Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an aftermarket slip-on exhaust for my new Desert Sled.

Does anyone know if slip-on's designed for the standard scramblers will bolt up? Somewhat concerned about the fixed mounting tab not aligning with frame mount. Leaning towards a low mount Zard system.

Thanks for any help!

Jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't now the desert sleds intimately, but I believe the swingarm is physically the same size and shape as the regular bikes in the range, albeit a bit beefed up in certain areas?

The fact that they use the same Termi shotgun exhaust on the Desert Sled as they do on the Full Throttle suggests to me that the exhaust mounting points etc ... are exactly the same as the rest of the range.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't now the desert sleds intimately, but I believe the swingarm is physically the same size and shape as the regular bikes in the range, albeit a bit beefed up in certain areas?

The fact that they use the same Termi shotgun exhaust on the Desert Sled as they do on the Full Throttle suggests to me that the exhaust mounting points etc ... are exactly the same as the rest of the range.
The swing arm on the DS is longer (creating a 2.4" longer wheelbase), and it's shaped different. That said, I agree that it's probably the same mount. I'd be surprised if Ducati didn't keep the mounting points the same, or else they are fragmenting all the exhausts. They'd have to make a special version of each one just to fit on the DS.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The exhaust is not suspended on the swingarm of course.

(there is a bracket attached to the rear brake cylinder to hold the exhaust, and like AnotherHobby said, it has the same Termi exhaust as seen on other Scrambler models, so I'm pretty sure other exhausts will fit as well)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was pretty sure they'd all use the same exhaust hanger mounting across all models, but thankful for the consensus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG
So I couldn't wait and pulled the trigger on the Akrapovic slip on (S-D8SO4). The major bummer is I could only get one bolt to mount up from the muffler to the passenger peg. The holes don't align. The other thing is that the top muffler is right up against the swingarm. Off road that may become an issue. My main concern is only get one mounting bolt installed. I'm going to hit up a muffler shop and see if they can fab a small mounting bracket for me. With a wedding and a work stuff, this probably won't happen for a couple months. The plus side is I went for a quick shakedown run and this exhaust sounds great.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
So that's a big no-no if you removed the passenger pegs (like I did)?

Bummer
For the Akras, yes. You would need the passenger pegs (or some other fabbed bracket). My Arrow exhaust on my Multi doesn't incorporate the passenger pegs for mounting, so there may be some Scrambler exhausts that don't use the pegs. I guess the DS pegs have a slightly different design than the other Scramblers. A bummer, but I'm going to find a way to make them work without making it look like garbage.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
In that case I'm keeping the stock exhaust. I'm not putting back the pillion pegs no way.

Saves me a lot of $$$ and the weightloss of an exhaust does not outweigh the weight of the duo pegs (did you see what I just did there? "Weightloss/weigh/outweigh" :biggrin-new: )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm also happy with the stock exhast for now, but if some more options become available I would dare to go for a high exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
The plus side is I went for a quick shakedown run and this exhaust sounds great.
Nice!

I'm giving some pretty serious consideration to doing the Akra exhaust on my Icon. How much louder than stock does it "feel" when you're riding it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like Arrow have brought out the first after market exhaust for the Desert Sled. Its on their web site and on e-bay, £556.47!
Has anyone had any dealings with them, what are their exhaust like?
s-l500.jpg

No modifications required and you keep the rear footrests.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Has anyone had any dealings with them, what are their exhaust like?
Arrow make quality stuff.
The only direct personal experience is the carbon Arrow exhaust that my brother has on his 748 - it sounds incredible, is very well made, and the external surface of the carbon is cool enough to touch even after romping on the bike.

Does that go on without a flash to remap?
Any exhaust "can" go on without a flash, but you're going to make a fairly lean running engine run even more lean, which isn't good in the long run. Personally, I wouldn't do any exhaust on our bikes without a flash. The big options for that are either a) buy a Termi exhaust which comes with a flash, b) buy another exhaust and get a Rexxer flash, or c) do a Power Commander or RapidBike or the like.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Any exhaust "can" go on without a flash, but you're going to make a fairly lean running engine run even more lean, which isn't good in the long run. Personally, I wouldn't do any exhaust on our bikes without a flash. The big options for that are either a) buy a Termi exhaust which comes with a flash, b) buy another exhaust and get a Rexxer flash, or c) do a Power Commander or RapidBike or the like.
d) buy the Termi Evo Line which comes without a re-map and works perfectly on a standard map.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in the market for an aftermarket slip-on exhaust for my new Desert Sled.

Does anyone know if slip-on's designed for the standard scramblers will bolt up? Somewhat concerned about the fixed mounting tab not aligning with frame mount. Leaning towards a low mount Zard system.

Thanks for any help!

Jim
sc projects 2-1 low.jpg
sc projects 2-1 low.jpg
i am getting this for my desert sled . gonna cut the footrest bracket off and refit it lower

1 - 20 of 32 Posts