Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
So, it's a great looking bike . . No question there. . But. . As far as being different from the UE in any practical sense I guess I'm not really seeing it.

I got an UE specifically for the color and the High mudguard look but I never saw it a more or less "capable" than the other modles on dirt or pavement. . . I'm failing to see where this one really is as well. . . And again. Great looking version.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do see it :)

More legroom (lower footpegs), longer wheel base, more wheel travel, sexy looks....

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, it's a great looking bike . . No question there. . But. . As far as being different from the UE in any practical sense I guess I'm not really seeing it.

I got an UE specifically for the color and the High mudguard look but I never saw it a more or less "capable" than the other modles on dirt or pavement. . . I'm failing to see where this one really is as well. . . And again. Great looking version.
the ~3" of additional suspension travel will make a huge difference off road.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I had the cash, I wouldn't hesitate. A great homage to the XT500. But that is a lot of money for a bike that performs less well than my Icon, unless I want to ride along a beach now and again. So for me, an extra couple grand for aesthetic only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Heavier, taller=slower, less nimble at speed.
Depends on terrain, my Classic gets a bit out of shape on bumps, esp corrugated dirt, extra travel and some damping wouldn't make it worse
Prob about same price diff as just fixing suspension at std length, IF DS has good susp std & extra 2" travel & ground clearance I can see the value in Australia where roads are not all bitumen and even the ones that are have potholes that hurt, suspension is not an aesthetic to me
But if it had a fuel tank that'd do 200 miles easily, I'd be convinced it's a no brainer
Not sure where the extra 20Kg is but someone will tell me I'm sure

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frame, wheels, swingarm, front forks, triple trees... do the math.

I have never riden an Icon or UE, but if it's anything like a Monster, it could actually too nimble for my taste ( I never liked the Monster, felt too nervous/nimble for me ).

If I wanted speed I would never consider a Scrambler but a KTM 1290 Super Duke instead.

Just saying...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I almost got the UE because of the color, but what I've always wanted was a Street Tracker. Since I was a kid many many years ago I used to race Flat Track at Ascot. Was going to build myself a street tracker based off the Yama xs650. Never had the time nor money. When I saw the FTP I fell in love. Having some mild dirt road capabilities is icing on the cake, mostly I ride street. The DS with a high exhaust and more travel would increase the off road capabilities. Just not my priorities at my age.

·
Registered
243 Posts

I have never riden an Icon or UE, but if it's anything like a Monster, it could actually too nimble for my taste ( I never liked the Monster, felt too nervous/nimble for me ).

If I wanted speed I would never consider a Scrambler but a KTM 1290 Super Duke instead.

Just saying...
Likewise, if I had the money for a 1290 KTM, I would have got a better bike than a Scrambler. Speed and agility wise, the Icon fit the bill for the price tag. For the price of a DS version of the same bike, I'd want same or better performance figures. So it looks like a couple of grand for a different look.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quite a lot of changes going on, you can tell side by side. I got to have a poke around at a big bike show.

Significantly taller/more ground clearance due to that longer travel suspension. The frame is also beefed up a lot. Comes with much more aggressive dual sport tyres as standard. The ergonomics are much more focused on off road riding. These are mostly things that COULD be achieved by modding a standard Scrambler but you'd be spending a lot of money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just saying...
Exactly
For me, I have to buy, dissasemble and weigh to get numbers for maths, if you know which of these are heavier and by how much, exactly, I'd be grateful.

But , as I found out today, a bit of ride height ain't gonna hurt, maybe more so on twisty bitumen, std muffler on Classic pic in PR4 thread. , DS twin pipes prob no narrower but at least they're higher !!

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is a pity that this suspension system was not fitted to all Scramblers from the start, though Maxton would probably not agree. Two of the most attractive features of the Classic are the low seat height and weight, so I am not tempted to swap for a DS. I wonder if its seat has been improved.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They say the seat was changed (bit narrower at the front, and higher obviously), but I doubt if it's more comfortable. I can't care about that coming off a DR650SE, which has a 2x4 as a seat, I don't even hate it like most people do.

@mods: time for a separate DS subforum?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts