Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from my dealer, my yellow Icon just hit the loading dock. Now I'm in a dither getting everything arranged to pick it up. It may be late in the week before I can make it happen. Excitement!
The dealer is Coleman Power Sports in Falls Church, VA. The salesman said they had delivered only one other Scrambler so far.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mercy, I'd be in a dither, too. Hurry up with the arrangements, we want to hear all about the bike. Congratulations!

Sarah

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've arranged for Friday morning pickup and will be taking the day off. Haven't sold the Bonnie yet and may end up with two bikes during the overlap. That'll be a first for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck with your Icon. I'm from the Fairfax\Falls Church\Annandale area myself. Looking forward to picking up a Classic.
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Florida now (since 1983)
Sold my '03 Monster 800 years ago and been on a Harley since
Time to get back on a Duc but it won't be until I sell this one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a call from my dealer, my yellow Icon just hit the loading dock. Now I'm in a dither getting everything arranged to pick it up. It may be late in the week before I can make it happen. Excitement!
The dealer is Coleman Power Sports in Falls Church, VA. The salesman said they had delivered only one other Scrambler so far.
Maybe, but it sounds like mine.:rolleyes:
Mine is NOT!

Where is my Bike mr. Ducati????
Waiting in Nor Cal,,,,,,,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woo-Hoo! I got it home yesterday! Picked it up early afternoon and took care of the usual legal junk - tag transfer and insurance. If today gets warm enough and stays dry enough, I hope to get back out for more riding.

First impressions:
It feels taller and more 'dirt bikey' than what I have become accustomed to riding. Seating felt a little higher and the foot pegs more forward, though I became used to it very quickly. I had a little trouble with the shifter, finding a false neutral once between 4th and 5th, and a bit of a struggle downshifting into 1st a few times. This might just be new bike nonsense and I expect it to get better with use and also with my experience with this particular shifter. The clutch feels great, both in force required and ease of engagement. Front brake also feels great, but I felt I had to stand on the rear brake. It was a little alarming at first and hope it is just new brake wear-in that needs to happen.

It feels very neutral and very friendly in turns, just rolling happily into and out of a turn with no drama or trepidation. This greatly increased my confidence in the bike right away. Another thing I felt great about was the weight - it is a real 100 lbs lighter than the Bonneville I've been riding. This also contributed to the 'dirt bike' feel that it gave me. Way back in a different lifetime I did a lot of Honda 4 stroke dirt biking, and the feel of this bike reminded me very much of that.

The seat is narrow in the front, the bars feel a little high, and the mirrors are wonky shaped, new personality features I'll become used to.

As others have mentioned, the throttle is touchy off of idle, making very low speed crawling tricky at times. I found myself feathering the clutch a lot to compensate. Also, the grips feel really small to me, too small. The first thing I will do is slip some grab-ons over the stock grips. This may also mitigate the touchy throttle.

The engine sounds great, feels great, and is eager to rev. It does some burbling and cussing when you back off the throttle for engine braking, which was unexpected but not unenjoyable. I'm going to be easy on it during the break-in period, but it really feels eager to dance. It will be a struggle to maintain decorum.

It will take me some time for me to get accustomed to the new single gauge digital display. There are almost 70 pages in the owners manual devoted to the menus and functions, something I will have to read over a few espressos. I'm mostly an old-school analog dial kind of guy.

There is a strange appendage hanging low off the frame on the left side just ahead of the engine. It looks a lot like an evaporative emissions canister, and it also looks very much like an afterthought. Page 34 in the manual illustrates the 'California Evaporative Emissions System', and I think that is what this is. I wonder if all US spec bikes have this thing?

After re-reading this post I see that it sounds like a lot of complaining, but it isn't. I'm quite excited by the way it feels and sounds, and I expect to get used to the new quirks very quickly. This thing is a real hoot to ride and it is calling to me right now.

I'll try to post some pictures of it next to the Bonneville for size and geometry comparison. Two of the pictures show the evaporative emissions canister and the 'Thailand' sticker.

Buying this bike was a great decision!

IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The timing worked out well. I just got an interested buyer for the Bonneville and will be finalizing the sale this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Triumph has a bigger tank. Maybe that's where the extra weight is :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Triumph engine has a huge crankcase and transmission. And the tank does look bigger, doesn't it? I had to look it up - Scrambler tank is 3.56 gallons, Bonneville is 4.4 gallons. Looks like I'll be stopping more often. Crankcase oil - Scrambler 0.9 gallons, Bonneville 1.0. Not sure what the differences are when it comes to cast iron / aluminum / steel content of both.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Great write up and pictures Tim ,:cool: Thanks a lot ,

Those decals argh , what a mess, think I'd be taking those off, and that canister on the left:rolleyes: pity they couldn't have put a little cover around it all :(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Great write up and pictures Tim ,:cool: Thanks a lot ,

Those decals argh , what a mess, think I'd be taking those off, and that canister on the left:rolleyes: pity they couldn't have put a little cover around it all :(
There's no reason why they couldn't use the box/tube of the swing arm for evap filters etc,. Buel used the frame and swingarm for oil and fuel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts