Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy a new scrambler any advice on good dealers appreciated i know deals will be in short supply but am looking for decent p/ex for my street triple
i am not bothered about travelling for the right deal iam based in county Durham
any advice greatley appreciated cheers Andy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just go in and talk to them. Ask to see the workshop etc. if it feels right then give them the opertunity to have you as a loyal customer.

·
Registered
788 Posts
From my experience. Avoid Ducati Manchester. *The sales team are approachable and friendly but seemed utterly incompetent when it comes to paperwork and the finer details.
Their service department is also really very slow. It took 4 hours for them to complete my first service *after I was told on at booking and arrival it would be around 90-120 minutes.

I had a positive experience with Italia Moto, the Ducati dealer in Lincoln, when dealing with a warped disc warranty claim.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cannot believe it have sent requests to two ducati dealers and not even had a reply are these people not intrested in selling bikes

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
From my experience. Avoid Ducati Manchester. Sergio, their main sales guy is approachable and friendly but utterly incompetent when it comes to paperwork and the finer details.
Their service department is also really REALLY slow. It took 4 hours for them to complete my first service.

I had a positive experience with Italia Moto, the Ducati dealer in Lincoln, when dealing with a warped disc warranty claim.
There's two sides to every story and I'm going to give the other side.

I have found in ALL my dealings with Ducati Manchester that they're knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. If they have cocked up I've given them the opportunity to correct it. And they have! That to me is a good indicator of good customer service.

A bike service is always going to take time. First of all the bike/engine has to cool down before they can work on it. That could take an hour or more. Then they have to do the work and that could be 2/2.5 hours- so all of a sudden there's your four hours. That applies to all brands not just Ducati.

And finally Sergio is "a salesman" not the "main sales guy" as you've called him. If he has any faults it is that he tries to please lots of people at the same time and spreads himself thinly so things could go by the wayside on the odd occasion. Martin is the general manager and head of sales.

Everybody has good days and bad days. I know I do. I expect you do too.

Ps There's a reason why they are this years Ducati overall dealer of the year. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can't understand why someone anonymously posting on a public forum names and criticises an employee of a company. What does it achieve?

The employee mentioned above has no right of reply and even if he finds this post would find it difficult to put is point of view across without making matters worse.

More of this and I think it's goodbye to the forum for me.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I can't understand why someone anonymously posting on a public forum names and criticises an employee of a company. What does it achieve?

The employee mentioned above has no right of reply and even if he finds this post would find it difficult to put is point of view across without making matters worse.

More of this and I think it's goodbye to the forum for me.
I agree completely. If you have an issue with someone then at least give them the opportunity to put it right. If they continue to cock up then by all means have a go at them .

To do it from behind a keyboard is, at best, childish IMHO.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Cannot believe it have sent requests to two ducati dealers and not even had a reply are these people not intrested in selling bikes
They probably haven't got one to sell. These bikes have been flying out the doors!
Give Tony at SMC Sheffield and tell him Carole suggested you call him. Good luck

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree completely. If you have an issue with someone then at least give them the opportunity to put it right. If they continue to cock up then by all means have a go at them .

To do it from behind a keyboard is, at best, childish IMHO.
Ok, I will admit I was wrong to name names. It was a mistake. I've edited my previous post.

However, I understand plenty of people may have had good experiences but mine was not even close.
The dealer either tried to rip me off or showed a level of incompetency I cannot tolerate.

Long story as short as I can:

I traded in my previous bike, for which they agreed to clear the remaining finance. Simple.

No... 3 weeks after they took possession of my old bike and I took the new one, a payment for the old one went out of my account.

This was very quickly brought to their attention as clearly, paying for a bike I no longer owned was not an exciting prospect.

The salesman then advised the day after I collected my new bike that there had been an issue with the paperwork and he had not managed to clear the finance. He expressed 'oh I meant to let you know'

That was what I was told 3 weeks after problem and also after I'd spent hours milling around the showroom and speaking with him while having my first service done... That might have been an opportune time to mention it.

Instead, I found out via a large unexpected payment leaving my bank account. Also, selling the bike still under finance broke my contract and left me open to serious penalties, not pleasant!

This would all have been fine, had the dealer accepted their mistake and promptly sorted the problem for me. Mistakes happen, people are busy. Things get forgotten...

What caused me to completely lose my patience and sour my feeling toward the whole dealership was the protracted back and forth argument that followed as I tried to get my money back and/or the bike paid off. The salesman accused the finance company of providing incorrect information, failed to call back after promising to do so, almost every time.
When the dealer finally paid off the remaining finance, they did so MINUS the months extra payment I ended up paying. Leaving me out of pocket.

This struck me as an attempt to knock a chunk off the balance they had to pay, as the monthly payments for the new and old bike were virtually identical and to the same finance company.

Eventually after a full two weeks of needless back and forth, they agreed to send a cheque for the difference. Then just to add icing to the cake, the cheque was for the wrong amount... Only after yet another contact, informing them of their mistake did I get the full amount back again.

I understand people make mistakes but the way in which the issue was dealt with was ultimately upsetting and I felt totally unvalued as a new customer.

Just to top it off... My Scrambler experience membership card thingy, was registered with several spelling mistakes.
A minor but ironic detail, considering the included letter spoke of the superior Scrambler customer experience.

I understand several forum members may have a long and happy relationship with Manchester Ducati but this has been my introduction to them and I can only judge from what I've seen.

I gave them several chances to redeem themselves throughout but they let me down after every contact with them and left me with zero faith in their customer service skills.
Perhaps if I had gone in to buy a new Panigale or Diavel, I may have been treated differently. Crass, I know but that's how it feels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say M&S motorcycles in Newcastle were excellent.Thy delivered my yellow icon on Tuesday, the service and comms were spot on, they gave me a fair price for my Z1000sx and managed to get me my Scrambler much sooner than aticipated. Ordered the end of June and delivered at beginning of August. I would definitely recommend them .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that Buddy i did my test ride there but they wouldn,t give me a valuation on my p/ex they just wanted a £200 deposit and told me there was a 6 month wait,
Ihave sent 3 requests to other dealers in leeds manchester and even winchester and non of them have had the decency to even reply
Looks like i might just have pay my deposit and join the waiting list

·
Registered
733 Posts
Or you could buy from one of the dealers selling on eBay who have them in stock.

There is all models available there

I can recommend Hyside - bought my Multistrada DVT from them and my scrambler will be delivered soon (they have it - just waiting on 65 plate)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I got my bike from Woods Abergele and have only had good experience with them. There were a few Scramblers in the showroom when I visited recently, don't know if they are all sold .... Also it's a nice ride out to North Wales and you can return via the mountains :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
As littleowl says Woods are good to deal with, I personally bought my first and second monsters from Andrew Wood, I then started to buy from Ducati Manchester and so far had two monsters, a hyper motard and a 1098S Streetfighter all of which have been in perfect condition when collected and the service has been first class why I'm even awaiting my FT scrambler at the moment.

My relationship with the dealer ship has grown over the last eight years so much so that I drive their van part time as I've been retired for almost twenty years. So as I say it's the best hobby a guy could have and before anyone thinks I'm biased I also drove Woods van to Misano for WDW2007 and had a wonderful time.

I see both sides of the purchasing process and realise that not every one is happy but I know that the staff do their best to satisfy every one and I think that if you have a problem you sort it out in person, but I'm an old fart and do it the old fashioned way.

Geoff.

·
Registered
146 Posts
H
As littleowl says Woods are good to deal with, I personally bought my first and second monsters from Andrew Wood, I then started to buy from Ducati Manchester and so far had two monsters, a hyper motard and a 1098S Streetfighter all of which have been in perfect condition when collected and the service has been first class why I'm even awaiting my FT scrambler at the moment.

My relationship with the dealer ship has grown over the last eight years so much so that I drive their van part time as I've been retired for almost twenty years. So as I say it's the best hobby a guy could have and before anyone thinks I'm biased I also drove Woods van to Misano for WDW2007 and had a wonderful time.

I see both sides of the purchasing process and realise that not every one is happy but I know that the staff do their best to satisfy every one and I think that if you have a problem you sort it out in person, but I'm an old fart and do it the old fashioned way.

Geoff.
hi Geoff thanks for delivering my Scrambler back in May. It's a small world isn't it. You are a great ambassador for DM.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for your kind remarks, I'm just looking in my log book of deliveries and if the bike was delivered on Friday 22nd I now know who you are.

From what I read I can see that you're really enjoying your scrambler and that mods are in progress which I approve of, I'm waiting for my FT to come and have a shed full of stuff to install on its arrival and no I won't publish the cost as I don't want to scare myself or put off any other potential modder.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for your kind remarks, I'm just looking in my log book of deliveries and if the bike was delivered on Friday 22nd I now know who you are.

From what I read I can see that you're really enjoying your scrambler and that mods are in progress which I approve of, I'm waiting for my FT to come and have a shed full of stuff to install on its arrival and no I won't publish the cost as I don't want to scare myself or put off any other potential modder.
Yes Geoff it was 22 May. Made the scrambler 10% British by adding Maxton suspension nothing more than it deserves. Think it's just the right bike for me now it's set up to suite my poor riding style.

Enjoy your new FT when it arrives, it's getting the dead flies of your front teeth because of the grinning that is the only downer of owning a scrambler. Many happy miles. Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts