Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95884BE2-A0B2-4D77-83B1-C36984E5B005.jpeg
I was think you about trying to taking the stock front guard and mounting it high up like on Jaime Robinson’s RSD custom scrambler shown above. Anyone else think this a good idea or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem is that I assuming I will have to cut the side plastic pieces and then drill holes in the middle of the mudguard to mount it. Also do you think I will need some kind of spacers or should I just mount it directly to the lower fork mount?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The only problem is that I assuming I will have to cut the side plastic pieces and then drill holes in the middle of the mudguard to mount it. Also do you think I will need some kind of spacers or should I just mount it directly to the lower fork mount?
There is threaded holes under the lower yoke but it's an odd shape so short spacers would be best, this is how the Urban Enduro and Desert Sled are done.
The easiest way would be to get a Super-Moto stumpy mud guard as they have a flat section to mount it, I fitted one to a Classic but I made an alloy plate to bolt onto the yoke and then bolted the guard to the plate. The reason for this is because the threaded holes in the yoke are slightly wider apart than normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is threaded holes under the lower yoke but it's an odd shape so short spacers would be best, this is how the Urban Enduro and Desert Sled are done.
The easiest way would be to get a Super-Moto stumpy mud gaurd
Does it come in red?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This one already has holes predrilled (not sure if it is the correct spacing) and is cheap enough that I would paint it myself but is made for a Harley. Let me know if you guys think this one would work.
Motorcycle Short Front Fender Mudguard Metal For Harley Forty Eight 48 2010-2017 | eBay
No, not out of the box. The chances of the holes lining up are slim to none, If my memory's correct then I'll say Ducati use three holes rather than four. Nothing's impossible and you could do as I did and fabricate an adaptor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size spacer should I use between the lower yoke and the gender should I use if I just drill the hole myself?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What size spacer should I use between the lower yoke and the gender should I use if I just drill the hole myself?
I went out and had a wee look, without stripping stuff off I can tell my memory has taken a nose dive, there are indeed four 6mm bolts (not three) which are closely grouped with the foremost two much wider apart than the rearmost ones. They have spacers roughly 1/2" long to avoid the awkward shape under the yoke.
If you are going to use a curved mud-guard then you could use spacers that are flat to the yoke and slanted to suit the topside of the fender, you would also need slanted washers on the underside to allow the bolts to sit square.
To do this you can cut the tube for the 1/2" spacer at the angle to suit the fender and use the same angled tube as the bolt washer. -)-

Or, make a flat plate with spacers to bolt onto the yolk's four threaded holes and then mount the fender to the plate. That way you might be OK with two bolts dead centre though the fender. This would avoid fancy slanted spacers.

If you zoom into Jamie's bike it looks like he's went with the second option.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went out and had a wee look, without stripping stuff off I can tell my memory has taken a nose dive, there are indeed four 6mm bolts (not three) which are closely grouped with the foremost two much wider apart than the rearmost ones. They have spacers roughly 1/2" long to avoid the awkward shape under the yoke.
If you are going to use a curved mud-guard then you could use spacers that are flat to the yoke and slanted to suit the topside of the fender, you would also need slanted washers on the underside to allow the bolts to sit square.
To do this you can cut the tube for the 1/2" spacer at the angle to suit the fender and use the same angled tube as the bolt washer. -)-

Or, make a flat plate with spacers to bolt onto the yolk's four threaded holes and then mount the fender to the plate. That way you might be OK with two bolts dead centre though the fender. This would avoid fancy slanted spacers.

If you zoom into Jamie's bike it looks like he's went with the second option.
Well sounds like a nice project to post a thread on. I will take photos once the process begins and post them. Wish me luck guys.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So yours is actually mounted to the forks then using those brackets. Did you have to fabricate the plate and brackets or did you buy as a kit from somewhere?
The plate comes with stock. I mounted the mudguard to the forks with a steel cable. The brackets keep it from sliding down. I`m looking for a black bracket to replace it so this is kind of temporary. The setup is very solid and I like how it changed the overall profile of the bike. But Actual mudguarding performance is dubious. :) Riding in the rain, the front tire does throw some water.

another option would be to loop the cable through the holes in the mudguard over the triple clamp. Then you wouldn`t need the plate or the brackets.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The plate comes with stock. I mounted the mudguard to the forks with a steel cable. The brackets keep it from sliding down. I`m looking for a black bracket to replace it so this is kind of temporary. The setup is very solid and I like how it changed the overall profile of the bike. But Actual mudguarding performance is dubious. :) Riding in the rain, the front tire does throw some water.

another option would be to loop the cable through the holes in the mudguard over the triple clamp. Then you wouldn`t need the plate or the brackets.
I'm glad you've said it's 'kind of temporary'
I had to hold back the 1st time I saw it a few weeks ago but now I've gotta say it a long time since I saw anything this rough on a bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm glad you've said it's 'kind of temporary'
I had to hold back the 1st time I saw it a few weeks ago but now I've gotta say it a long time since I saw anything this rough on a bike.
Yeah I know it looks rough :) I'm just testing how stable it would be.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I see the cable now that you mentioned it and I’m not too worried about rain to be honest because it rains less than 10 Times a year where I live and I don’t ride when it does.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I see the cable now that you mentioned it and I’m not too worried about rain to be honest because it rains less than 10 Times a year where I live and I don’t ride when it does.
It only rains twice here in Scotland, pretty constant with a short break around mid july for a couple of days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts