Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found here.

Installation is pretty straight forward. Keep in mind you will need to break 4 decent sized bolts free that are held in place with red industrial Loc-Tite. An impact wrench was needed for the lower left side. The directions call for using the included spacer on the left side upper fastener- it was gapped out when I did that so I removed the spacer and everything fit up well. The only spacers I used were for left and right lower.

The setup is really, really clean and looks as close to OEM as I think an aftermarket part can get. Extremely well made and effing rock solid. The price may be a little steep but I think it does compliment the bike better than the SW-Motech offering. The SW-M bar is a little more expensive but I know their quality is fantastic also.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It did take about a month to get these in and I am still waiting for the upper guards that protect the oil radiators.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found here.

Installation is pretty straight forward. Keep in mind you will need to break 4 decent sized bolts free that are held in place with red industrial Loc-Tite. An impact wrench was needed for the lower left side. The directions call for using the included spacer on the left side upper fastener- it was gapped out when I did that so I removed the spacer and everything fit up well. The only spacers I used were for left and right lower.

The setup is really, really clean and looks as close to OEM as I think an aftermarket part can get. Extremely well made and effing rock solid. The price may be a little steep but I think it does compliment the bike better than the SW-Motech offering. The SW-M bar is a little more expensive but I know their quality is fantastic also.
Thanks for posting the pics Knutty! Those do look really good.

Do you think they offer any more or less protection than the SW-Motech guards? I'm asking as the design of the Hepco & Becker and SW-Motech guards are pretty different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really think that is the $1m question. In my opinion, I believe both sets offer the same amount of protection but I would have to probably add a caveat that one would need the upper (oil cooler guards) in addition to the lower HB guards to equal the totality of the SWM set. That being said I felt that for the style of riding I do, the lower set alone would have been enough for simple layovers in the dirt. I did add the oil cooler guards but in all honesty- I do not think they were worth the $$ or even offer that much protection. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
** I went with the upper and lower HB set for the looks over the SWM set...in all honesty the SWM is probably a better product by a small fraction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How did you SWM work out for you? Installation? Protection? Pics? Just bought a DS and am interested in those or the H&B or other. Many thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How did you SWM work out for you? Installation? Protection? Pics? Just bought a DS and am interested in those or the H&B or other. Many thanks!
Really well, I've dropped the bike a couple times off-road and cant find a scratch on the bike.

I must admit, I do like the H&B's design a little better than the SWM's, but only if you're using both the upper and lower H&B guards...which can be an expensive combo.

All in all I think that if the bike is dropped on a flat surface both would offer the same level of protection. The H&B's would offer better protection if you dropped somewhere rocky.

Pics of SWM below.

Also, quote my original post if you want to get my, or any other poster's, attention. I just happened to catch your post by accident.
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. It looks like you also have some rear spools installed for the lift- are they on the axle or mounted on the swing arm? On my Versys they were on the swing arm so I could take the wheel off, but I have not seen that option for the DS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks. It looks like you also have some rear spools installed for the lift- are they on the axle or mounted on the swing arm? On my Versys they were on the swing arm so I could take the wheel off, but I have not seen that option for the DS.
Not running spools, those are just sliders. They are axle mounted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the alternative protections out there help?

Take the Evo-Tech Front and Rear Spindle bobbins. How can they even help me out when the bike goes down? I see all other parts hit the ground first and glide on the ground.
EP Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled Rear Spindle Bobbins 2017+

Maybe the Crash Protection bobbin from Evo-Tech. It looks like this stands out a bit from the bike. Thats good.
EP Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled Crash Protection Bobbins 2017+

If anything helps, or looks like it will protect the bike, it is the Hepco & Becker Engine Guard as topic shows.
Motorschutzbügel - schwarz für Ducati Scrambler 800 Desert Sled / 2017-> - Scrambler 800 Desert Sled (2017-) - DUCATI - Mein Bike

Have anyone crashed with any of these on?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Found here.

Hey Nutty,

Where did you get those small loops that attach to the rear passenger peg mounts? Did you fab those or purchase them somewhere?

They look great for luggage straps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ danketchpal

I removed the rear pegs and mounting hardware which left me with two parallel and drilled surfaces which I then drilled out a little further to accommodate stainless steel D-rings (bought from a sailing shop online). I dipped them and use them for exactly that- tie downs for a big roll bag or other luggage. Really makes life easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the alternative protections out there help?

Take the Evo-Tech Front and Rear Spindle bobbins. How can they even help me out when the bike goes down? I see all other parts hit the ground first and glide on the ground.
EP Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled Rear Spindle Bobbins 2017+

Maybe the Crash Protection bobbin from Evo-Tech. It looks like this stands out a bit from the bike. Thats good.
EP Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled Crash Protection Bobbins 2017+

If anything helps, or looks like it will protect the bike, it is the Hepco & Becker Engine Guard as topic shows.
Motorschutzbügel - schwarz für Ducati Scrambler 800 Desert Sled / 2017-> - Scrambler 800 Desert Sled (2017-) - DUCATI - Mein Bike

Have anyone crashed with any of these on?
Not really a crash, but I dropped it just taking off in loose gravel after a pause , so low speed. No scratches anywhere except brake lever and grip and a bit on the engine guard. I recommend them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anybody install the HB Engine Guards on a 2019 DS? I just installed a set and they match up with the engine and frame fine but the lower bolt assembly interferes with the rear brake switch bracket (attached to foot peg mount). I can't see how these guards can work, it seems Duc changed the brake switch in 2019. Got a call/email to Motomachines but haven't heard yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody install the HB Engine Guards on a 2019 DS? I just installed a set and they match up with the engine and frame fine but the lower bolt assembly interferes with the rear brake switch bracket (attached to foot peg mount). I can't see how these guards can work, it seems Duc changed the brake switch in 2019. Got a call/email to Motomachines but haven't heard yet.
Same boat. However, the rear brake switch had already broken off on mine (google this, it's an issue for many 2019 DS users) Mine, in the end was held on by zip ties as a fix. I ended up just unplugging and removing it. The rear brake switch has a dual purpose tho, in addition to actuating the brake light, it also stops the brake lever from moving too high up, the base of the Engine Guard will now take over this job. Now, you'll have to end up using the handbrake to actuate the brake light :/ But it was worth it to me, especially after the headache I've already been dealing with that damn switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So after a week of back and forth with Moto machines and them with Hepco Becker, they have asked me to return the crash bars at their cost. There is no way for these crash bars to work with a 2019 DS; there is simply not enough room with the brake switch bracket; they are well built and designed bars but not suitable for the newer switch.

Kudos to Moto machines for taking care of me. They worked with me initially thinking I was installing them incorrectly but after multiple photos and measurements they seem to have realized they won't work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A shame that the H&B lower engine guards don’t fit the ‘19+ DS bikes but good for Motomachines for taking care of you.

Hoping that H&B updates their design to release a kit for ‘19+ bikes. Of all the guards, I think the upper and lower guards from H&B are best looking (hopefully functioning) combo, compared to the Givi and SW Motech ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts