Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly customizing my 2018 Desert Sled Black Edition. Thought I'd start a thread to share my progress and get some feedback.

My goal with this build is a light adventure tourer that doesn't compromise on style. Before settling on the DS, I considered the Bonneville Scrambler, Moto Guzzi V7 Stornello, DR650, and F800GS. The Desert Sled ultimately won me over on specs and style though.

Brand New
IMG_2575.JPG

Hepco & Becker Engine Guard
IMG_2579.JPG

Tried out the Ducati "Cafe Racer Twin Seater Seat", but it was too tall for me.
IMG_2603.jpg

Added Barkbusters VPS
IMG_2680.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I love the styling of the 2018 Cafe Racer. I wanted to copy the gold inlay around the tank panel. The colour and finish of the Desert Sled rims is really hard to match though.

IMG_3087.JPG
Left to right:
Vvivid Liquid Metal Yellow (looks a little greenish)
Vvivid Satin Gold Chrome (looks more greenish)
Avery SW900 Satin Safari Gold 260 (closest in hue, but very matte)

Tried with Avery 260:
IMG_3146.jpg
Installed it looks more yellow than gold... Lighting changes the appearance a lot, so I'll take a pic outside tomorrow. I think I'm going to try the Vvivid Liquid Metal Yellow on the other side and keep whichever looks better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vinyl installation job wasn't as good as I thought it was. It started bubbling/peeling the next day, mostly in the concave part of the top right, one of the last sections I stuck down. Between the subtle overall convexity of the tank and the tight concave bend here, I guess it was too much for the adhesive.

IMG_3158.jpg

Anyone know if the red inlay on the white DS, or the gold inlay on the CF are vinyl or paint?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love the engine guards. I installed the Tourtec windscreen. Lots of protection by loud at speed. Best for off road though because it provides lots of protection from dirt, etc. I plan on taking the bike across the Continental Divide Trail in the US next summer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hot tip for anyone finding it hard to reinstall the tank panels on their Scramblers:
A little bit of soapy water on the metal tab on the panel and on the rubber insert that receives it makes it WAY easier.

Maybe obvious to some, but I wish I had come across that tip.
Or use a touch of silicone grease as silicone won’t damage the rubber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts