Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip up the WA BDR and a bunch of Canadian FS roads from Seattle to Banff National Park. Bike did great! Kept up with a couple of KTM 690s and a 1090 Adventure R for most of the riding we did. Super happy with it.

Unfortunately, at some point on the trip, a round rim became a less round one. Does anyone have suggestions for fixing, or better yet - upgrades? I had planned to go with narrower and taller tires after the trip, but would even consider something like Earle Motors extenders & a 19" and 21" re-lace. Just not sure where near Seattle to get that done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dang, I wish I could see said taco.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if that was a funny, or the images aren't showing up...

Talked to a few companies, none of them local:

Woody's wheel works will relace for $450-600 depending on the rim chosen.
Dubya Wheels will do both for $950 with Excel Takasago rims - I think in either OEM sizes or the 19"/21" route.
Buchanan spokes hasn't gotten back with a price yet.

It seems as though no one has a 21" rim with the tubeless safety bead. So going 21 would mean continuing to run tubes.

Does anyone know of a Washington/Oregon based company that does good work on motorbike wheels?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I mean, I always try to be funny, but in this case I see 2 pictures of normal wheels and then a placeholder for a third pocture that doesn't come up on computer or mobile.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just got back from a trip up the WA BDR and a bunch of Canadian FS roads from Seattle to Banff National Park. Bike did great! Kept up with a couple of KTM 690s and a 1090 Adventure R for most of the riding we did. Super happy with it.

Unfortunately, at some point on the trip, a round rim became a less round one. Does anyone have suggestions for fixing, or better yet - upgrades? I had planned to go with narrower and taller tires after the trip, but would even consider something like Earle Motors extenders & a 19" and 21" re-lace. Just not sure where near Seattle to get that done.

Thanks!

I spoke with Woody's Wheel Works in Denver CO today about some wheel work. I'm looking at having my hubs laced to narrower standard width rims, 2.5" front and 4.25" rear and having them do the Outex tubeless tape job. They quoted me $700/wheel to lace my hubs to the Excel rims (choice of color gold, silver, black) with SS spokes and do the tape job for tubeless.

I really want to reduce the weight of the wheels on the Sled, they are far too heavy.

I plan to run 110/80-19 front and 150/70-17 tires. I know you can mount those sizes on the stock rims also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm still debating what to do. Do I rebuild them in the stock size or go the Earle route and get 18/21" rims. Either way, definitely could lose some weight and use a stronger rim. The dent above was running the OEM tires at 28psi on the trail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if you are aware, but there is no photo of said taco rim. Only two of the three photos loaded and the last one just says

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not sure if you are aware, but there is no photo of said taco rim. Only two of the three photos loaded and the last one just says

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, I'm still debating what to do. Do I rebuild them in the stock size or go the Earle route and get 18/21" rims. Either way, definitely could lose some weight and use a stronger rim. The dent above was running the OEM tires at 28psi on the trail.
Well your experience is one more reason why I should probably opt to have my wheels relaced with Excel rims & SS spokes, then tape them for tubeless. I'm on the fence about just taping my stock rims can calling it a day. But I'd like to go narrower and stronger is always better.

I am planning to use my bike in a similar fashion as you did on the WABDR.

I thought about the 18/21 deal but but it requires swing arm extenders and I'm not sure on the front if there are clearance issues with the wheel front cylinder head. I really don't want to extend the wheel base any more, it's long enough already.

Frankly I'm quite OK with the 17/19 sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts