Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got kitted out for my Sunday run on a chilly (6C) morning here on my new sled. It has just over 2000 km on it now so nearly run in.Ignition on, all seems ok and does its normal boot up thing and the fuel pump runs. Press starter and nothing, nada. No error message and no attempt at cranking and no solenoid click. Very surprised I did a double take. Kick stand was up, neutral light was on but it was as if I wasn't pressing the start button at all. So helmet and gloves off I got into the menu and looked at the indicated battery voltage which was 12.4. Now I have never seen an at rest indication of more than 12.5 on this bike so given the temperature that seemed ok ish. So I took,the seat off intending to use a meter to look at the battery voltage directly as I pressed the starter but before I did the bike started with no hesitation at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like a Problem from the immobilizer. I'm not sure if there is an error Code for this , but the ECU has to detect the correct id from the key before the starter works.
I assume that you needed the key for the seat to remove and you replugged later for the second attempt.
Is this the only key with a immobilizer chip on your keychain?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there was only one key. I don't know how an immobilized bike displays on the LCD but I have put in a PIN and I certainly wasn't asked for that. Also the start up sequence was fine it just refused to crank at all just as if I had not pressed the starter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes there was only one key. I don't know how an immobilized bike displays on the LCD but I have put in a PIN and I certainly wasn't asked for that. Also the start up sequence was fine it just refused to crank at all just as if I had not pressed the starter.
I had the same issue you describe. There's a lot of info online suggesting battery cells, started solenoids or the right switchgear.

I changed the solenoid hoping it was that because it's a relatively easy replacement but it wasn't. Ducati kindly took the bike and replaced the switchgear (my first suspect) as an out of warranty goodwill effort for which I'm super grateful.

I'd probably suggest starting there, if you don't mind lifting your tank it may be a easy enough swap. I believe the switchgear is around $50/£40

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for this. Just to be clear you are talking of the kill/on/off switch including cable up to where it plugs into the loom or the key switch as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts