Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I decided to cut down the FT handlebars I had installed on my Icon as they were way too wide.
I cut 15mm off each end and I'm very happy with the feel. However, by cutting off 15mm it's not left enough room inside the handlebars to put my bar end mirrors in correctly.
The internal diametre of the handlebars narrows significantly meaning the bar end mirror installation sleeves wouldn't go in far enough. I cut them down which has allowed me to attach my mirrors but the sleeves aren't working great so the mirrors keep on coming loose.

I'm looking for some different bar end mirrors that have a different installation sleeve/ method of attaching to the handlebars.
I'll post a pic of the type I've already got.
Screenshot_20180823-075830.jpg
Screenshot_20180823-075819.jpg

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I really don't want to do that as it's obviously narrowed to create structural integrity.
The internal diameter should / usually be parallel so if the fitting goes in at the start then it should go completely in.
I have a selection of small size concrete rawl bolts and try to always use these (I have a few bikes) instead if the ones you show and definately don’t use the expabding rubber type.

If you decide to try the concrete rawl bolts then look for the type that take your own cap-screw (Allen bolt) opposed to the type with a stud and nut.
I can say, with these when they tighten it’s a very possitive stop on the spanner and lock solid. Whereas the supplied shyte always feel spongy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The internal diameter should / usually be parallel so if the fitting goes in at the start then it should go completely in.
I have a selection of small size concrete rawl bolts and try to always use these (I have a few bikes) instead if the ones you show and definately don’t use the expabding rubber type.

If you decide to try the concrete rawl bolts then look for the type that take your own cap-screw (Allen bolt) opposed to the type with a stud and nut.
I can say, with these when they tighten it’s a very possitive stop on the spanner and lock solid. Whereas the supplied shyte always feel spongy.

When I look inside the handlebar, around 35mm, the internal diametre decreases by around 40% due to the wall thickness increasing.
So the sleeves were hitting the beginning of the thicker wall material.

I'll go look at concrete rawl bolts. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts