Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a leo vince SLIP ON GpII exhaust
after 1 hour of moving the curve of the exhaust ive noticed that it does NOT work
i email the company and recieve an automatic responde "we are vacactions till sept"
i wtire the FB page, TW, instagram

After a week they answer..."aparently the curve of the desert is different from the scramble"
no joke???

i have to make and adjustent, bought a spacer...wrong
not even an apology, or ill send u a sticker

not recommended

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
That's not LeoVince's fault right?

The mounting point behind the footpeg on the DS is different than all the other scramblers...

Or maybe I don't quite understand you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had a Leo Vince on a Husqvarna, it seemed like a quality piece. The DS has different swing arm geometry and passenger peg locations than other Scramblers. If the model sells well, manufacturers will address the changes, hopefully soon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The desert sled is longer, taller, heavier and has 2" more suspension on both ends. I makes sense that it doesn't fit.
That being said, I have a Classic on which it fits perfectly and it's a quality piece that performs well and sounds real gnarly.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It's easy to make a bracket to the passenger peg, unless you have taken them off (like me).

But anyway, you didn't check if it was compatible?

You will run into this with ANY Scrambler exhaust unless it was specifically made for the DS.

Don't blame LeoVince, Blame Ducati ;-)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have contacted Leo Vince regarding the GP Style SS slip-on that's listed for the std Scramblers. Yes indeed the mounting bracket is different.

That being said, I plan to purchase it anyway and fabricate my own bracket. I told the guy "the company should consider making the correct bracket and offering the GP Style slip-on for the Sled as it's far more luggage friendly and IMO better looking and sounding than the other options.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I decided to buy the GP and fabricate my own custom bracket as that's all that is needed. I talked to Leo Vince USA and told them they really need to design a bracket as this pipe makes huge sense on the Sled.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any motorcycle manufacturer can try to save money on suspensions or on the quality of the paint, for example. But it will not do it in the exhaust pipe, it's a cheap and very important part.
No one better than the manufacturer knows the type of exhaust that the engine needs. If you like to make noise, go ahead, but the behavior of the engine will not improve.
You can pay 1000 USD for a Termigioni, which has a manufacturing cost of 50. It's up to you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any motorcycle manufacturer can try to save money on suspensions or on the quality of the paint, for example. But it will not do it in the exhaust pipe, it's a cheap and very important part.
No one better than the manufacturer knows the type of exhaust that the engine needs. If you like to make noise, go ahead, but the behavior of the engine will not improve.
You can pay 1000 USD for a Termigioni, which has a manufacturing cost of 50. It's up to you.
The manufacturer needs to adhere to several emission and noise standards, most of which are detrimental to design and sound. Do you think Ducati put the massive outboard silencer on the 959 because it was the best for the bike? Or the 10-pound breadbox under the Scrambler for better performance? Some of us want the bike to look, and sound better than the government allows us to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
And some of us want the best sound and performance ... within the law, manufacturers too.
(Ask your neighborhood about the noise of the bikes).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm between both camps here. Not that worried about different exhausts, in fact love the look of the Termi slip-on but it does shit me when they're too loud (And I did used to run a very loud antisocial 'zuast on my 748). Noise pollution, particularly in a crowded city, can be very annoying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This statement is not entirely true.

The manufacture certainly does know what the engine best needs, but that has to be tempered with local and international regulations which are quite typically far from ideal performance parameters. One of the factors brought on in the past decade or so is the requirement for catalytic converters which need to be integrated into the exhaust system and a key reason why we see "bread box" type features in many exhaust systems.

If you replace the items causing restriction (both exhaust and intake in balance) you can certainly make more power, closer to what the engineers had in mind when designing the engine and often near what you see on racing bikes.

Systems such as the factory sponsored Termis etc. are sold as "race only" in most cases and do not adhere to the full regulations and often are supplied with a corrected ECU map to compensate for the changes in airflow. Usually that high Termi price includes a new ECU map which on the open market typically runs around $450-500 to have a ECU reflashed so take that into consideration when comparing the price.

If you make the statement that you probably can't beat the performance of a factory system while still remaining 100% legal in all markets the bike is sold in, you are probably correct. Sometimes you can do a little better on the tone or lose some weight which can also be a reasonable motive for change. In the case of the Sled, I removed 10 lbs of weight by replacing the OEM CAT/muffler (13 lbs) with a Leo Vince GP style slip-on (3 lbs).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm between both camps here. Not that worried about different exhausts, in fact love the look of the Termi slip-on but it does shit me when they're too loud (And I did used to run a very loud antisocial 'zuast on my 748). Noise pollution, particularly in a crowded city, can be very annoying.
Yes, excessive sound levels are irritating for sure. I won't even go into the average levels of the Harley crowd..... but rolling thunder is pretty accurate.

I have decided to keep the DB killer installed on my Leo Vince as I have on other bikes as I like the tone and small increase in volume without being overly loud with full open. It can make a difference in performance as I have tested on my Sport Classic with Termis (DB Killer in vs out), so it's a trade off you have to make.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Usually that high Termi price includes a new ECU map which on the open market typically runs around $450-500 to have a ECU reflashed so take that into consideration when comparing the price.
Which typically consists of a tech hooking a computer to a port on the bike and pushing a button on the keyboard. There is about $2 worth of work involved if you exclude the few dollars that the development of the map cost it is simply profit for all involved in the process except the sucker paying the money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Which typically consists of a tech hooking a computer to a port on the bike and pushing a button on the keyboard. There is about $2 worth of work involved if you exclude the few dollars that the development of the map cost it is simply profit for all involved in the process except the sucker paying the money.
The $$$ isn't for the tech's time, it's for dyno/development time for Termi, Ducati, or ??? to develop the new map that gets loaded. You could say exactly the same about any other remapping service, they all run ~$450-500, it's the market rate regardless if you go Rexxer, Power Commander (more if custom dyno mapped been there....), Bazzaz, RapidBike, etc. Some you buy hardware and get maps free, others you pay for a service and get a map, it all comes out about the same in the end though some have more benefits for people who know how to use the hardware tools.

With some bikes you are lucky and some heroic people have spent a great deal of their personal time to develop "free" software to allow editing the ECU maps on some bikes and even more people have spend time to data log and develop good quality maps to load into the ECU. But a good many dyno shops or brand specific tuners still charge about the same to do so, been there also.

I've done a fair bit of my own custom map editing/development and it's very time consuming which is where the $$$ comes in of you're paying for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts