Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2018 desert sled, bought it new in MIA, and shipped it to the Caribbean where I live. That's right, no dealership on the island, am on my own.

4,500 miles into it, all going great until one fine day I start the bike, and notice the dashboard was blank. To add to the oddity, the low fuel indicator light, which normally comes on, and stays on, was blinking. Very odd. Bike had plenty of gas too. Once I stopped it, I could not even start it again.I could just hear the normal buzzing sound the dashboard does when it is keyed on, but no visuals, and alas, no starting.

I fiddled with the fuses. All fine, but because electricity was interrupted, something must have been re-set, and I got it to start. For a brief moment there was a flashing "SW 50" in the dashboard, which had never come on. Bike runs fine, dashboard works fine. But now everytime I stop the bike, I cannot get it to start unless I disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Any ideas of what may be going on? A seasoned mechanic with Ducati experience on the island believes it to be a key issue. But without a Ducati scanner, he cannot pin point the issue.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Jnovas. I am by no stretch a motor engineer but I used to be in electronics. My guess is that the number you see on start up is a firmware number on reboot of your ECU. I also think that it is not a key fault, a key fault would be handled properly and there is a PIN over-ride....Did you put a PIN in? My guess is a memory fault. Next time you start up look at the trip counters and PIN, see if they are remembered or wiped between reboots. If it is an ecu fault then I am afraid you are going to have to replace it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply OldMan. I think you are right, it is not a key issue as I was not required the PIN to override. When I get it sorted, I'll share,
Hopefully it is not the ECU unit!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any water damage on the dash? Mine had water damage and some functionality was lost. It also says SW-50 when I plug the dash back in.

It is pretty easy to remove the dash and disassemble it to check for damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for late reply; yes faulty dashboard, same had to be replaced. Tech opened it up and found moisture. Did the work in the Ducati Santo Domingo dealership as there is no dealer in Puerto Rico. Rode the ferrry there and back, turned out to be an adventure of sorts.....................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts