1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all,
This is my first post on here.
I bought a 2019 Desert Sled off of copart for $4300. After copart fees and shipping to me I'm all in about $6000.
If you don't know what copart is it's an Insurace Auction site. The bike has a salvage title and not actual milage because it was vandalized and the the wires to the ignition were cut so they couldn't verify milage. It's also gotten tagged with spray paint. Bike seems like it's pretty good other than it was filthy once it got here. Not sure if that's from lots of Desert riding or just sitting on the salvage yard lot. I'm hoping I can replace wiring the harness, clean off all the black spray paint and get this bike looking good again.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Sky Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like they tried to pry the gas tank open. When I took the tank off, I noticed it leaks from the fill port. Don't want water getting in my fuel if it gets rained on so I need to know...
Is this normal or is mine damaged?

View attachment 48459

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is awesome. Seems like a HELL of a deal considering the minor amount of work you'll need to do to it. The tank is vented beneath via breather hoses on the underside, not sure the cap is vented which makes me think your pry assumptions are correct. The cap has a rather large gasket around the inside, the screw driver or whatever possibly tore that up a bit. Have you been able to open the cap yet?

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is awesome. Seems like a HELL of a deal considering the minor amount of work you'll need to do to it. The tank is vented beneath via breather hoses on the underside, not sure the cap is vented which makes me think your pry assumptions are correct. The cap has a rather large gasket around the inside, the screw driver or whatever possibly tore that up a bit. Have you been able to open the cap yet?
I was able to open the tank. The gasket doesn't look damaged but somethings not sealing right and the fuel looks dirty, possibly got some water or dust in there so that's getting dumped and replaced.

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would change fluids ASAP if I were you, just to be sure you're starting off clean. Here's a manual if you dont have one yet. This is an older one but most of the basics are gone over in detail.
Thank you so much for sharing, that will definitely help out a lot!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you need a gas cap I may have one. I bought mine vandalized as well but it had a lot less damage than yours but I needed to replace the locks so dealer sent me a new gas cap that I installed. I have the old one but its in great condition.

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you need a gas cap I may have one. I bought mine vandalized as well but it had a lot less damage than yours but I needed to replace the locks so dealer sent me a new gas cap that I installed. I have the old one but its in great condition.
Yeah man that would be awesome... I wonder if I can swap the part with my key out. I'll pay for shipping if you're willing to ship it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah man that would be awesome... I wonder if I can swap the part with my key out. I'll pay for shipping if you're willing to ship it.

Im guessing you can, if they put it in there you can surely take it out and replace it with yours. Thats what I wouldve done but the dealership sells the entire thing when you buy the key and lock kit. Send me a DM we can chat about the details.

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What happens when you join the all up and turn the key?
I imagine it should work fine. I plan to solder all the wires together as a temporary fix until I can find a used (or affordable new) wiring harness, just haven't had the time to put in work on the bike.

·
Registered
2019 Desert Sled
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I was able to get all the Matte black spray paint off the tank and started solder the wires that match up but I've ran into an issue. There are multiples of the same color and I was only able to find wiring diagrams for a 2018 and a 2020 but not for a 2019, and wouldn't you know it, the 2019 is different. Anyone got a wiring diagram for a 2019?
Automotive design Sports equipment Helmet Hood Peripheral
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Green

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I was able to get all the Matte black spray paint off the tank and started solder the wires that match up but I've ran into an issue. There are multiples of the same color and I was only able to find wiring diagrams for a 2018 and a 2020 but not for a 2019, and wouldn't you know it, the 2019 is different. Anyone got a wiring diagram for a 2019? View attachment 49470 View attachment 49471

I got a headache just looking at that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts