Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Desert Sled accessories - Crash Bars and Side bags

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ADHDiy Guy 
#1 ·
Hi all,
we just bought DS to our fleet in CanaryRide.com, so this bike will be for rent, and I am now doing my research regarding accessories.

What would you recommend for crash protection? I see there is OEM, SWMotech, Hepco~Becker. Something else? I see nice handguards from EvoTech.
What brand you would recommend for side bags (soft). OEM, SwMotech, something else available?

We might have to add top box (personally I don't like it), but customers require it. I see somebody got OEM rack for it? I am curious if somebody is running topbox on this bike.

I ordered the original low seat so far.

Anyway great looking bike I have to say

!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Helmet Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
I can recommend AGAINST the Urban Enduro Waterproof Side Bags. The seams/corners wear through quickly with regular use. Everything else you mention sound like solid options. As far as I know none of the crash bars or frame sliders protect against the lower tip area of the exhaust making contact with the ground if the bike falls to the right side. I'd be happy if someone knows of something that does protect against that though.

What do your customers require the top box for that panniers cannot satisfy? I have 72 liters of pannier space on mine, though it may look silly.

#4 · (Edited)
I can strongly endorse my SW Motech Blaze bags. Low profile when collapsed, extra capacity if expanded. Waterproof liners work. Easy to remove (a) just the liners (if not full) or (b) the whole bag set. Removable braces keep bags securely positioned... no flopping around. If you hire out the bike without bags & braces, it looks stock. The bags actually compliment the bike's lines. For casual security, I use small Macpac Com locks, but my trips are usually remote.

My rear rack is from Rideabikes.com.
Bit difficult to fit, but otherwise good. Compliments the bike lines, and very functional.

I could suggest a KTM Powerparts 10-30L tail bag. Probably won't pass your security needs, & may not be "rental durable", but fits a helmet. For easy on/off, I reinforced the floor, then fitted an SW Motech Evo Tank Ring coupling. Typically, the main zipper is giving out after a few years of (my) regular use. When the bag is 'collapsed', the bike's lines are not awful... unlike a hard top case. Bag definitely looks better on the KTM vs the Ducati.

No crash bars, but I do use axle sliders / rear bobbins / bark busters. And Rideabike's Case Savers. For me, the case savers are light weight, discrete, and sacrificial: A mild crash might scrape/break the case savers ... but I still get home with a working engine. While I definitely recommend them to an Owner, they may not be 'enough' for Rental.

Cost was not a major consideration in my selections.
Pictured in central AUS below, during a mostly dirt trip from QLD then up over the top. Bike & bags did it easy, & continue to do so: 30,000+km on the bike, 10k+ on the bags. The Wolfman doubled ended waterproof roll on the back is sitting atop an empty khaki fuel bladder. Those khaki ones lasted just this one trip (40C+ heat).

Anyway... nice buy! You've given me a new destination to travel to .. if CV ever ends!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

#6 ·
Thanks! And you'll get lots of compliments for your bike!

Just noticed the Recommended Reading (below) "SW-Motech SysBag Setup" has good photos of BLAZE setup.
And the empty brackets are not nearly as noticeable as in one of the photos.
One last thing... conventional wisdom says hand guards attaching to mirror/brake brackets (eg EvoTech) are 'riskier' for the bike than those that attach to the handlebar itself (eg BarkBusters). Others say the ones attaching to Forks are better again... but I don't see many Enduro / MXers running that 3rd option. MXers seem to avoid BBs due to risk of personal injury.
That said, I am a fan of EvoTech and used their stuff on a couple of bikes including this DS: axles sliders etc & the oil cooler guard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.