Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slowly customizing my 2018 Desert Sled Black Edition. Thought I'd start a thread to share my progress and get some feedback.

My goal with this build is a light adventure tourer that doesn't compromise on style. Before settling on the DS, I considered the Bonneville Scrambler, Moto Guzzi V7 Stornello, DR650, and F800GS. The Desert Sled ultimately won me over on specs and style though.

Brand New
IMG_2575.JPG

Hepco & Becker Engine Guard
IMG_2579.JPG

Tried out the Ducati "Cafe Racer Twin Seater Seat", but it was too tall for me.
IMG_2603.jpg

Added Barkbusters VPS
IMG_2680.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I love the styling of the 2018 Cafe Racer. I wanted to copy the gold inlay around the tank panel. The colour and finish of the Desert Sled rims is really hard to match though.

IMG_3087.JPG
Left to right:
Vvivid Liquid Metal Yellow (looks a little greenish)
Vvivid Satin Gold Chrome (looks more greenish)
Avery SW900 Satin Safari Gold 260 (closest in hue, but very matte)

Tried with Avery 260:
IMG_3146.jpg
Installed it looks more yellow than gold... Lighting changes the appearance a lot, so I'll take a pic outside tomorrow. I think I'm going to try the Vvivid Liquid Metal Yellow on the other side and keep whichever looks better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vinyl installation job wasn't as good as I thought it was. It started bubbling/peeling the next day, mostly in the concave part of the top right, one of the last sections I stuck down. Between the subtle overall convexity of the tank and the tight concave bend here, I guess it was too much for the adhesive.

IMG_3158.jpg

Anyone know if the red inlay on the white DS, or the gold inlay on the CF are vinyl or paint?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Love the engine guards. I installed the Tourtec windscreen. Lots of protection by loud at speed. Best for off road though because it provides lots of protection from dirt, etc. I plan on taking the bike across the Continental Divide Trail in the US next summer.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hot tip for anyone finding it hard to reinstall the tank panels on their Scramblers:
A little bit of soapy water on the metal tab on the panel and on the rubber insert that receives it makes it WAY easier.

Maybe obvious to some, but I wish I had come across that tip.
Or use a touch of silicone grease as silicone won’t damage the rubber.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a little update on my bike.

I've added the fender extender that comes on the Sixty2 (part no. 4601C881B). I drilled two holes in the license plate bracket to line up with the mounting holes on the extender. Screws are M8x20 if I remember correctly — same thread as the Ducati "special screws" (77919601AA), but not like $3 each.

IMG_4303.jpg IMG_4304.jpg IMG_4309.jpg

Also replaced the stock levers with some cheap shorties from AliExpress. Black and Gold, of course.

Bike is looking pretty dusty from sitting all winter. Time for a wash and a rub down with ACF50.

2016 DUCATI SCRAMBLER ICON
100 Posts
I've been slowly customizing my 2018 Desert Sled Black Edition. Thought I'd start a thread to share my progress and get some feedback.

My goal with this build is a light adventure tourer that doesn't compromise on style. Before settling on the DS, I considered the Bonneville Scrambler, Moto Guzzi V7 Stornello, DR650, and F800GS. The Desert Sled ultimately won me over on specs and style though.

Brand New
View attachment 41307

Hepco & Becker Engine Guard
View attachment 41309
Tried out the Ducati "Cafe Racer Twin Seater Seat", but it was too tall for me.
View attachment 41311
Added Barkbusters VPS
View attachment 41313
AWESOME LOOK,,,,good luck,,,,,,,from a Ducati Scrambler Icon rider here in U.S.A.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts