Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago when I was riding around Tail of the Dragon and Deal's Gap there was a robust Grom and Ruckus rally. Folks came over from all over, some riding those tiny and underpowered bikes cross-country. It was also where I met one of other regular Scrambler forum members who was riding with the Groms.

To be frank, it was a lot of fun and that whole area is very bike friendly as well as the roads themselves are a joy to buzz around on. So I figured that perhaps a Scrambler rally may be interesting to some, at least those of us in North America. And if the interest gets big enough we could reach out to Ducati North America perhaps for a formal partnership or participation.

If this is interesting to you, post below, and also post times when and if this would work, Typically rallies last from 3 to 7 days, so perhaps a Labor Day long weekend may be a good date to consider. Anyhow, post away!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Time my friend, time.

And besides, there is so much to see/ride closer to home. We got the Santa Monica Mountains (Mulholland, The Snake) and Angeles Crest around the corner.

But of course, have lots fun!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Time my friend, time.

And besides, there is so much to see/ride closer to home. We got the Santa Monica Mountains (Mulholland, The Snake) and Angeles Crest around the corner.

But of course, have lots fun!
Time, indeed. Next year it can be held on the West Coast as to be honest I have wanted to ride out there anyway. And again, if there is interest of course. We are generally not BMW GS riders with lots of time or ability to do the cross country treks.

Still, it can be fun. And yep, I am totally internet shaming you for not wanting to come out :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'd try to make it. A Bonneville gathering in that area several years ago was a blast.

Sarah

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would try to make it too.

And I have some contacts at Ducati NA, so even if I can't personally come if something gets put together I can put a word in to the mothership.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great! I just threw out Labor Day as a nominal date. What date works better, or is that a good date to consider?

·
Registered
57 Posts
anyone ever put together an event like this? It's different than getting some friends committing to going someplace cool. Your going to need to get the word out, Online, print (moto rags) dealership network, flyers, a cheap press packet (even a cheap press packet cost $). Your going to need someone doing dedicated social media. Unless you do it small, more of just some semi local friends committing to doing a weekend. I'm down in SWFL so I would probably drag my travel trailer and put the bike in the bed of my truck. With it being so late in the year, you should organize this for next year if you want to have Ducati involved. The wheels and cogs turn slowly for getting something like this up and off the ground. Find a team of like minded crazies who can donate their time You can come up with some flyers, most of us bought our bikes at Ducati dealers, have a local member ride over and leave some flyers at the dealers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Grom/Ruckus/Z125 event was the 3rd annual. The count at the rally (with people coming and going the whole time) was around 500 bikes. They had 7 or 8 dealers/vendors. Raffled off 3 different motorcycles. Kawasaki USA showed up with 10 Z125's people could sign up to test ride in a group ride every half hour. It may be wise to not limit the event to Scramblers. The Grom thing was "The Smoky Mountain Crawl" with the emphasis being small bore motorcycles and scooters. They cast a pretty wide net in a niche market and had a pretty good turnout. A lot of the people that went this year no longer had small bore bikes but still returned for the fun of the event. There was a Rally/Meet up friday from noon-6pm with food, music, vendors, raffle, prizers for best bike (etc). On Saturday they all met up again at 10am and went for a group ride down the Dragon. The rest of the time was your own to try out the other roads, explore the little town, etc...

·
Registered
149 Posts
An All Ducati event or A retro bike event might be a better idea. I still have not seen another Scrambler on the road since i bought mine in November in the Capitol city of my state.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Give other date options if a holiday weekend is a bad idea.

anyone ever put together an event like this? It's different than getting some friends committing to going someplace cool. Your going to need to get the word out, Online, print (moto rags) dealership network, flyers, a cheap press packet (even a cheap press packet cost $). Your going to need someone doing dedicated social media. Unless you do it small, more of just some semi local friends committing to doing a weekend. I'm down in SWFL so I would probably drag my travel trailer and put the bike in the bed of my truck. With it being so late in the year, you should organize this for next year if you want to have Ducati involved. The wheels and cogs turn slowly for getting something like this up and off the ground. Find a team of like minded crazies who can donate their time You can come up with some flyers, most of us bought our bikes at Ducati dealers, have a local member ride over and leave some flyers at the dealers.
I agree with you in spirit. Still, I would rather just DO an event and then have it grow in popularity rather than create a big event with loads of planning especially when there is no guarantee many would come. Doing a 'test' event that can be expanded going forward seems more risky.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
All depends on the scale you're working at.

Organizing a 30 rider "wipe your own arse" camping weekend is easy.

A fully managed 200 rider weekend incl breakfast, lunch, bbq, raffle, gps routes, cabins, live music however....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts