light off road but I am looking for a one day, 2 at the most, on /off road bike I can throw around at decent speed, then get back on the freeway and ride around town on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a 2017 DS owner and ride all around the Sonoma CA area, fireroads and pavement. I like the bike but currently looking at the new BMW 850 GS. I really enjoyed the sled but feel we are at the end of the relationship. It was my first adv type bike, so I am feeling like I need more after two years of fun.

To go longer distance in the middle of nowhere and have more creature comforts like built in nav. Not to mention racks, cases, softbags and countless accessories... The BMW checks all those boxes. Don’t get me wrong, I would never take back purchasing the sled. After all, it gave me the thurst and experience to know what I really wanted out of an adv type bike. I can absolutely say that you will enjoy the sled, just think about the boxes it checks for you.

The 850 GS it´s not a BMW, it´s a Loncin (and this is a better option for buyers).

·
Registered
47 Posts
That’s bullshit.

(Yes the engine may be assembled by Loncin, heck maybe even the bike, but it’s not “a Loncin”.)
Of course
The bmw's rotax it's a rotax...but the loncin It"s a bmw.
And the fork, and the chassis.....
So bmw than the 310.

·
Registered
47 Posts
On November 9, Loncin Motor released the Progress Announcement on cooperation project with BMW. The Announcement shows that, through the cooperation between two parties, BMW C400X large-displacement scooter produced by Loncin Motor and BMW F750GS, F850GS large-displacement motorcycles carrying 850CC double-cylinder engine of Loncin have been officially released in the 75th EICMA-International Motorcycle Exhibition which was opened on November 7, 2017, which indicates that the two cooperation projects between Loncin and BMW have reached the expected goal. 850CC double-cylinder engine of Loncin has passed the examination of mass production by BMW in early November, 2017, and starts to continuously supply to BMW from this month. In addition, C400X finished motorcycle of Loncin is expected to pass the examination of mass production by BMW in January, 2018, and then start to continuously supply to BMW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info, thanks for posting that. BMW of North America had a ride day at my local dealership. Ended up with a loaded R1250 GS exclusive, the balance and rideability is beyond my expectations. Don’t think I’ve grinned and wowed as much on a test ride. My Scrambler days were filled with good memories but I had let the DS go. Keep keeping on and ride safe! Peace!

Of course
The bmw's rotax it's a rotax...but the loncin It"s a bmw.
And the fork, and the chassis.....
So bmw than the 310.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great info, thanks for posting that. BMW of North America had a ride day at my local dealership. Ended up with a loaded R1250 GS exclusive, the balance and rideability is beyond my expectations. Don’t think I’ve grinned and wowed as much on a test ride. My Scrambler days were filled with good memories but I had let the DS go. Keep keeping on and ride safe! Peace!

This is the ducati scrambler forum. Bmw's fanboys have their own forums.
Please, avoid bmw commercials.

·
Registered
143 Posts

I own both the Desert Sled and the Bonnie T120. I looked at and sat on the Triumph Scrambler 1200 (both versions) at last year's motorcycle show. In my opinion the Triumph is too tall, too heavy with the weight kinda high up, and the 1200 engine a bit too much for "fun" dirt riding. After sitting on the Triumph my Desert Sled feels like a dirt bike, or course it's not, but in comparison it feel far lighter with the weight lower and more centralized.

As for height, it's lower than both the Triumph 1200 and most any KTM except a Duke. I'm 5' 9" and find it just about ideal, but I'm also used to tall dirt bikes so I'm not looking to flat foot it. I find the Triumph Street Scrambler too low along with the standard Scrambler models which I felt was cramped feeling. The earlier Triumph Scrambler 865 was close to the Desert Sled height for comparison.

I'd agree with the opinions that any bike needs to hit the check boxes with a majority to warrant a purchase so some of that will be up to you. I will say the one thing that "kinda sux" about the Sled in stock condition is it has a rather harsh suspension feel and a good part of that is due to the tires and kinda heavy wheels. The OEM Pirellis STR tires in those sizes just do not flex much as the sidewalls are pretty short and it's an oval shape to start with. Also the wheels have heavy duty tubes, which add to the weight. You can improve on this by doing a tubeless conversion with Outex or 3M tape and go from the stock 170/60 & 120/70 sizes to 150/70 & 110/80 sizes.

The Sled has a bit of a short fuel range, around 125-130 miles (the light is conservative, mine comes on around 120) before you hit reserve with maybe 150 or so getting very close to dry. These numbers are for California "gas" which is notorious for about 10% less mpg than real gas, so of course your mileage may vary. The tank capacity is 3.5 gal and I'm averaging mid 40s mpg, a little more in slower going and a little less on the highway. I can get closer to 50 mpg riding in the mountains or off-road.

There are some luggage solutions for the Sled along with some wind protection. So it depends on how you plan to use the bike whether it will check off the boxes suitably well for you. I don't see it as a direct competitor to true ADV bikes, but rather sort of a middle ground between a street bike and an ADV which is what Scramblers really are along with being generally much better looking than the average ADV bike.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 5'7" and had the same concerns about a 2018 DS being too tall. I was REALLY nervous because I was picking up the bike from a dealer 3 hours away without ever having sat on the bike (I got a great deal). So nervous that I actually almost backed out of the deal. Anyways I finally gave in and went to get it. It only took from the driveway of the dealership to the street to realize I was worrying for absolutely nothing! It is tall, but I haven't felt bad on it for a minute.

I actually got a Mustang seat to replace the stock seat which supposedly lowers the seat height, but the wider stance of the seat actually made it so that less of my foot could reach the ground. I ended up going back to the stock seat. Contrary to what I've read around these forums I found the Mustang to be very uncomfortable. I was so sore after a recent 5 hour ride it was ridiculous.

Anyways the TL;DR is if you're 5'7"+ the bike is going to be perfect and you will be smiling ear-to-ear.

Cheers,

FFH

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you find the DS a bit too tall or are worried about it, the normal size scramblers can handle fire roads just fine. The DS just has longer slightly better suspension and a re-enforced frame, to deal with rougher off road stuff.

The standard suspension on the normal scrambler is quite harsh but that can be upgraded for less than the price difference between a Scrambler and the Desert Sled.
The Pirelli MT-60's are also a good tyre for light off road use but mostly road. Desert Sled may well be overkill for what you are wanting to use it for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you find the DS a bit too tall or are worried about it, the normal size scramblers can handle fire roads just fine. The DS just has longer slightly better suspension and a re-enforced frame, to deal with rougher off road stuff.

The standard suspension on the normal scrambler is quite harsh but that can be upgraded for less than the price difference between a Scrambler and the Desert Sled.
The Pirelli MT-60's are also a good tyre for light off road use but mostly road. Desert Sled may well be overkill for what you are wanting to use it for.
Go for the DS it's a little more expensive but you will save a lot of money in upgrades because de desert sled have it all already. It's an awesome bike. It's a tall but you can lower it with the seat option and the fully adjustable forks and monoshock.

Enviado desde mi PAR-LX9 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
The 850 GS it´s not a BMW, it´s a Loncin (and this is a better option for buyers).
And the Desert Sled is not a real Ducati using your logic because it is made by a contract manufacturer in Thailand and not Italy. Get over yourself and stop spreading b/s that is not relevant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts