Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted to add some additional fuel for an insurance policy when exploring mountain/fire roads so this is what I came up with.

1) 1 gallon Rotopax fuel container
2) You need the mount or locking mount (which I went with) or you could easily fashion your own custom one
3) I started with a SW-Motech SLC Right side mount (which went on sale because there is a new version (doesn't matter at all for this project) Found here and down from $99 to $39.
4) I made a cardboard template and cut/shaped simple 1/8 inch (.125") aluminum like this. 14 bucks vs. the only other mount that I know of for this use for this bike.

4 hours and in for about $150. Rotopax isn't the cheapest gas can but they do mate up nicely. Just a simple but very useful project. Thanks for lookin' Some pics:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot really answer that for certain but I think it will depend on the passenger and how you fine tune your mount. I think you can easily tweak it if it interferes. I snapped a few more shots for you to check out. Wifey only rides 2 up with me on my GSA- I'll never two up on the DS and since I am 6'2" I am not a really good judge of pillion room. I took off my rear pegs, drilled out the holes a little, and tossed in some stainless D-ring shackles for recovery/tow/strap mount after plastidipping them. I stood one of the rings out to simulate a peg so you can make a better call. Hope it works out!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did order the flexible spout to use with the can but haven't messed with it yet. good call. I will go check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cannot really answer that for certain but I think it will depend on the passenger and how you fine tune your mount. I think you can easily tweak it if it interferes. I snapped a few more shots for you to check out. Wifey only rides 2 up with me on my GSA- I'll never two up on the DS and since I am 6'2" I am not a really good judge of pillion room. I took off my rear pegs, drilled out the holes a little, and tossed in some stainless D-ring shackles for recovery/tow/strap mount after plastidipping them. I stood one of the rings out to simulate a peg so you can make a better call. Hope it works out!

View attachment 33065 View attachment 33073 View attachment 33081
What size/brand shackle did you use? I want to try the same set up on my Icon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been using a 1 gal rotopax on my tail rack. It works...... but I don't think it's the best solution at all. I had all the parts to make it happen so that's what I did.
I'm still working on a larger fuel tank option though, that's the proper fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts