Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery died (2015 full throttle), and **foolishly** I jumpstarted the bike using a car battery. The result was that one screen on the dashboard stopped working (the "total" screen - marked red square in the photo). all the other screens and the speedometer are working perfectly. any thoughts about ways to fix it?
would appreciate any help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don´t know a specific fix, hopefully someone does, but in desperation I would disconnect the battery overnight and hope it would reset itself once it gets charge again the next day.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I’m not sure why you would say ‘foolishly’. If you connected the battery with the ignition off what is the difference to connecting a bike 12v battery. It’s possible the dash was already faulty/ shorted and drained the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery was drained because I didn't use the bike for 3 weeks. the dash showed the total kilometers at first, only after the jumpstart from the car (and yes - the ignition was off), the lines you see in the photo appeared (and they are flashing). thats why I thought that what caused the problem was the jumpstart from the car. I guess I should've disconnected the battery and charge it separately from a battery charger.
I’m not sure why you would say ‘foolishly’. If you connected the battery with the ignition off what is the difference to connecting a bike 12v battery. It’s possible the dash was already faulty/ shorted and drained the battery.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The battery was drained because I didn't use the bike for 3 weeks. the dash showed the total kilometers at first, only after the jumpstart from the car (and yes - the ignition was off), the lines you see in the photo appeared (and they are flashing). thats why I thought that what caused the problem was the jumpstart from the car. I guess I should've disconnected the battery and charge it separately from a battery charger.
If your car was not running at the time then you didn’t do anything wrong, if it was running then you fired around 14.2 volts into the ECU when you switched on the bike, this can cause a spurious fault due to the spike voltage. The way we used to get round this with sensitive cars a few years ago was to switch on high load items like main beam, heater blowers etc to absorb the spike.
Maybe if you disconnect and charge the battery it might reset.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The way electricity works you either fry the entire system or you don’t. The issue you have is coincidental and is not caused by the jump starting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your car was not running at the time then you didn’t do anything wrong, if it was running then you fired around 14.2 volts into the ECU when you switched on the bike, this can cause a spurious fault due to the spike voltage. The way we used to get round this with sensitive cars a few years ago was to switch on high load items like main beam, heater blowers etc to absorb the spike.
Maybe if you disconnect and charge the battery it might reset.
will try to disconnect and hope it will reset. TNX

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good luck, and hope you'll let us know how it goes. Any of us could find ourselves in the same spot.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Has it asked you for your 4 pin code? Can you input anything with the left hand up/down control? Maybe hold the top one in for 10 seconds. Or has it zeroed your mileage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*update* in case anyone has the same problem:

I took the bike to the dealer, when they conected the bike to the computer, the mileage was shown on the computer (but not on the control panel).
They contacted Ducati, and got a temporary code to access the program and fix the problem.

Thank you all for making a new member feel welcome, what a great forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts