Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older set of Tourmaster Select Saddlebags that I previously used on another bike. They are a bit faded, but in good working condition. They are well suited to my needs for commuting with easy (fast) opening main compartment and plenty of space. I tried them on the Scrambler, but they kept sagging in toward the rear wheel. That would get ugly pretty fast. So I looked up under the rear part of the seat and noticed 2 unused welded nuts. I bent a piece of aluminum ($4 at Home Depot) and drilled some holes and created a brace. I couldn't be happier with the results. This isn't a permanent solution as I would like some hard cases eventually, but haven't yet found any that I like. I think the profile and size of these bags is perfect for the Scrambler. What do you think?

These are the unused nuts on the Icon.
Bag 1.JPG

This is the Aluminum strip after bends and holes added.
Bag 2.JPG

Holding it in position
Bag 3.jpg

A little paint
Bag 4.JPG

Side Profile after mounting
Bag 5.JPG

Mounting points
Bag 6.JPG

Finished look
Bag 7.JPG

Bag 8.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like your solution and think it looks great. I'd like to find something like this but with a frame that is easily removable. Will have to look at this a little closer. I don't always need to be carrying things with me that won't fit in a pocket, and right now I've just got two small bungees looped from each frame member and over the back seat to hold down a backpack. Not perfect, but OK as a quick fix.

You know what I don't see in this picture? The evaporative emissions canister, like on my Icon. The Florida tag implies it's a US spec bike. Wonder why my VA bike has a CA evap can?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine actually has the evap can also. Just not visible in these pics. I plan to pull it off shortly. I'm also getting the tank and fenders wrapped in gloss white next week. I have the black tank panels to put on after the wrap. It should look like my avatar in short order :).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I love to see the home brew solutions, thanks for passing this along.

Sarah

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Think I'll just use my Kreiga US20 and US10 bags when I do trips. I can use them on the Panigale too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The bosses in the seat rail take 8M-1.25, the bosses in the back of the passenger peg brackets take 6M-1.0. Hope to see more ideas for DIY luggage stand-offs.

Sarah

Edit: I was referring to the threaded bosses along the seat rail that have the plastic plugs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the same bags I used on my old DRZ 400S.

I like what you've done, Scowa. They look nice on the bike and following your example will try something similar with mine.

How are the bags held in place?

Thanks!
Cliff

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like your solution and think it looks great. I'd like to find something like this but with a frame that is easily removable. Will have to look at this a little closer. I don't always need to be carrying things with me that won't fit in a pocket, and right now I've just got two small bungees looped from each frame member and over the back seat to hold down a backpack. Not perfect, but OK as a quick fix.

You know what I don't see in this picture? The evaporative emissions canister, like on my Icon. The Florida tag implies it's a US spec bike. Wonder why my VA bike has a CA evap can?
All US bikes have the silly evap cans, although California is the only state where they are actually required.

Feel free to rip the ugly bugger off!

There are a number of "how-to's" on this forum.

It's been said your bike will even run better without it.

Cliff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts