Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I wanted to ask you a question. Do you think it is possible to install the side end plate of Urban Enduro on Desert Sled? Maybe it will not be effective in the case of off road, but technically it could be done in your opinion? It would be the best personal choice in terms of aesthetics of my DS.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
License plate bracket? Dunno Yeah I think it could fit. Evotech also has a bracket for the Desert Sled.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The OE plate holder and bracket will NOT fit the Desert Sled as it mounts to the swingarm and the DS does not have the mounting holes for it.
Be careful if thinking of other models after market plate brackets/tailtidys as the Desert Sled uses a different tail piece. It's longer than the Urban Enduro / Icon version. I first thought the Classics steel tubular plate holder was the same as the Sleds but it turns out it's a different length too.
I'm not just assuming this info, I actually have them all and fitted or modified each one.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Urban Enduro license plate bracket is attached to the rear fender afaik, and not to the swingarm. I don't know if it fits the DS or not though...

You can always make something yourself...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn! I imagined it. I have seen that pictures but I really like the side license plate, the one with the arm that goes around the wheel. I hope some aftermarket parts will come..

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
You want the side mounted license plate holder (if it fits...)??

I think it would break the beautiful lines of the DS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think? Matters of taste.. I think it would make it more and more beautiful. A kind of U E but better ...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
IMG_0021.JPG
Urban Enduro license plate bracket is attached to the rear fender afaik, and not to the swingarm. I don't know if it fits the DS or not though...

I can assure you that when I bought my Urban Enduro the number plate bracket WAS mounted to the swingarm and was the first thing I changed. I now have a Desert Sled, an Urban Enduro and a Classic plus others sitting nicely in the man cave, all of which have been modified to some degree.
If you zoom into the sprocket area you will see mounting bolts on the swingarm that don't exist on the Desert Sled

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I stand corrected.

(Seriously thought the EU was the only one that had the plate mounted to the rear fender)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I stand corrected.

(Seriously thought the EU was the only one that had the plate mounted to the rear fender)
I did write that I was not assuming but did actually own them and have modified them all. The one that came with the plate already mounted on the mudguard/fender (apart from the DS) is the Classic which my wife has. This too has been tidied up to hide the lamp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 20249
I can assure you that when I bought my Urban Enduro the number plate bracket WAS mounted to the swingarm and was the first thing I changed. I now have a Desert Sled, an Urban Enduro and a Classic plus others sitting nicely in the man cave, all of which have been modified to some degree.
If you zoom into the sprocket area you will see mounting bolts on the swingarm that don't exist on the Desert Sled
Do you think i can still buy the swing arm license plate and mount it to the DS with some brackets or some homehand work??
Making a couple of holes in the DS left side wheel for example.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
I come from an Harley Davidson, I got no problem to modify the frame or everything to make the baby as much as I like it..
It's your bike, no problem...

The swingarm is an essential part of a bike, I wouldn't modify it "in my garage" believing I can do better than Ducati's engineers...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Try reselling it with a few holes drilled in the swingarm...

Serious, just accept it won't fit and move on.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Do you think i can still buy the swing arm license plate and mount it to the DS with some brackets or some homehand work??
Making a couple of holes in the DS left side wheel for example.
Many Thanks
The Urban Enduro has a boss on the inside edge of the swingarm which has two tapped holes to accept a steel odd shaped block, the number plate bracket bolts to this as well as the two extra tapped holes you can see in my photo.
I believe it could be done, or at least I reckon I could do it but would need a fair bit of work to achieve the strength needed as the complete bracket is quite heavy plus the shock loads are substantial. Also the paint finish would be damaged as I think TIG welding would be required.
It's your bike to do with what you want, don't listen to the nae sayers. There's a been joker on here already who made their Urban Enduro look like a wooden boat.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
(and we had another joker here loudmouthing about how his side mounted license plate blacket sheared off whike riding...)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
A
(and we had another joker here loudmouthing about how his side mounted license plate blacket sheared off whike riding...)
Aye, I think I can remember a mad bad Indian going to bring down Ducati when the bike he stripped and rebuilt to his liking fell to bits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts