Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do something similar? What do you think? I recent road a DS and absolutely enjoyed - equal to my WRR.

I appreciated the Ducati build quality with how amazing the braking was and how smooth the bike was. I like the integrated technology in the Scrambler and the marketing and popularity with it how I can get everything I would want on it OEM, which I find better than aftermarket options on the WRR. Honestly speaking the DS would be better for the riding I mostly do on street, and especially would cruise a lot better on highways (the WRR screams), allowing me to ride to trails (most trails are about 2 hours away, a lot of it interstate to there. WRR kind of sucks for that). Last but not least, the DS is definitely better for 2UP, but I'm not considering that a main factor as most of us know how often she actually would want to ride haha

That said, I'm worried I'd be giving up some of the funniness and lightweight-ness of the WRR.

I'm torn. I only have room for one bike. Anyone do something similar? Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You mean yamaha's light enduro? If so, I can give you an answer.
I had Honda crf450x (which is not street legal here) for offroad use only. Comparing handling on light offroad, on the same tracks i can say:
In general DS handles as easy as CRF for me - bigger weight but lower center of gravity and seat. Weak points are suspension (may be it needs more adjustments) - you can ride on bumpy roads at the same speed but without smoothness at all and front wheel - on the soft sand 21 inch wheel far better then 19 inh.
And ofcourse DS more sensitive to falls - I bended gear change lever at first trail ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't own a WR, but one of my riding buddies does. It's like riding a vibrating 2x4 (lumber) wrapped in vinyl down the road. And I agree with what Florent chimed in on suspension wise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own a WR, but one of my riding buddies does. It's like riding a vibrating 2x4 (lumber) wrapped in vinyl down the road. And I agree with what Florent chimed in on suspension wise.
Woah woah woah. Shots fired! That's a little harsh :05.18-flustered:

Appreciate the replies gentlemen, but I literally was torn. Ironically I got word that my pops just picked up a xt and so of course that made it an easy decision for me. I will take my time and get the Desert Sled as a second bike haha

Thanks again all

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm about to do a write up on my adventure touring on the DS... all I can say in short is that it is a lots of fun. You can do the twisty roads at pretty good speed and once you reach the desert floor you can ride all day in the dirt, even take it off a few jumps (small'ish) if you want. I recently went out with a group consisting of BMW GS1200r and an African Twin (among others) and ran circles around them in the sand. I owned a DRZ400s when I lived in Florida and rode it up and down the beaches I remember it to be one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. I purchased the DS in hopes to relive that level of fun and it hasn't let me down. Its so surprisingly stable off road that slow tight maneuvers are a breeze and higher speed dirt roads are like pavement. To date of the eight bikes I've owned this is by far the most fun and capable bike of them all. I also put a set of SW-Motech crash bars (among other parts) which keep the cases and levers off the ground when it topples over. The DS is a Swiss-Army Knife of motorcycles and I would say it is as competent or more so than my old DRZ-400s as I would dump that thing in the sand almost daily. I think once you buy the DS you'll probably be pretty underwhelmed by the WR in time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts